cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

T0RP3D0SAS70
Journeyman III

Super high CPU Temp jumps Help

This is when I open Chrome. I've never noticed this before and I hope its just a coincidence, but I just replaced 6 case fans. Also just got MSI center. No overclock done. This does not happen when playing video games it stays as a constant (70c-75c). I have a Noctua NH-U12S Redux cooler with 2 fans. Its annoying because it also makes my CPU fans ramp up then back down constantly

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

T0RP3D0SAS70, your video does not work. Before you post, open Preview and test all links and videos.  When a program is started, the OS issues several task to Ryzen and it is very fast in running them. This causes a short rise in temperatures. Use Ryzen Master (RM) to measure temperatures. All other applications are suspect and often show erroneous results. John.

0 Likes

The video says its awaiting approval (I dont know whats taking long) but its a video of RM to measure temps. It was around 50c then I open chrome and it jumps to around 77c, then slowly trickles down back down to around 50c. I need to mention since I made this post I disabled Smart Fan in bios and for some reason temps are a lot cooler even when I put RPMS low with Fan control. Ran a couple benchmarks and it didn't go past 70c. Even Idle temps are a lot cooler (40c-50c). Temps are still jumping though.

0 Likes

T0RP3D0SAS70, 50C -> 77C is fine. Post al your parts, we do not even know what processor you have. Why are you worried? Your MB vendor define so called "Smart Fan" algorithm and I do not know what they do. I never use such schemes and run my fans on 12 Volts. John..

0 Likes

I apologize, All parts and info were in the video but I forgot the video didn't work lol. I have a ryzen 9 5900x on a MPG x570 gaming plus motherboard. Im not necessarily "worried" just more annoyed because my CPU fans ramp up and makes some noise for a second when I do almost anything. I made this post because ive never experienced this issue before or even a similar one, yet nothing changed on my pc, hardware wise or software besides installing MSI Center. The "Smart Fan" is PWM fan curve in my motherboard bios. It tells when to turn on fans and what percentage. I can manually adjust it witch I did and I helped it a lot but its not like I remember. My pc use to be quite all the time no matter what I was doing and now it seems annoyed by the littlest thing.

0 Likes

T0RP3D0SAS70, I certainly know what "Smart Fan" is supposed to do but I have not an inkling what your MB vendor implemented. I guess fan noise does not bother me much. When the MB scheme fails to work as intended, you may fry your PC. I suspect MSI Center. MB vendors tend to think they know something about the processor and implement less than optimal stuff. I recommend that users get only BIOS from the MB Vendor. John.

0 Likes

If you want a custom fan curve, just go to BIOS and you should have several options.

I would disable Smart Fan and set it to manual, make sure you have a PWM fan, if not do it by voltage.

Then create a curve of how many RPM do you want for each Temperature point. Easy.

If you already done this then....

Beware! If you have MSI Center software and it has a tab for fan control, it could be overriding the BIOS settings. It happens on every vendor.

Example:

I used to set my fan curve on BIOS but now Armoury Crate overrides BIOS settings as soon as the application starts, unless i disable the software.

The ramping up is a normal thing, as soon as the temperatures spike, the fan reacts, even if its for a couple os seconds.

Some boards have the option to react smoother, example, ASUS can be set with a "smoothing" time of 3 or 4 segs, so it won't ramp up because when its time to ramp, the temperature spike is gone.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes