Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

noodles59
Miniboss

Blue USB3 port trouble..

Jump to solution

Why is it when copying large data (100GB+) to an blue port (usb3) drive results in awful 'stop n go' traffic hence looong copy times. Plug this drive to an red usb3 port all is fine - no stop n go!

Btw, I am on a Ryzen system..

Anyone an idea what's going on?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
noodles59
Miniboss

Re: Blue USB3 port trouble..

Jump to solution

I just see 2 days ago Gigabyte released a new chipset driver (mb_driver_amd_chipset_17.40.3602) for my mobo Aorus Gaming

..installed that one and the problem seems gone

Clipboard01.jpg

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Jump to solution

Possible defective USB port or faulty drivers. Red USB ports are often provided by a third party controller, usually AsMedia.

noodles59
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Yep, B_Z, exactly my sentiments..

Happens to all blue ports hence more likely an AMD driver issue (x470 board) since the red port is Asmedia, yes!

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

Jump to solution

USB 3.x as a "Standard" is frankly a f**king mess.

What the Colours of the Ports indicate is essentially at the whim of the Manufacturer.

Blue = USB 3.0 / 3.1

Red = USB 3.1 / 3.2

USB 3.0 is Mono-Channel - 8b/10b Encoding

USB 3.1 is Mono-Channel - 128b/130b Encoding

USB 3.2 is Multi-Channel - 128b/130b Encoding

Remember that it is a Serial Bus to the (PCI-E) Root Hub., so you'll loose performance Communication Cycles and Bandwidth based upon not only how Loaded the PCI-E Bus is but also the USB Root Hubs and Shared Local Root.

Ideally speaking you want to keep Storage Devices on a USB 3.1 / 3.2 Port., and ensure NOTHING is in the Secondary Port it's paired with. I mean you can perform tests yourself and you'll see this in practical terms.

noodles59
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Ideally speaking you want to keep Storage Devices on a USB 3.1 / 3.2 Port., and ensure NOTHING is in the Secondary Port it's paired with.

Yep, sounds simple but NoT - it seems I only have 2 (paired) Asmedia ports all the other lot are blue ports hence AMD chipset and therefore flawed. I would wish AMD could fix the driver or is it hopeless?!

The USB 2 ports are not affected.

how Loaded the PCI-E Bus is but also the USB Root Hubs and Shared Local Root.

nothing going on there - just the data backup

0 Likes
kingfish
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Jump to solution

I recently had a similar experience when transferring large files to a USB thumb drive. Drove me nuts. The first file would transfer really quick, but subsequent files were insanely slow. As it turned out, the culprit was a 2TB 5400RPM hard drive (that the client had never defragmented). Replacing it with a SSD eliminated the issue.

File transfer speed consistently slows down | Tom's Hardware Forum 

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

Jump to solution

You are certainly right that this is a data sync issue causing buffer overflows especially between fast <-> slower devices but only on the blue ports? - why now? this is called modern technology data limpnology or more likely just a bad usb driver issue?!

.... btw, one 4TB usb3 SSD is nearly a grand here - no option! I think HDDs will continue to exist for a long time.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Because the red port is on a dedicated controller

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Hmm, and for the blue AMD ports .. they can go limpin' ? no money to put it on its own controller? Wa?

I do have 3 usb3 HDDs and only that one connected to the red port transfers bulk data flawlessly... the rest suffers permanent "highway congestion" hence stop n go!

This is a very unsatisfactorily implementation (blue ports)

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I have a 4TB USB HDD (Seagate Backup Plus 4TB) that I use to create monthly disk images of my 512GB C (OS), 1TB D (Games), and 2TB H (Media) drives. It does not suffer from "stop start" data transfer, and I use the blue USB ports which use the AMD controllers.

0 Likes