Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AwOken1
Adept I

Ryzen 7 7800x3d ATX 4-Pin

Hi,

I just bought a new PC setup and encountered a potential problem, so I would like to discuss it with someone more knowledgeable.

Basic info about the setup:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO White

Graphics Card: GAINWARD GeForce RTX 3050 Pegasus 6G

RAM: Kingston FURY 32GB KIT DDR5 6000MHz CL36 Beast Black

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B650 EAGLE AX

Power Supply: CORSAIR VX550W POWER SUPPLY CMPSU-550VX

The only component I kept from my old setup is the power supply, and even though I read everywhere online that these components should be compatible, I have come across a potential issue.

When connecting the power supply to the ATX, there was no problem, but for the ATX_12V, I only have an ATX 4-pin, while the motherboard has an EPS 12V 8-pin.

Could I experience performance issues or damage to any components if I connect an ATX 4-pin to the EPS 12V 8-pin with this setup? Should I buy a better PSU?

I plan to regularly perform CPU-intensive tasks and would appreciate getting the best out of the CPU.

Thanks

0 Likes
6 Replies

Most motherboard will not work if you don't have the ATX EPS 8 Pin connected.

This is a power connector to your CPU processor.  Many boards come wtih a 8 pin and a 4 or 6 pin ATX power connections. The only one required in most cases is the 8 Pin power connection. The 4/6 Pin connection is if you are going to overclock your processor and your motherboard needs to deliver extra power to the processor.

From your Motherboard's Manual concerning the ATX 8 pin CPU power connector: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650-EAGLE-AX/support#support-manual

Screenshot 2024-08-05 192606.png

You can purchase a ATX EPS 8 Pin PSU Adapter cable like these from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/8-pin-eps-adapter/s?k=8+pin+eps+adapter

Screenshot 2024-08-05 192120.png

So I've got news about this topic.

Bought an adapter (I expect that if there are any problems, I will buy a new PSU) and pc started on. Everything was fine until 3rd start.

At 3rd start I got a quick vga red led light then in a few seconds I got a CPU red light on MB instead. I couldn't turn off PC even when holding the power button for a minute and I've found nothing helpful on internet how to turn it off safely. So I turned off PSU and I hope the next start wouldn't be the same.

I have no idea what was that, but if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

I hope you purchased the correct type of PSU ATX adapter and you were able to install the plug easily without being forced on. 

Can you post the Make & Model of the ATX Adapter that your purchased?

If you needed to force the plug on it is possible the plug holes are not the same shape as the motherboard's ATX connector thus possibly shorting out the motherboard. But if that was the case then your motherboard wouldn't have worked the first two times since it would have shorted out both the PSU and motherboard.

Visually check the EPS plug connector shapes and make sure they are the same input shapes on the Motherboard's EPS connection - Square to Square and Circular to Circular.

The first two times you computer booted up and you had no issue at all than the 3rd time is when you had problems?.

Both the GPU and CPU are the same hardware (Processor) unless you have a separate GPU card installed. 

If you are able to boot up again download load OCCT and run the CPU stress test first and check the PSU power outputs, Temperatures, and Fan speeds.

The only thing that comes to mind is the the Motherboard's 8 pin EPS connection might be overpowering your 4 pin PSU port. when the CPU was under heavy loads.

Here a couple of Tech Forum sites concerning using a PSU ATX 4 Pin CPU to a Motherboard's 8 pin EPS connection:

https://superuser.com/questions/386138/can-i-safely-use-a-psu-with-an-atx-12v-4-pin-for-a-board-that...

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/need-8-pin-power-to-cpu-ive-just-got-4.361014/

https://toolspond.com/8-pin-eps-connectors/

Thus using OCCT to run a CPU test to check your PSU outputs - 3.3/5.0/12 Vdc. They all should be within 5% tolerances (PSU 12 v minimum should be 11.4 vdc output) as an example.

NOTE: Might be safer to upgrade your PSU to a newer model that has a native EPS 8 Pin Port rather then take the chance of your Motherboard or CPU being damaged. 

I read some EPS 8 pin Adapters that uses a Molex and 4 pin to a EPS 8 pin cable may not be able to supply the proper voltage your Mobo EPS 8 pin connection which powers your motherboard's VRM.

0 Likes

Adapter I bought:

https://m.alza.cz/akasa-4pin-na-8pin-atx-d2268958.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjwk8e1BhALEiwAc8MHiOsNsZUYCiQz3c8y...

First boot:

I had red light on VGA led. HDMI display connected to GPU. Everything in bios seems normal.

Second boot:

Checking if I can run up my windows 10 from previous computer so I connected SSD disk and installed drivers, windows update. Still VGA red light i guess.

Actual Third boot:

For short moment i have got some red light but everything okay and my actual GPU showed up in task manager. Pc ran for half and hour and nothing unusual. Everything was chilling in task manager. No red light.

Fourth boot:

Another 2 HDDs connected, case first time closed. Everything is okay i guess.

Fourth boot:

All usbs connected and that cpu red light occurs. Pc freezed, everything ran for almost hour until hard turn off.

Your questions:

EPS shapes was looking right from both sides. I'll check it out once more.

I do have separated GPU.

Everything in my pc during that freeze sounded and looked like healthy and stable.

Thanks a lot, I appriciate your helps!

It is possible with both your separate GPU card and the AMD APU Processor you PSU is under powered.

The 4 pin to 8 pin adapter is working correctly since you are able to boot up into Windows and you seemed have have gotten a high quality adapter.

If you just had your AMD IGPU and not a separate GPU Card installed than I would believe your 550 watt PSU would be sufficient.

(Sorry I missed that you had a separate GPU card installed otherwise I would have suggested you upgrade the PSU since it is old and not be sufficient under heavy loads.)

According to Nvidia the RTX 3050 with 8 GB of vRAM requires a minimum PSU of 550 Watts while the RTX 3050 with 6 GB of vRAM requires a minimum PSU of 300 Watts.

Since your PSU doesn't have a 8 pin EPS CPU power port and might indicate that with the power being consumed by the CPU through the Motherboard plus your GPU card is overloading the PSU. just guessing.

Just for troubleshooting purposes remove your GPU card and connect your monitor to the Motherboard's video port and see how your PC reacts when you boot up into Windows and if the GPU Trouble LED still stays lit or not.

IF everything boots up normally without the GPU card that might be a good indication your PSU is not strong enough for your PC setup.

EDIT: If you have an old PSU most likely it isn't outputting the correct voltages when under stress or it is outputting less than 550 watts from aging process.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Exemplar

A 4-pin 12V power connector (aka "P4") is rated for up to 192W.

The 7800X3D processor has a PPT limit of 162W.

Technically you are under the max power limit and it should work by plugging the 4-pin connector into half of the motherboard 8-pin socket. (the connector is keyed so that it should only fit easily into one half of the socket)

I recommend you purchase a new power supply. However if you want to use your current power supply until you are able to upgrade then I suggest using ECO mode to reduce the processor TDP or reduce the PBO power limit for PPT.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT