cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Hallohannes123
Journeyman III

Trying to use Ryzen 5 8500G iGPU (Radeon 740M) results in black screen

I have no idea what to do next, and I haven't received any replies in multiple forums. Please help me I'm desperate

I Upgraded my dads PC with a new CPU, mobo and ram. Every time I would install the AMD Drivers (on Windows 10) the screen turns black, however Windows is still running with no video output. Installed Windows 11 onto a new m.2 SSD, same problem.

My troubleshooting attempts:

Tried different cables, display port and HDMI. Tried installing the drivers in safe mode, so the installation can finish properly. On windows 10 I would revert the graphics drivers in safe mode to the default windows graphics drivers from 2006 or whatever, and the screen is visible again. But of course I need proper drivers to use the GPU. I tried installing older versions of the driver with no change. I tried disabling fast boot, also reset the bios settings with no change. On windows 11 there are no old drivers I can revert to, but disabling the GPU in device manager results in a working output, but I obviously can't use the GPU. Interestingly, in windows 10 the screen would work at first, and then during the login screen little artifacts would show then the screen turns off. In windows 11 it seems to work for a somewhat random amount of time (a few minutes) before the output disappears.
I also tried installing an older driver version (Adrenalin 24.2.1).

I am very greatful for any help!

GPU: AMD Radeon 740M (integrated GPU)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 8500G

Motherboard: ASRock A620M-HDV/M.2+

BIOS Version: 3.01 (latest)

RAM: 2 x 16GB Patriot Viper Venom DDR5 6000MHz CL36

PSU: AeroCool MPC-Power 550W ACP-550MPC

GPU Drivers: Adrenalin 24.6.1, latest

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Hallohannes123, get your AMD drivers here. Never get your AMD software from your MB vendor. If you continue to have problems, then try with only one stick of memory. John.

Thanks for your help.

I did download my drivers from there.

I figured out that the problem was with the ram, when I set my profile to the default slow profile in UEFI it works (I thought I tried this before, guess I didn't).

So now my problem comes down to figuring out how to run my ram at advertised speeds, would be kind of dumb to run it at 4800mhz when I paid for 6000mhz CL36 DDR5 Ram for no reason...

Any suggestions?

These are my findings trying out different settings:

If I select a faster XMP Profile, my output breaks entirely and I cant even get into UEFI and have to reset by taking out the battery. I can get around this like this:

The profile sets 2 timings to RTT_OFF (RTT_NOM and another one I think). If I change these 2 values to RZQ/3 the issue where nothing, not even uefi works is gone at least, however windows still shows a black screen a few seconds after logging in.

To fix this I also have to change Infinity Fabric Frequency and UCLK DIVI mode to auto and turn down the speed to 4800mhz. Now windows works.

These settings are the critical ones, all other timings that are set by the profile don't seem to be the problem. I dont really now what these settings do, except for the mhz speed, which I obviously would like to increase beyond 4800mhz.

Hallohannes123, I do not know: "... profile to the default slow profile...". Perhaps this is something defined by your MB vendor, so you need to talk to them. Please stay out of BIOS and do a Clear CMOS. DL the Thaiphoon utility, run it and post a screenshot. Thanks, John.

EDIT: Here's mine:

Thaiphoon.png

Please post your Monitor Make & Model and how it is connected to the ASRock motherboard? 

Using an Monitor Adapter (HDMI >VGA, DP>HDMI as an example) by any chance?

Went to your ASRock Motherboard QVL LIST For RAM for the Phoenix Processors (8500G): https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A620M-HDVM.2/index.asp#MemoryPHX

Screenshot 2024-07-24 144151.pngScreenshot 2024-07-24 144403.png

These are all the 6000Mz RAM that has been tested to be compatible with the Ryzen 8500G processor on your Motherboard by ASRock Support.

Go to your Patriot RAM website and see if it shows to be compatible  with your Motherboard and/or Processor.

Since your father's PC is booting up into Windows but without any video output than you need to troubleshoot further.

Did you follow the ASRock Motherboard BIOS update instructions in yellow if you updated from a BIOS version older than 2.02: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A620M-HDVM.2/index.asp#BIOS

Screenshot 2024-07-24 145902.png

Downloaded your ASRock BIOS Manul and found the GPU Settings :Screenshot 2024-07-24 150755.pngScreenshot 2024-07-24 151049.png

NOTE: If you have a GPU card installed BIOS will automatically make the GPU card the main Display adapter for your PC and the IGPU secondary otherwise the IGPU would be the Main Display Adapter for your father's PC.

0 Likes