cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

elblasy
Journeyman III

Monitor, keyboard and mouse turns off while the whole computer case is working!

Hello,

Sorry in advance for my long question.

I had my computer two years ago. My problem started directly when I start using it, it is not a new issue.

The problem is that my monitor turns to (no signal), mouse and keyboard LEDs turns off while the case LEDs, the case fans, the motherboard LEDs and the CPU fan are still working. The restart and power off buttons are dead so I had either to unplug the power cable or use the button in the PSU back to restart.

This problem always happens when I leave my computer (for few seconds or sometime few minutes) without a large task to do!

For example;

When I login to Windows and leave the desktop screen for few seconds, the problem happens.

When I pause a video (local or online) so as long as the video is playing the computer never do this problem.

The problem never happens when I play a game (Any game either it is using the GPU or not) or running a heavy software such as Blender or Photoshop; the problem never happens.

So, it only happens when the computer is not busy with something or something heavy as it sometimes happen when I am browsing the internet!

Please note that I have done the following things:

I have reinstalled Windows twice during these two years.
I have changed the SSD which has Windows installed from brand to another (from Teamgroup to Samsung).
I always update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version.
No overclocking done on any of the built pieces.
I have turned off the fast login from Windows Power Settings.
I have contacted Gigabyte and they advised to clear the CMOS; I have done that twice and When I do that the problem don't happen or maybe it is a coincidence but later in the same day the problem happens again like nothing changed.

Here you go my PC spects:

Case: Cooler Master MB520 ARGB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze
MB: GIGABYTE B450 AORUS Elite V2
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6G
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 2x8GB ADATA XPG DDR4 3200 CL 16
SSD: Samsung EVO 870 500GB
HDD: WD 2TB Blue
Keyboard: Cougar Vantar MX
Mouse: Cougar Minos XT

There are few more notes:

1, I have connected 2 monitors on this build but the second monitor is always off and I am running windows on one screen most of the time.

2, This problem don't always happen, but it happens a lot. Proportionally, it happens 4 times for every 5 times I leave the PC without a heavy task to do.

3, I have tried updating the VBIOS using all the ROMs available on the internet for my card, they all made a problem while playing all games that counts on the GPU (red/blue flashing spots) similar to these two:
https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding-java-edition/minecraft-mods/mods-discussio...
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1065044-red-flashing-dots-appear-while-playing-certain-games/
And the PC problem continued to happen also, so I came back to the original VBIOS ROM which I have backed up before the VBIOS update and the (red/blue flashing spots) problem were solved.

4, I have also tried all available RAM profiles from the motherboard BIOS including 3200 and none of these profiles solved the problem.

5, I had to run Windows in safe mode while cleaning the NVIDIA driver, when the PC restarted to open Windows in safe mode the problem happened before the Windows login screen appears so it might not be either the Windows itself of any other software running through windows.

I hope you guys can help solving my problem or help me confirming if it is the CPU that causes this problem or not.

0 Likes
1 Solution
elblasy
Journeyman III

Thank you @elstaci  and @wim-bart for your support, I have tried all your suggested solution but with no positive result.

I was so desperate and really didn't know what to do after all the solutions I tried!

While staring at the screen of the motherboard settings I found settings for the processor to work in an environmentally friendly manner; ECO (45Watts).

As one of my many miserable attempts to solve the problem, I activated this feature and went back to test whether the problem was solved or not! And guess what! During the past twelve hours, I did not find any trace of the problem completely, and I switched off and on the device several times and waited for the device to turn off in its usual form but it did not. I solved the problem, but I still can't explain how this option solves the problem, and where the problem was in the first place. The important thing is that I did some tests on some programs and games and it seems that 45 watts is doing great and I do not feel that the efficiency of the processor has decreased as a result of this option.

Thank you so much guys again for your time and support.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I see that you are using USB Keyboard and Mouse.

You motherboard in the rear has 2 types of USB ports.

Screenshot 2022-12-31 005945.png

Also try updating the AMD Chip set drivers to see if that helps with the USB issue from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

In the past there was an issue with USB working intermittently on AMD Motherboards. AMD & Manufacturer's of Motherboards came out with a BIOS version that suppose to have fixed the issue.

From Tom's Hardware Article about the above mentioned fix: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/usb-fix-400-500-series-motherboards-amd

As for your monitor losing video output on the second monitor that could be a PSU Power issue.

wim-bart
Elite

As @elstaci wrote, the issue you described is actually exact what was fixed in the BIOS updates from manufacturers. But the question is, are all updates in the Gigabyte board. I experienced a lot of these issues with a Gigabyte B550 Gaming X and it was fixed in that board after a year. 

It should not matter where your keyboard and mouse are connected to, but it does. It all depends on the board manufacturer, in your case Gigabyte. Some ports just don't deliver enough power for hungry boards with RGB (example corsair k95/k100). 

The interesting about your case is, it also happens more frequent when using a dual monitor setup, but not related to NVidia cards but with AMD RX4x0/RX5x0 cards. That makes it strange to happen here. With those cards it is related to video memory speed not matching when 2 screens are connected (still an issue).

But what can you do? 

• First step is to reset save your BIOS settings on paper so you will have them available. Do not use a saved profile, because that can mess up things
  • Reset your BIOS to default
  • Flash latest BIOS (even when it is on latest)
  • Then reenter your BIOS settings, so your good again.
  • Then after in Windows, install the latest motherboard drivers, from the AMD site, not from Gigabyte
  • Reboot your system.

Now things are good for now, but even now there can be stability issues, because you wrote you updated all already. 

For further you can consider to use some other options, like:

As both GPU and your USB are affected, check if your GPU is also in the X16 slot closest to your CPU.

elblasy
Journeyman III

Thank you @elstaci  and @wim-bart for your support, I have tried all your suggested solution but with no positive result.

I was so desperate and really didn't know what to do after all the solutions I tried!

While staring at the screen of the motherboard settings I found settings for the processor to work in an environmentally friendly manner; ECO (45Watts).

As one of my many miserable attempts to solve the problem, I activated this feature and went back to test whether the problem was solved or not! And guess what! During the past twelve hours, I did not find any trace of the problem completely, and I switched off and on the device several times and waited for the device to turn off in its usual form but it did not. I solved the problem, but I still can't explain how this option solves the problem, and where the problem was in the first place. The important thing is that I did some tests on some programs and games and it seems that 45 watts is doing great and I do not feel that the efficiency of the processor has decreased as a result of this option.

Thank you so much guys again for your time and support.

Great to hear that such a simple BIOS Setting fixed all your frustrating headaches.

I would  suggest you open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket and let them know by linking this thread about the issues you were having with the USB connection related to your Ryzen processor.

Also it might be a good idea if you marked  your last repay as "SOLUTION" therefore other Users with a similar issue can try your fix in the future.

Good troubleshooting by the way.

0 Likes