cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

alecto
Adept I

RT 6650 XT - sleep issue 23.2.1 (WHQL)

Latest driver Adrenalin 23.2.1 (WHQL) for RT 6650 XT has the same issue as drivers prior to Adrenalin 22.11.2 (WHQL). Once Windows enters deep sleep, the GPU doesn't wake up. Computer freezes.
Note: Adrenalin 22.11.2 (WHQL) is working, however sometimes the screens go dark (disconnected) for a few seconds. Btw, clean Windows 11 install, 3 27" LCD.

80 Replies

I had the same issue when upgrading to 23.2.1.  I had to downgrade to 22.11.2 to resolve it.

I have a 6650 XT. 

Still an issue with my 6650 and x670e mobo with windows 11.  This must be fixed.  Mine is so bad, that at some resumes, i need to do a complete OS restore.

cpkhor
Adept I

I had the same issue upgrading to 23.2.1 and the newest 23.2.2 also same.  I had to roll back to 22.11.2

This solution is not efficient. It will keep the screens on. The devs should solve this as a part of the driver update, not introduce it again as a bug to a new release.

Tbh I'm pretty disappointed with the GPU. I've had AMD GPU before with no issues. This new one brought only troubles and headaches.

My display turns off even with ULPS disabled. But yeah I won't buy AMD GPU again.

0 Likes

Thank you!  I too am having this same issue.  Had to go back to 22.11.2 to fix the problem. I tried installing 23.3.1 then disabling ULPS and that worked for me.  After trying everything I could for weeks I'm glad to have a workaround until it's addressed by AMD.  Thank you again!

I have same issue.

Driver will still crash with Event in System log: "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

But yeah whole PC won't freeze anymore.

0 Likes
Vini182
Adept II

Hello friend, I have the same issue with the driver 23.2.1 and 23.2.2.

My monitor is turned off by the windows, and when I return to use freeze and dont be power on, until I restart the PC.

My config: Ryzen 5 5600X, RX 6650XT MSI, 16GB DDR4, Gigabyte A520M Aorus Elite.

Waiting for the solution.

maxx3310
Adept I

Same here. 23.2.2.

r5 2600x, b450...

alecto
Adept I

Is it possible to report these issues to developers or is this forum just to ease your stress by complaining? Even though it's an official forum, I see no feedback from the AMD staff.

23.3.1 seems to have fixed this issue, can anyone confirm?

0 Likes

nevermind, the issue is still there

ULPS enabled or disabled still having issues with 23.3.1.

ssawgift
Adept III

I think I have this same issue. At first I thought it was some minor hardware failure, but it seems we're in same situation. I have a 6600xt card.

I think the 'freeze' is due to a critical program (AUEPMaster ) crashes on sleep/hibernation resume. See my post here.

I don't know how to express my feelings. Anger, disappointment, mocking all mixed?

I BEG you AMD, please fix it as soon as possible!

Tbh, I'm considering switching to Nvidia. Got very disappointed by the lack of support or solution with the brand new AMD card. It's basically a faulty product.

Soln
Adept II

And here we are again... Had this issue until 22.6.1 wich resovlved the problem for me. Now it reapeared with 23.3.1. and (perhaps) the new AMD chipset drivers. WTH AMD!? ATM I can't use screen sleep!

I just finished building my new computer. My new video card is at RT 6650xt. Sleep mode issues manifested itself with 23.2.1. Windows rolled me back to AMD drivers dated 10/20/22 and now I can use sleep mode without crashing. But AMD adrenalin stopped working. I removed the software and tried to reinstall it, but the results are the same. 

Disappointed! This issue appears to be more prevalent. Hopefully AMD is working on a real fix that is not simply a work around.  

alecto
Adept I

Let me ask once again, why there's no reply from AMD staff. Has this issue been reported to the devs?

This is a serious issue that is not being fixed. Even with the "stable" drivers, my LCDs blink a few times a day. Such attitude and ignorance are annoying.

Soln
Adept II

I made bug reports through driver several times last year and this year again two times. Let's hope they manage to get this done ASAP. HELLO AMD??!!

Soln
Adept II

Issue seemed to be solved for me with new driver version 23.4.1. with a 6600XT at first. But after the display sleeping longer than 10 seconds again: everlasting black... (lost actually work BTW, thank you AMD!)

hxf
Adept I

I also updated to 23.4.1. and like you it seems to have solved the problem for now. When updating I only installed the new drivers through  Windows 10 Device Manager.  No adrenalin  for me! I will post any issues encountered. 

It has been more than a month and the sleep mode is working fine. My system has no issues waking up. In my case Adrenalin seems to have caused the original problem. 

My operating system is Win 10 Pro 64 bit, 22H2

Display Drivers:  31.0.14043.7000

I just tried updating to Adrenalin 23.7.1. To my dismay, the software striped my Realtek drivers and disabled my sound system.  I can't imagine what these software engineers are thinking much less AMD management. How can they allow it to happen? It took me one hour to get my system restored and undo the damage caused by this update.  Wow, how I miss my Nvidia graphics card.  

0 Likes
Soln
Adept II

And same with 23.4.2. HELLO AMD??!! I want my screen saving energy (a very very basic thing I think)!!!

tobiwae
Adept III

@amd: Could you please give as any feedback on this? Are developers looking into this? Is there maybe a workaround until this gets fixed? Thank you!

anilkose
Adept I

Is there a problem with version 23.4.3? Anyone checking?

Soln
Adept II

And same with 23.4.3. HELLO AMD??!! I still want my screen saving energy (a very very basic thing I think)!!!

BTW: Sapphire 6600XT, EIZO CS2420

anilkose
Adept I

Since I don't have time to wait for amd to solve this problem, bye amd, welcome 3070. I hope the problem will be discovered and solved soon. I will still follow the thread.

Trushna
Adept II

Same here. Hello AMD!

0 Likes
jasanchez_fl
Journeyman III

I just upgraded to a 6650 XT and am having this exact problem. Please fix it AMD!

I have this issue with a 6600xt, when windows sends my monitor into power saving there's a good chance AMD drivers/the card itself crashes. It sounds like they fixed this at one point last year but brought it back again.

Exactly my experience.

0 Likes
Geno71
Adept III

So this has been going on for months? I'm still waiting on my new 7900 XT, which was supposed to be delivered today, but now says delayed till tomorrow. It's one thing if it's something recent, that we can hope to see addressed quickly, but sounds like people have been having these issues for several weeks if not months, and if that's the case, idk how comfortable I'd be with that. I have some time to test the new card, so I'll give it a shot, but Nvidia is there in case I need it I guess. I already tried a 6950 XT and I was impressed with its performance for the price, but in the first two weeks of ownership, I've encountered 2 driver related issues.

I don't recommend AMD GPUs anymore. Want to get rid of mine. AMD doesn't seem to care about the development of GPU drivers, why should I care then? Nvidia GPU is the superior choice.

dude, I passed 3070. Zero problems, the GPU NVIDIA is excellent. 

So, not saying I'm going to return it, yet, but the time is running out, and since I'm still within my return window (for the 7900 XT), I decided to stop guessing and do a proper comparison with the closest RTX alternative. I ordered the RTX 4070 Ti OC. It comes in tomorrow. Now, that I know what I like and what I dislike about this 7900 XT, I will go ahead and try using the 4070 Ti for a few days, to make sure it's the card that's causing sleep issues, and not something else. I realize that 4070 Ti's performance is a bit below the 7900 XT, and of course it's only 12 GB of VRAM vs 20, but the sleep thing, while not really deal breaking by itself, is not the only issue I've experienced so far, and I have to admit, I don't recall ever having to go to Nvidia's forums to try to resolve a driver issue. Not that I don't like it here, but just saying. I might decide that a bit less performance might be an ok trade-off for a stable overall operation. 

I wish someone from AMD would have commented to let us know if it's something they're aware of, and working on. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much trust I have in it being addressed by them. In the meantime, I'll continue to test the 7900 XT to see if I can find any new clues.

I've used a 3070, 1070, and 770 before it. 

IDK guys, the last thing I want to do is talk smack about a product on its own forum, and I'm not quite there yet, but after about a day, I'm having a much smoother (literally and figuratively) experience with a 4070Ti. I still have some time to play with it, but so far, I haven't had any issues with sleep/wake, my computer boots up much quicker, it's quieter, cooler and more power efficient, and, shockingly (because of all the benchmarks over the last few months), I actually get better FPS and smoother gaming experience with it, at least in the games I play at the moment, which do use RT (The Last of Us Part 1, Cyberpunk 2077), and that's what I assume is giving them the advantage. I don't think I'll be putting this 7900 XT back into my system unless I encounter any kind of deal breaking issue with the RTX 4070Ti in the next couple of days.

It's not all perfect, to be clear. There are a couple of things I'm not a big fan off, for example, for some reason I don't have an AV1 export option in Davinci Resolve, which I was excited about, and it did work with the 7900 XT. 12 GB of VRAM doesn't leave a lot of headroom for the future as many games already use up that much VRAM with ease. And I just liked the look and build quality of the XFX Merc card better than the Asus Tuf I got here.

I think it's important to keep in mind, my experience does not mean an Nvidia will work the same way for everyone. It depends on many factors. It might be that my overall system is just friendlier to RTX, vs RX. I also want to add that I have an older version of BIOS, that I really don't want to try updating because I had so many issues after I did in September of last year, I had to RMA my motherboard, so as long as it works, I don't want to mess with it. It's possible that if I did update the firmware, the 7900 XT would work much better for me, but I'm not willing to test that theory.