Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

monkeybutts287
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 5800x

Hi,

I got a Ryzen 7 5800x and a ASUS Tuf Gaming x570 plus. When idle, my cpu is running at max boost spped (4.8ghz). I don't want this. My idle temp is anywhere from 60-70 Celsius. It's great that it's sop fast but I'd much rather have the base clock speed (3.7ghz) and have a normal idle temp. I have installed the AMD Chipset drivers from the AMD website and have not messed with my bios or motherboard settings. At this rate, these temps are going to ruin the longevity of my processor. My Ryzen 7 1700z never had this problem. Any ideas on what is going on here?

0 Likes
4 Replies

Bios settings incorrect, wrong windows power plan, software/apps loaded on startup are some of the possible causes.

You could ask on asus support forum for optimal non oc bios settings for your combo.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

That's a good idea, although might be unnecessary. I was using NZXT CAM to read my temperatures, I had a Hue+ for LED light strips so I had that software to control those lights. I shouldn't have trusted that though, not a great temperature monitoring software. I downloaded Open Hardware Monitor and that says my CPU is 35 degrees Celsius and AMD Ryzen Master is telling me a similar temp. I'm going to assume that's a more accurate reading of my temp. Ryzen Master is also saying my clock speed is in-between 500-1000mhz and that seems like a more accurate idle speed. 

0 Likes

Although not entirely necessary an AIO cooler would help for sure. I would also keep in mind, you may not have enough fans for all that is going on inside your pc (or they are facing the wrong way). Sometimes its just airflow issue.

0 Likes
h2323
Adept I

Never a bad idea to do a remount and fresh install of cooler and paste. Good place to start

3700X, Aorus X570 Pro WIFI, XFX MERC 6700XT, 32GB CL16 3600.