cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

JosephFelice
Adept I

My expensive hardware Amd CPU and Motherboard just got fried and i don't know why.

My case smells like smoke and yes I unplugged it. Do you think my evga 600 watt powersupply just ruined my pc or could it have been something else? I've had this powersupply since August or so of last year. What the heck is going on. I'm panicking because I don't know who would cover all the parts destroyed in my pc. My motherboard, 16 gigs of ddr4 3200mhz ram, graphics card, cpu, and I'm losing it. My dad tried to calm me down but I'm so pissed right now. This is easily $700-900 dollars worth of parts.

0 Likes
7 Replies
JosephFelice
Adept I

SPECS:

Amd Ryzen 7 3700x

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

MSI RX 480 4GB 

16gigs of ddr4 ram 3200mhz

EVGA 600 watt powersupply

2tb hard-drive

blu-ray/dvd-drive

I have no idea what's completely fried and what's not. All I know is my case smells like smoke. I'm so pissed off right now. 2020 and 2021 have been the worst years of my life and now this happens. 

0 Likes

I would suggest you find a local (reputable) pc parts/repair store and let them check it out.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

This is strange because I understand pc's very well. I'm assuming it might have been the power supply or motherboard that shorted out. Either way these parts are ruined and I don't know who's at fault if it's AMD or EVGA for a faulty product. And I don't know how I'd be reimbursed. I'm so frustrated and angry. My i5 4670k an intel product still works but that's using a Kingwin 700 watt power supply and right now I don't have any graphics card hooked up to it because I'm running it on an old monitor that doesn't get along with hdmi. Is this normal for something like this to happen? I seen it happen online in videos to other people but didn't think my pc would just burst into flames. It was kind of scary. My pc isn't really messy either and I can even take a screenshot of the inside of the case. 

Hello, Joseph,

The exact same thing happened to me twice years ago, both were pre-built systems I bought. And, yes it was the PSU.

The best advice I could give you is to claim it back off you house insurance and state it was a power surge off the local grid, this does happen often, no mater were you are on the planet. Buy a surge protector multi-connection point for you system.

Also the recommended 'PSU' for you system is just recommended add 30-50% to that, and always buy quality, rather than looking for a bargain with regards to the 'PSU'.

Other than that it's just bad luck, it happens. It happened to me twice, as I have said, and I never buy pre-built systems now, for this exact reason, apart from laptops. 

Good Luck!

I'm stupid just the cheapo rx 480 4gb i bought for like 90 bucks back in August crapped out on me. Oh well, I'll take that loss. I mean there's no warranty on used cards. I gambled and lost. 

0 Likes

Reach out to EVGA and just ask them what they suggest you do. Just be upfront and get their guidance. 

0 Likes