cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BuckyAMD
Journeyman III

5600x temperatures in BIOS during build

I am working on a new build based on the Ryzen 5600x and I have some questions regarding the CPU temperatures I am observing.

This build will be used primarily for email, online research with many browser tabs (sometimes over 1,000) and windows open at a time, and heavy spreadsheet use.  I will not use it for gaming and I will not overclock it.

I currently have the following items installed and connected:

• CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5600x with stock AMD Wraith Stealth CPU Cooler
  • MOBO:  ASRock B550 PG Velocita, BIOS v1.2 (default settings except onboard LEDs turned off)
  • RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 16GBx2
  • GPU:  PowerColor Radeon R7 250X (1GB GDDR5; PCI-E 3.0)
  • PSU:  Seasonic Focus GX-650 80 Plus Gold
  • PSU connections:
    • 24-pin ATX power connector to MOBO
    • 8-pin 12V power connector to MOBO (the MOBO also has a 4-pin 12V power connector that I am not using)
    • 6-pin PCI-E connector to GPU
  • Case ventilation:
    • Ultra Products Wizard Mid-Tower ATX Case
    • Intake fan – be quiet! 80mm Pure Wings 2 located on the front bottom of the case between the front cover and the HDD cage
    • Exhaust fan – be quiet! 120mm Pure Wings 2 located on the rear panel centered 1” above the center of the CPU heatsink fan
    • The panels on both sides of the case have been temporarily removed for ease of access during the build.
  • Front panel connections to MOBO:
    • HD audio
    • 2 x USB 2.0 USB-A ports
    • Power button
    • Reset button
    • System Power LED
    • Hard Drive Activity LED
    • Case speaker

After installing and connecting the above items, I connected an LED monitor, a USB keyboard and a USB mouse to the computer and booted it to check my CPU temperatures in the BIOS.  The ambient temperature in the case prior to starting the computer was 18.3°C.  The first observed CPU temperature was 36.5°C at 17 seconds after booting (when the BIOS first displayed on my monitor).  CPU temperatures climbed steadily from there until appearing to stabilize at 60.0°C approximately 11 minutes after booting.  At that point, I changed the BIOS setting for the CPU fan from Standard Mode (the default setting) to Full Speed, and changed the BIOS settings for the two case fans from Silent Mode (the default setting) to Full Speed, after which CPU temperatures appeared to stabilize at 54.0°C.

My research suggests that it is “normal” for the 5600x to report CPU temperatures in the 30-60°C range when idle.  However, those temperatures were observed at the OS level in completed builds.  My 5600x is running in the 54-60°C range at the BIOS level with no drives, OS or software installed—so with minimal load on the CPU—and no side panels on the case.

So here are my questions:

1. I’m assuming that CPU temperatures measured at the OS level when my build is complete will be higher than the BIOS-level CPU temperatures I have taken before my build is complete.  Is that a sound assumption?
  2. Are CPU temperatures measured at the BIOS level reliable?  As reliable as those measured at the OS level?
  3. Are my observed CPU temperatures higher than they should be given the circumstances under which they were measured (BIOS-level, minimal load on CPU, no side panels on case, etc.)?  If so, what should I do?
    1. Remove the Wraith Stealth heatsink and reinstall it with new thermal paste?  (I would not want to do this unless my CPU temperatures are indeed higher than they should be.)
    2. Replace the entire Wraith Stealth CPU cooler with, say, a be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2?  (Again, I would not want to do this unless my CPU temperatures are indeed higher than they should be.)
    3. Something else?
  4. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for assisting me with this issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution
BuckyAMD
Journeyman III

Hi all,

I just wanted to update you on my "solution" to the questions I posted on my 5600x idle temperatures in BIOS:  I connected an SSD with Windows 10 on it to my build, launched it, installed and ran HWiNFO64, and--my idle CPU temps were in the 28-30 degree range!

After further thought, I shouldn't be surprised by this outcome. The previous CPU I had in this case was 135 watts, and its idle CPU temps were also in the 28-30 degree range, even without the 80mm intake fan I have added to this build. That's actually why I felt comfortable using this old case and fan configuration for this build. I thought the 5600x was thermally efficient enough to work well in that environment.

What I didn't know was that idle CPU temps at the BIOS level could be so much higher than at the OS level. I don't recall that being the case in my last build (nine years ago). Lesson learned.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi,
It seems you've done your research quite well but I'll cut the reply short.

The Wraith Stealth is in theory a very appropriate cooler for the 5600X but I would use other cooler for the peace of mind, which is what you probably seek.

Its not that expensive to get another, even the Wraith Prism will do a better job and they go on the used market for 15-25. Some of which were never used because people sometimes like an AIO to go along or a beefier tower cooler like the Dark Rock.

Expect a range between 40ish idle to 80ish under full load on Cinebench with the Wraith Stealth, nothing to be worried. Unless you live in a very hot place.

Have a your computer dusted clean every now and then with compressed air or a electric air duster like the Opolar.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I'm totally unfamiliar with that case.  But, since you're currently running it without side panels, I'd say the current issue is with the CPU cooler.  That provided cooler is adequate.  But, if you want better cooling, almost any tower cooler will be better.  You can check places like Gamers Nexus on YouTube for decent tower coolers in the price range you can afford.

Also, I worry about that 80mm intake fan you have.  Again, I don't know anything about that case, but I'd recommend a 120mm fan in that position if at all possible.  Your fan noise should be better, too.

EDIT:  In BIOS or at desktop, my 5600X idles somewhere around 38 degrees C (26 degree C room temperature (79 degrees F)).

Case: Fractal Design Define R6
Computer: GIGABYTE B550 VISION D-P
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (Vermeer, VMR-B0)
3700 MHz (37.00x100.0) @ 3593 MHz (36.00x99.8)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 VISION D-P
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
Case Fans: Noctua NF-A14 PWM, 3
BIOS: F15, 01/12/2023
Chipset: AMD B550 (Promontory PROM19 C)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1597 MHz, 14-14-14-34
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, 16384 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive: KINGSTON SKC3000D2048G, 2000.4 GB, NVMe
Sound: ATI/AMD Navi2x - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Family 17h/19h - HD Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8125 Gaming 2.5GbE Family Ethernet Controller
Network: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Network: Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19045.2846

0 Likes
BuckyAMD
Journeyman III

Hi all,

I just wanted to update you on my "solution" to the questions I posted on my 5600x idle temperatures in BIOS:  I connected an SSD with Windows 10 on it to my build, launched it, installed and ran HWiNFO64, and--my idle CPU temps were in the 28-30 degree range!

After further thought, I shouldn't be surprised by this outcome. The previous CPU I had in this case was 135 watts, and its idle CPU temps were also in the 28-30 degree range, even without the 80mm intake fan I have added to this build. That's actually why I felt comfortable using this old case and fan configuration for this build. I thought the 5600x was thermally efficient enough to work well in that environment.

What I didn't know was that idle CPU temps at the BIOS level could be so much higher than at the OS level. I don't recall that being the case in my last build (nine years ago). Lesson learned.

ryzen_type_r
Challenger

It's normal behavior, and I've seen this on both Intel and AMD platforms.  It has to do with the default CPU state - when you first power up, the CPU isn't in its absolute lowest power state but rather something in the middle (assuming you have not forced maximum clocks in BIOS or anything like that).

When you boot into the OS, it loads up power management drivers that then allows the CPU to go into lower power states.  The temperatures reflect this.

Bottom line - don't worry about it.

0 Likes