cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mpw
Adept II

Ryzen 5 1600 Microstutter

Message was edited by: M W - this answer should not be 'assumed answered' because a solution has not been found.

I'm essentially encountering stuttering in games and some applications, despite my temperatures being fine and low usage of the components. My questions are: is this likely hardware as it is presenting itself on operating systems, over two drives? Also, what other tests can be performed to isolate where the issue may be?

Prior to all of this, I have had difficulties with the system since I purchased the parts, and built it. I have had 3 motherboard replacements due to hard freezing, which appears to have been a PCIe lane problem from PCIe Gen 3 on the board. This is now resolved.

I have also had a problem with my GPU throttling due to heat problems, this was replaced and considered a faulty part.

Description of Problem:

On every setup I have tried, games will encounter some form of short micro stutter. This lasts a short amount of time, and occurs at seemingly unknown* intervals. It can happen in a series of stutters, or not happen for over one hour. Once it begins, it is very noticable and prominent. The stutter will last approximately between 250ms to 1 second. I observe that the frametime will often spike, but not always.

This was tested on both Linux and Windows 10, on separate drives, with fresh installs, over multiple disks. This has been tested under 'diagnostic' conditions, whereby I have installed and updated my drivers, and disabled anything that is not required, nor unrelated to the task at hand.

There are no overclocks, though I have tested with stock speeds at higher voltage. And tested with overclocks. If anything, an overclock will help. Though, I am keeping it removed. This began before any overclocking took place.

I have attempted the following:

* Replaced components

* Reinstalling the OS (and trying Linux, on different HDD's/SSD's, and removing them when other drive is in use)

* Flashing BIOS

* AMD chipset drivers

* Updating Nvidia drivers (and removing old ones with DDU)

* Reseating components

* Removing peripherals and components until the bare essentials

* Resetting CMOS

* Reducing GPU power target

* Checking VRM temps

* Disabling drivers, and keeping the bare esential drivers required to run

* Checking LatencyMon -- sometimes ntoskrnl will spike, sometimes it wont. Sometimes I will have a high ISR latency, sometimes I wont.

* Monitoring voltage

* 3 different monitors, cables and display interfaces (DVI, HDMI and displayport)

* Disabled and uninstalled monitoring software

* Reduced graphics settings in both Nvidia Control Panel and games themselves (remember, it happens in some applications, too) -- VSync off and on

* Using Prime95 for stability at stock settings -- passes all torture tests

* Tried different power plans, with different CPU % settings

* Purchased a PSU tester, and it passes all the tests.

I also disable unnecessary services and processes on both operating systems.

I've replaced the board, the GPU, and almost every other component. I've removed the network card and disabled the wifi and bluetooth drivers. My temperatures are good. To the point where Prime95 will max out around 78C on the test that produces the most heat. The GPU rarely goes above 70C unless in stress testing, and averages at around 61C during load. CPU averages around 58C during load.

There appears to be no throttling, or no obvious sign in monitoring software when this takes place.

The voltages appear to be fine, and hit the target voltages.

I do not know what to monitor anymore. I am kind of at a loss for where to look.

Clearing 'Standby Memory' on Windows appears to help for a short period of time, so I would have assumed disk/ram. Though, yesterday when I 'undervolted' (reduced power target) my GPU, it also helped for a long period of time. This does not always work, though. Sometimes I can remove the stanby memory and it will still happen, just less so. I cannot find the cause.

Component List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  MSI B450M Mortar

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2400 Memory x 2 (16GB total) G Skill Flare X 3200 CL14

Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Crucial MX500 2.5" Solid State Drive (500GB)

Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card

Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  Corsair RMx 650W 80+

Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter - Not connected

Monitors: Acer - XF240H 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  x 2

Updated component list

0 Likes
247 Replies
szychmistrz
Adept II

Hello mate do you still fighting with does microstutter or sie you find a solution    

0 Likes

Still fighting it, my friend.

Small update: I purchased an RX580 AMD card.

It DID NOT solve the issue.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

Me to   

0 Likes
sacekusha
Journeyman III

I really wanna find out how this plays out, i'm building a new pc and i have to decide if i want to go amd or intel, this looks reeeeaalllyy baaaad for AMD.

Did you try locking  cpu frequency? I watched some youtube videos when people had major lag spikes because supersmart cpu microcode sucked at deciding at which speed to run in game, and it was dropping clocks from time to time to very low clocks, setting fixed cpu speed with motherboard utility software fixed that issue instantly, maybe you wanna try that?

0 Likes

My clocks have been locked, yes. I have tried stock speeds with and without

boost (BIOS).

I have tried power plans locking at 100%. I have tried disabling C-States.

I have tried overclocking, with locked speeds and power plan, etc.

I've tried it all.

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Small update: I purchased an RX580 AMD card.

It DID NOT solve the issue. There was also significant coil whine, so that will be returned.

I tried with 3 cores only enabled. Nada.

I tried disabling other pstates and using AMD CBS overclock (and no overclock) -- nada.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

I have write like 10 lines what i think about this but amd has blocking my post i cant past it  

0 Likes

I am beginning to think major design flaw with Ryzen CPU, yes.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

Mate its cpu !! look on youtube when people having framerate on they videos time to time spikes and microlag , i got 2600x bought for 220 euro  i could buy easly i5 8600k but i have choose AMD for ,,future gaming’’ and big sentiment for this company i didnt know that cpu from 2018 has problem with all games (depends in time were i am gonna achive stutter , in pubg any 10-15 sec , Batman arkham knight when flying driving , For Honor any 3-5 minutes etc ) what i am gonna to do right now ?? I am selling in PRIVATE Cpu + Motherboard in Nice price cheaper like 40% price in the shop i hope that someone buy and i am gonna take i5 8600k because you know How intel goes up with the price (when i pick amd price of i5 was the same of r5 2600x now i5 8600k Is higher for like 100 euro) so THANK YOU AMD for my Nice gaming PC i feel like i have bought 35 euro cpu ) Thank you again !! NO MORE AMD

0 Likes

It even happens with the 2600X?

Can you post your full system specs, please?

0 Likes
samulelo
Adept I

Hi, i have the same problem since last year and i have been trying to figured out what the problem is,but after many try software/hardware i changed every component:3 motherboard, 2 stick of 8 gb ram,1 cpu,1 ssd and the power supply but the stuttering still occur, i tryed every mb bios i even buy an ups!! but i think the problem is cpu related and in my case with 2 ryzen 1600 i can't run any linux build cause the system hard lock or softlockup? I even try windows 7 and every win 10 build ,

Here is an example of the stuttering: ACOrigins - YouTube

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

Cpu Ryzen 2600x

MB asus prime x470 pro

gtx 1070 ti amp extreme

ram corsair vengance rgb 2*8 dual channel cl15

psu silentiumPC vero m2 600w

adata ssd m2 256gb

plextor ssd 512gb

0 Likes

Okay,

So we can deduce some things:

1. Old and new Ryzen chips causes it
  2. B350, X370, X470 causes it
  3. Different brands of GPU for Nvidia and AMD cause it (therefore ruling out the GPU)
  4. Different brands of RAM at different speeds cause it
  5. 550W and 600W both sufficient power and still it happens
  6. M2 and standard SSD cause it - Micron and Toshiba chips, even standard HDD

The thing to take away from all of this, is that the single consistent component is the CPU architecture. I had the pleasure of testing on Linux Mint and the same issue manifested.

The Ryzen CPU is the single consistent component in these cases. 550W gives me around 120W+ head room. I am unsure of your headroom, but with the 1070 I would assume you'd have similar headroom on your machine.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Looking at my log data, I see two very strange spikes in CPU Die Temperature.

https://i.imgur.com/GhhMsfk.png

The second spike is even stranger seeing as how there's a sudden reduction in temp.

How can a CPU heat up that quickly when it's under the same load? Nothing really happened. It's moderate load, too.

It appears to me that this is one of many bugs. It might throttle the CPU due to it increasing in temperature so quickly.

In 4 seconds it goes:

What the hell?

0 Likes

And then, over 9 seconds, we get this - we drop 3.5C, then spike 8.2C(!), then drop down 4.2C. Oh good lord. In 9 seconds?

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

Yep i dont know why temp Is jumping so quickly i had this to

0 Likes

There is also a huge drop of power when this happens.

https://i.imgur.com/Pf11gYh.png

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

At the same time, we can observe some memory being allocated

https://i.imgur.com/1J1EjzD.png

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Disk operations also taking place at the same time

https://i.imgur.com/xL2uHv1.png

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Some strange GPU memory allocation

https://i.imgur.com/JhuGv1E.png

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

GPU Memory Controller drops

https://i.imgur.com/hJDc47d.png

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

GPU Voltage and Clocks down clocking mid game during all other operations

https://i.imgur.com/kduNm6E.png

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Updating this to say it's been a few weeks with no official AMD response to me after providing this information.

I have tested the grounding in my home, and they are all good.

0 Likes
szychmistrz
Adept II

its sad Man :/

Same issue. done everything aswell as you OP, still have extremely high fps and ocassional 1/8 to 1/4 a sec stutter without any varible besides the cpu, if i change the an intel CPU it actually still occurs. Looking like OS issue with windows 10.

0 Likes

Guys,

I am currently in contact with AMD.

I was asked to create a fresh install on Windows 1809, latest Nvidia

drivers and chipset drivers and that is it. Then proceed to download a game

and test it.

I had done this in the past, and experienced them. Once again, I have

experienced them again, but not quite as bad.

I did notice an increase in FPS for some reason. But the stability is more

or less the same. Still stuttering.

AMD are attempting to recreate the same setup that I have to try and

recreate the issue.

Something tells me that they won't be able to.

Can you do a windows 7 install and see if it corrects it?

Went around reddit and alot of people intel/ nv/amd/ryzen are saying its a windows problem.
Dont wanna put alot of effort into a reinstall till we find out for sure. Alot of work to go back.

Windows 10 stuttering. - Microsoft Community

OP installed windows 7, all issues gone.

0 Likes

In my case same thing in W7, W8.1 and W10 AFTER installing GPU drivers.

0 Likes

It exists in Windows 10 1709, 1803, 1809 for me. Also in Linux Mint 17, 18 and 19.

0 Likes
ronin2011
Journeyman III

I have been having the same problem you have too so i sympathize with you completely, your post should be pinned so other know that nothing is solving the issue, i have thought about getting an intel cpu with a new mother board too but the only thing stopping me is that i have seen the same issues happening to people with intel cpus too, so i am really at a loss at this moment

0 Likes

Guys try to enable pcie bifurcation on your mobo (change from x16 to x4x4x4x4) like Ive stated here https://community.amd.com/message/2885930#comment-2885930 .

Its a workaround that is currently working for me, so if you can confirm this working for you it will be a start. There is something fishy going on with ryzens and PCIE support ... Its my first AMD CPU since 1997 and man I am dissapointed ...

0 Likes

It's interesting that you say this because I had previously experiences some PCIe issues with my motherboard, which has since been resolved as far as the motherboard is concerned.

What is described in that post is hard freezing. Something that I had experienced myself on 3 different defective AB350m Pro4 motherboards. However, the way I knew it was the motherboard was by switching to PCIe Slot 3, as opposed to Slot 2. Slot 2 is Gen 3, and Slot 3 is Gen 2 (whew! That's a lot of mixing numbers around).

I have attempted running my PCIe at a lower speed, and lower generation, via bios and by changing slots. The stutters remain.

0 Likes

What the...., so why do intel users have a similar experiance, and Geforce users using mixed hardware?https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops...

Windows 10 Anniversary update CPU spikes/stutters - Microsoft Community

Stuttering in games with i7 8700k - CPUs - Tom's Hardware

We have a major issue, it is perhaps an X86 issue? Chipset design? Software?
Combination.

Someone find an AMD engineer on linkedin, we need some major support on this thats first hand heard about it before.

We need some expert level help, so they can VPN into our system and witness the issue first hand

It's possible that you are correct.

However, yes, I have a personal friend that switched from AMD GPU to Nvidia GPU, and he has an i7. I witnessed the stutters on his system, too.

That being said, Nvidia recently admitted they solved a stutter problem with recent drivers. So, it's likely that was a cause in his case. Also, because stutter can be caused by so many different things, it's hard to say exactly.

In my case, I have reinstalled several times, different operating systems, and the only consistent thing (despite being swapped 3 times) is the Ryzen 5 1600.

That's why I am convinced it is this.

0 Likes

As I say, it exists in Linux Mint for me as well as all Windows 10 versions. So, I don't think it's a Windows issue.

0 Likes
mpw
Adept II

Just wanted to share another clip (around 03:03): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqXN1HnQ4w&feature=youtu.be&t=183

0 Likes