cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

zzwave
Adept I

Ryzen 5600G + QVL memory = random hangs with black screen or reboots

Ryzen 5600G, ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, PATRIOT PVB432G320C6K kit straight from ASUS recommended memory list. Latest BIOS, latest drivers with DDU, yadda yadda yadda...

Turn on D.O.C.P. (XMP), set memory frequency to its stock 3200 MHz - Win11 halts with black screen sometimes after mere 1-2 minutes after startup, and so does any Linux distro. Memtest86 reports no errors after all-night run. Full auto settings and set 3200 MHz manually works pretty stable in Windows(finally!), Prime95+Furmark for hours work flawlessly, but all this with ridiculously large memory timings, almost twice of XMP ones. Linux still halts after even 1 minute in Xorg.

I've tried different B450/B550 mobos, memory kits, xmp/manual/auto memory settings, etc - a problem persists, except this large timings mode and only in Windows.

Two questions. How to fix these hangs with black screen (without switching to Intel and Nvidia ofc :))? How to achieve "declared" memory freq/timings on Ryzen? I never ever have such problems on Intel or older AMD systems since late 1990s.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Reflashed latest 2806 BIOS, set memory timings to manual and values from XMP - Win11 is fully stable now with latest Adrenalin. WOW!!!

Linux still crashes, it's a problems with amdgpu driver I think, not with hardware itself.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies

Try disabling DOCP in BIOS and reset all Memory back to default and just use BIOS to manually overclock the RAM to its native speed without using DOCP.

See if that makes a difference. Otherwise I suggest you open a Patriot Support ticket and see what they think the issue could be with the RAM or Motherboard.

What type of errors are you getting when the PC freezes or crashes?

Do have the latest Motherboard BIOS, Windows, Chip sets versions installed?

If you uninstall the AMD driver does the issue get better or stays the same?  This will indicate if the problems you are having is due to the AMD VGA driver.

Here is the latest AMD VGA Driver for the 5600G: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-5000-g-series-desktop-processors...

EDIT: Downloaded from Patriot Memory Website the PDF For your RAM Memory Part Number. Are these the settings you have showing for 3200Mhz?

Screenshot 2023-01-17 124350.png

0 Likes

System suddenly stops, no reaction on keyboard, sound stops, black screen that maybe blinks one time. Sometimes it's not black but red/green/blue with noise like on old TV. Linux crashes like this, the difference with Win is that it hangs much faster, and it hangs like that any time you boot it - Win11 may work hours under any load before a crash... After crash coolers still are running, RGB light are on. System comes back to life after Reset button.

After crash, there is NO any errors in Windows Events Viewer. It's so weird, I know. Or maybe I should look somewhere else?

I use all latest software. Windows updates up to this day, recommended Adrenalin for Win11/5600G from amd.com, latest chipset drivers from ASUS site, latest BIOS.

Entirely removing Adrenalin with DDU and Safe Mode makes Win fully stable, but it also makes computer almost useless

DOCP brings exactly these memory parameters like on your screenshot, but it makes system unstable as hell. Auto mode shows things like CL40 and so on.

I have some frustration as i have multiple different memory kits, mobos, 5600G and 3400G CPUs and I never can achieve declared memory parameters with stable system. Or is it just a way like Ryzens should work with memory? Even QVL requires manual overclocking/overvoltage just to achieve stock parameters?

0 Likes

I would contact both Patriot and Asus Support.

Let Patriot Support know that with DOCP enabled your PC is  not stabled unless configured with a very high RAM settings for Windows and that Linux keeps crashing not matter what RAM settings you have configured.

Also you might want to open a AMD SUPPORT - WARRANTY ticket just to rule out your APU processor as the cause from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

When I upgraded to Ryzen using a Asus Motherboard with G-Skill RAM at first I just overclocked to stock native speed of 3600Mhz from SPD speed. Then I found out the setting to enable DOCP. As soon as I did that the computer would reboot and RAM reset to SPD speed. So disabled DOCP and just manually overclocked the RAM with the drop down menu in BIOS settings for Speed.

Your problem might be the AMD Driver itself. Maybe if you installed a previous AMD VGA Driver to see if you have less crashes or blackouts than before from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-5000-g-series-d...

0 Likes

Request to AMD - check.

At this weekend I'll try to reinstall OS from scratch and test it with drivers you mentioned.

0 Likes

Reflashed latest 2806 BIOS, set memory timings to manual and values from XMP - Win11 is fully stable now with latest Adrenalin. WOW!!!

Linux still crashes, it's a problems with amdgpu driver I think, not with hardware itself.

0 Likes
zzwave
Adept I

System suddenly halts (no reaction on keyboard, sound stops) and screen becomes black, maybe blinking one time. Sometimes it's not black screen but green/blue/red background and noise like old TV. Coolers are running, RGB light on mobo are active. Reset button brings computer back to life. Linux acts same way, only difference is it halts much faster.

There is absolutely NO any errors in Windows Events Viewer after such crashes, or maybe I should look for these errors in other place? Where?

I've installed all latest updates for OS, latest AMD Adrenalin drivers from amd.com for my OS/hardware, latest drivers from ASUS download section for chipset, latest ASUS BIOS.

Entirely removing Adrenalin drivers with DDU and Safe Mode makes Windows 11 fully stable, but computer becomes almost useless for me that way

With DOCP I get exactly these freq/timings/voltage as declared by Patriot, but system becomes unstable as hell. Auto mode gives me 3200 MHz, but timings become almost 2X compared to XMP, like CL40 and so on.

I have some kind of frustration, as I have multiple different memory kits (patriot 3200 2x16, corsair 2x8 2666, corsair 4x16 3200), different mobos (all B450 and B550), 3400G and 5600G CPUs and I never can achieve declared memory parameters with stable work on any combinations of this hardware. Or it's the way like Ryzens should work? Does every memory kit (even QVL) requires manual overclocking/overvoltaging to just achieve its stock parameters?

0 Likes