cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bsp2020
Challenger

Ryzen 9 5950x random reboot problem.

I just bought Ryzen 9 5950x to upgrade my 3900x. The system was very stable before the upgrade. But with 5950x installed, I'm now experiencing random reboots. It was randomly rebooting multiple times a day. So, I used AMD Cleanup Utility to clean up all the drivers and installed the latest chipset driver (4.03.03.431). That made it a bit more stable but I just had a couple of random reboots after 3 days of stable operation.

Should I suspect a defective chip? Is there a known problem with 5950x? I was so happy with my system before the upgrade because it was so stable...

MB : MSI b550m Mortar WiFi (BIOS 7C94v1Bm, was using 7C94v19 but upgrade to see if the latest BIOS would fix the issue)

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 

GPU : NVidia 3080 Ti

SSD :  Crucial P1 1TB 

The only hardware I changed is the CPU. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

9 Replies
bsp2020
Challenger

Windows 11 event viewer has the following error message. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 2

The details view of this entry contains further information.

0 Likes

Clear CMOS.

red5
Miniboss

Might want to install a monitoring app like HWinfo as well, and just keep an eye on temps and voltages while you're using the PC. If you have multiple monitors it will be easier.  I just wonder if the mobo isn't perhaps pushing too much voltage to the chip. Also, what is your power supply?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Check this link for some ideas:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/machine-check-exception-cache-hierarchy-error/... 

I would review that posting and then disable or remove a few items you don't need (ones they run their own software like RGB stuff and things of this nature).

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
dmitry-zhbankov
Journeyman III

0 Likes
bsp2020
Challenger

Thanks for all the suggestions. As I mentioned before, installing the latest chipset driver helped but I still had random reboot come back. The last thing I did was enabling game boost mode within BIOS. I'm not totally sure what it does, but since then, I have not had a reboot and it's been a few days already.

So, I'll keep my eye open for any more signs of instability. But it seems my system is stable now.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It might just be a sensitive motherboard / tricky BIOS issue, rather than defective hardware. Let us know if the problem returns.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Hello BSP! Just wanted to follow up to see if you resolved the issue. I currently have a similiar to setups to yours and im also dealing with the random black screen reboots.  Did you end up solving the issue and if so what did you do? I’ve been having the issue for months, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Tommyd2k
Adept I

Check you power cables.  Keep an eye on the 12v, 5v and 3.3v reading in the bios.  If any of those are low even by just a slight amount it could be why your system is rebooting.  I installed extender cables on both of my systems and it took a month for me to figure out that they were not giving good contact.  Once I removed em all the reboots went away.