Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AwOken1
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 7800x3d ATX 4-Pin

Hi,

I just bought a new PC setup and encountered a potential problem, so I would like to discuss it with someone more knowledgeable.

Basic info about the setup:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO White

Graphics Card: GAINWARD GeForce RTX 3050 Pegasus 6G

RAM: Kingston FURY 32GB KIT DDR5 6000MHz CL36 Beast Black

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B650 EAGLE AX

Power Supply: CORSAIR VX550W POWER SUPPLY CMPSU-550VX

The only component I kept from my old setup is the power supply, and even though I read everywhere online that these components should be compatible, I have come across a potential issue.

When connecting the power supply to the ATX, there was no problem, but for the ATX_12V, I only have an ATX 4-pin, while the motherboard has an EPS 12V 8-pin.

Could I experience performance issues or damage to any components if I connect an ATX 4-pin to the EPS 12V 8-pin with this setup? Should I buy a better PSU?

I plan to regularly perform CPU-intensive tasks and would appreciate getting the best out of the CPU.

Thanks

0 Likes
2 Replies

Most motherboard will not work if you don't have the ATX EPS 8 Pin connected.

This is a power connector to your CPU processor.  Many boards come wtih a 8 pin and a 4 or 6 pin ATX power connections. The only one required in most cases is the 8 Pin power connection. The 4/6 Pin connection is if you are going to overclock your processor and your motherboard needs to deliver extra power to the processor.

From your Motherboard's Manual concerning the ATX 8 pin CPU power connector: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650-EAGLE-AX/support#support-manual

Screenshot 2024-08-05 192606.png

You can purchase a ATX EPS 8 Pin PSU Adapter cable like these from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/8-pin-eps-adapter/s?k=8+pin+eps+adapter

Screenshot 2024-08-05 192120.png

0 Likes
FunkZ
Exemplar

A 4-pin 12V power connector (aka "P4") is rated for up to 192W.

The 7800X3D processor has a PPT limit of 162W.

Technically you are under the max power limit and it should work by plugging the 4-pin connector into half of the motherboard 8-pin socket. (the connector is keyed so that it should only fit easily into one half of the socket)

I recommend you purchase a new power supply. However if you want to use your current power supply until you are able to upgrade then I suggest using ECO mode to reduce the processor TDP or reduce the PBO power limit for PPT.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes