Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Nickamus
Adept II

Black Screen Followed by Restart

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the long post and incorrect format (if there is one to follow) for a first post! I would have sent AMD a support ticket, but I get this error: Link to Error. I'll try again another day.

My full system can be found below or here: My Current System

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-K
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
  • Storage 1: Crucial 525GB MX300 SATA M.2 SSD
  • Storage 2: Western Digital Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD
  • GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Case: Corsair Crystal 280X RGB
  • PSU: Corsair RM750x 
  • Monitor: Asus TUF GAMING VG249Q

In short, my issue is a black screen, all input becomes non-responsive, sound still continues as normal, then finally, ends with a forced restart with no warnings or BSOD. When it boots back up, no minidumps were created, WhoCrashed shows nothing, and only events on Event Viewer were recorded (). Please note that this is only occurring, currently, only on Cyberpunk 2077. Currently, after a third or fourth full system wipe, formatted the SSD and re-installing Windows 10, I only get crash to desktops. Then the process usually happens again after a restart or something.

I have this issue since December 2020 and have no luck in fixing it. Anyone got a fix for this?

My current conclusions are:

1. AMD Ryzen 7 3800X and PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 5700 XT are incompatible for Cyberpunk 2077
    • No issues when the pair was a 3800X and a nVidia 1660S
    • No issues when the pair was an Intel CPU 10th Generation i5 and a 5700 XT
  2. Cyberpunk 2077 is the culprit and I'm losing the plot over my system for no reason

Based on videos and forums, the following temperatures seem to be normal for my chosen parts:

• CPU temperatures: Minimum (idle): 45°C, Maximum: 75°C
  • GPU temperatures: Minimum (idle): 45°C, Maximum: 80°C and 100°C (junction)
  • RAM temperatures: Minimum (idle): 30°C, Maximum: 55°C

Tests I've done

• Test 1: Turned off fast boot
  • Test 2:
    • RAM back at base 2133MHz and CPU controlled by ASUS ["Normal" and not "Optimised"]
    • For the GPU, on the “Radeon Software”, I left it at “Automatic”
  • Test 3: Same as Test 2 but for the GPU, I left it at “Undervolt”
  • Test 4: Same as Test 2 but for the GPU, I left it at “Overclock”
  • Test 5: Resat GPU and RAM, making sure all cables are plugged in and not loose, reseating and applying new thermal for the CPU
  • Test 6: Tried the original PSU cables (I bought premium Corsair cables to rule them out)
  • Test 7: Tried onboard GPU
  • Test 8: Unplugged all unnecessary devices (only the keyboard & mouse connected)
  • Test 9: Tried each RAM individually and different sockets individually
  • Test 10: Reinstalled drivers and using "Recommended" and not "Optional"
  • Test 11: Removed my Lego stand to stop the GPU drooping down
  • Test 12: Used two dedicated 6+2 PCIe cables instead of one splitting into two 6+2 cable ends
  • Test 13: Tried setting RAM at 3200MHz @ 16-18-18-36 1.2V
  • Test 14: Tried MemTest86
  • Test 15: Tried other games and see if the issue persists (when RAM is back at 3200MHz @ 16-18-18-36 1.35V)
  • Test 16: Ran OCCT overnight
  • Test 17: Removed an adapter for the GPU
  • Test 18: Swapped GPU with my mate (he gave me his GeForce GTX 1660 Ventus XS 6G OC) to see if I get the same issue.
  • Test 19: Added my GPU back to my system after I did a DDU with the nVidia card and a reinstall of Windows (again). Had to use diskpart because my third reinstall of Windows some how locked it from being reinstalled.
  • Test 20: Recently, I've seen Cinebench being mentioned. Going to test both stress and stability test for both multicore and single core
  • Test 21: Tried Ubuntu to rule out Windows doing something in the background
  • Test 22: Tried a new motherboard
  • Test 23: Tried a new PSU
  • Test 24: Tried Prime95
  • Test 25: Changed power options to "Ryzen Balanced"

Any other tests I should do? Can RAM be the culprit even if MemTest86 has no issues?

Results

• Tests 1 to 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 17, 25: Still crashes
  • Test 7: Doesn't even output a signal - maybe it is a sign of a faulty motherboard?
  • Test 10: Works fine, then after the next shutdown, still crashes
  • Test 13: Can't even get out of boot
  • Test 15: Other games don't cause the same issue
  • Test 16: No errors running it but issue occurs when playing CP2077
  • Test 18: No crashes for 3 days straight with 12 (day 1), 6 (day 2), and 4 (day 3) hours in each day with CP2077. Everything seems to work fine with a different card. My mate had zero issues with my card when he tested on their system (Intel CPU 10th Generation i5)
  • Test 19: Crashes came back after one day. No issues with other games
  • Test 20: No issues running it
  • Test 21: Couldn't run the high intensive games I wanted so uninstalled it (badly uninstalled so had to use diskpart to clean it out)
  • Test 22: Tried MSI MAG B550M MORTAR and still crashes
  • Test 23: Tried Corsair RM750x and still crashes (originally a 650W of the same series)
  • Test 24: Running Blend and Large FFTs were fine. But small and smallest FFTs kills my system (shutdown and not a restart) a second later - unless I tick the "Disable AVX2" box
0 Likes
1 Solution

@hmanndk 

After several months of different tests, in the end (solved a few days ago) the issue was from the following components:

• CPU and motherboard - retailer sent me new one earlier this year. When the issue still occurred last month, I sent it back, but this time no issues.
  • GPU - last month I sent this back as well to the retailer and really hoped it was not faulty. Retailer tested it and turned out to be faulty. I've upgraded to the 6700XT.

Not sure if the RAM was ever faulty (since MemTest86 didn't report one error), but Amazon was happy to send a replacement 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
39 Replies
gavintek
Adept I

Hello, my system was having the same symptoms as yours with RX 5600 XT, except mine shows green screen instead of black screen. But i think that's because i am using HDMI cable, and happened in other games (Specifically red dead redemption 2, total war games and kingdom come deliverance).

I've been troubleshooting this since,.. forever?, and i saw a lot of RX 5600 and 5700 owners having similar issues with varying degrees of error circling around black/green screens. You have done a considerable amount of testing it seems, so you probably know this too.. Its a silicone lottery on a whole new level.

I wish i have the solution for you, but i am also at my wits' end on this one. Currently, i am doing similar thing like your test no. 18. My gtx 1660 super came yesterday and i am using it to see whether the problem persist. Yesterday, i played total war for hours with zero problem, but i will test it more (1 to 2 weeks) to really make sure that this is a GPU problem. If i have zero crashes after 1/2 weeks, i would RMA or sell my RX 5600 XT (should be easy to sell GPU these days as supplies are low and demands are high).

Things that might help you troubleshooting this:

- Can you check your event viewer, filter the events on you system with "18, 41". Every time you crash, do you see both event ID 18 and 41 in your event viewer?

- You can change your whocrashed settings to include WHEA error. These might capture the crash dump retrospectively.

0 Likes

how did you clean the old Nvidia driver?

ps best would be a fresh Win10 20H2 install (as Nvidia does some stupid stuff to Windows)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

@gavintek wrote:

Hello, my system was having the same symptoms as yours with RX 5600 XT, except mine shows green screen instead of black screen. But i think that's because i am using HDMI cable, and happened in other games (Specifically red dead redemption 2, total war games and kingdom come deliverance).

I've been troubleshooting this since,.. forever?, and i saw a lot of RX 5600 and 5700 owners having similar issues with varying degrees of error circling around black/green screens. You have done a considerable amount of testing it seems, so you probably know this too.. Its a silicone lottery on a whole new level.

I wish i have the solution for you, but i am also at my wits' end on this one. Currently, i am doing similar thing like your test no. 18. My gtx 1660 super came yesterday and i am using it to see whether the problem persist. Yesterday, i played total war for hours with zero problem, but i will test it more (1 to 2 weeks) to really make sure that this is a GPU problem. If i have zero crashes after 1/2 weeks, i would RMA or sell my RX 5600 XT (should be easy to sell GPU these days as supplies are low and demands are high).

Things that might help you troubleshooting this:

- Can you check your event viewer, filter the events on you system with "18, 41". Every time you crash, do you see both event ID 18 and 41 in your event viewer?

- You can change your whocrashed settings to include WHEA error. These might capture the crash dump retrospectively.

I eventually got "WhoCrashed" to point and find the WHEA errors.

When my computer black screens then restarts I get the following for the Event Viewer:

• Under Event Type, the "Error" event is always the "Event 18, WHEA-logger"
    • Note: The "Processor APIC ID" for the WHEA-logger error changes every time it occurs
  • Under Event Type, the "Critical" event in Event Viewer, it's always the "Event 41, Kernel Power" message.

I got reply back from ASUS about my motherboard (I've already ruled out the motherboard, but wanted their opinion):

From the tests you've done one of the things that catches my eye is that Prime 95 forced your system to shut down, this definitely isn't normal and makes me think there's something not quite right.

You also mention that you've also used an MSI B550 motherboard, this would mean that the GPU would have been connected to the CPU via a PCIe 4.0 bus yet you still had the same issue.

The RX 5700 cards in particular suffered a poor reputation for crashes for certain users I don't believe that AMD were able to iron it out completely with driver updates, as you can see from the reply to your post others are still facing issues with first gen RDNA.

The only thing I could think of, other than this being yet another bug in Cyberpunk 2077, is that the CPU is is causing this crash, that would also explain the behaviour in Prime95, but I don't believe it's the motherboard.

I was going to try and go through Amazon for a replacement of my RAM, but if RAM was the issue, wouldn't it have at least one error in MemTest86 no matter which combination I tried?

I really believe the issue is to do with communication error or connection issues or something related to that. I based that off of how I fixed this issue back in September 2020 - removing one layer off my Lego GPU drooping/sagging stand - which led me to change the motherboard just in case the PCIe slot was a bust. But it is hard to say which the issue is since, like my test I've tried a AMD Ryzen 7 3800X + 1660S and an Intel 10th Gen i5 + 5700 XT both had no issues for 3 days. However, that could be a red herring and need at least months to test.

@benman2785 wrote:

how did you clean the old Nvidia driver?

ps best would be a fresh Win10 20H2 install (as Nvidia does some stupid stuff to Windows)

Well the first time was using DDU on Safe Mode. But it's been a week and a bit with 2 fresh window installs since then.

I am currently on the 20H2 with my 5700 XT since I had to give back my mate his 1660S.

0 Likes

hmm, when your system shuts down on prime 95, do you get the same event ID like when you crashed while gaming (18 and 41)? and do you happen to test this when you had your 1660 installed? I just tested this just now on my ryzen 5 5600x and it did not shut my system down like yours. If you have your PBO turned on, maybe disable it and run it again / update your mobo bios and AMD chipset.

Its been 3 days since i am using gtx 1660 super, and so far zero crashes. But like you said, maybe a red herring. I also factored in the fact that i did not game that much this week due to work commitments.

Like yours, my WHEA shows different processor core each time it crashes. I used Windbg Preview (windows debugger) on my WHEA 18 error and found this:

MODULE_NAME: AuthenticAMD

IMAGE_NAME:  AuthenticAMD.sys

STACK_COMMAND:  .thread ; .cxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  LKD_0x124_0_AuthenticAMD_BANK0_MSCOD0000_MCACOD0108_PCC_UC_IMAGE_AuthenticAMD.sys

OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64

OSNAME:  Windows 10

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {509acb9c-038f-dfdb-adc2-7917670271d1}

Followup:     MachineOwner

Heard somewhere that this issue only persist when playing games that are optimized for nvidia/intel (such as cyberpunk). Instruction set sent to CPU make the CPU access bad memory on GPU, causing cache hierarchy error, or something like that.

0 Likes

I also have crashes but i have a 5900x cpu and a 6900xt card. with other words the newest of the newest hardware.
For me it helped allot that i unplug my vr headset even though i play a non vr game then this effected my games and made them crash..

Well at least for a while. Now i experience crashes now and then with black screen and the computer totaly shut off.
Its is not a heating problem i tested this many times, and i can also run all kind of benchmarking and stress test software that test both cpu and gpu and the tests are rock steady.
I also tested my Ram via the "dos" ram test that take ages to complete and there is 0 issues.

I think at this point that it must be a driver problem and in my case i think its the graphics cards driver that make the games crash.
But i also think a little bit if it could be the last two bios updates that optimize the ryzen 5000 series cpu so they perform better.

All of my crashes started when i switch from the 2080rtx nvidia to the new 6900xt so my bet is the driver have a bug.
I imagine that the 5700 gpu that you talk about might share some of the same programming so it could be a bug that effect all amd graphics cards.

0 Likes

@delevero 

how did you clean old Nvidia driver from system?

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

I found this news today that maybe is the reason why our computers crash or shut down.
There is a bios update on the way to all AMD motherboards
https://www.techpowerup.com/276833/amd-announces-agesa-1-1-9-0-firmware-updates-improve-fclk-oc-stab...

0 Likes

@gavintek wrote:

hmm, when your system shuts down on prime 95, do you get the same event ID like when you crashed while gaming (18 and 41)? and do you happen to test this when you had your 1660 installed? I just tested this just now on my ryzen 5 5600x and it did not shut my system down like yours. If you have your PBO turned on, maybe disable it and run it again / update your mobo bios and AMD chipset.

Its been 3 days since i am using gtx 1660 super, and so far zero crashes. But like you said, maybe a red herring. I also factored in the fact that i did not game that much this week due to work commitments.

Like yours, my WHEA shows different processor core each time it crashes. I used Windbg Preview (windows debugger) on my WHEA 18 error and found this:

MODULE_NAME: AuthenticAMD

IMAGE_NAME:  AuthenticAMD.sys

STACK_COMMAND:  .thread ; .cxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  LKD_0x124_0_AuthenticAMD_BANK0_MSCOD0000_MCACOD0108_PCC_UC_IMAGE_AuthenticAMD.sys

OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64

OSNAME:  Windows 10

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {509acb9c-038f-dfdb-adc2-7917670271d1}

Followup:     MachineOwner

Heard somewhere that this issue only persist when playing games that are optimized for nvidia/intel (such as cyberpunk). Instruction set sent to CPU make the CPU access bad memory on GPU, causing cache hierarchy error, or something like that.

Sadly, I do not have the 1660S to test anymore. The only test I did with it at the time was let CP2077 run 3 days in a row with no issues (and my mate did the same with his setup - maybe less hours than me).

Currently using the latest BIOS (it's a beta according to Asus) and crashed on the second day. I haven't actually tried downgrading the BIOS to see maybe the newer updates are the cause of the issues. Only problem is I can't remember what the BIOS version was installed back in August 2020 and I have to be careful to not do downgrade too far and lose the compatibility of my CPU haha.

I think I tried turning off the CPU boost thing in the BIOS but can't actually remember.

0 Likes

Tested some games today and yesterday. 

Few hours on Path of Exile had zero issues today and yesterday, only disconnects and crashes to desktop - might downgrade to the recommended driver rather than the optional recent one.

Yesterday, played Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition no FPS lag. Today, started the game up and 2 minutes later, black screen, sound kept going and the restart. Once restarted, the game didn't crash, but the game performance was bad (at the lowest graphic settings I was getting between 1 to 50 FPS).

0 Likes

Yes I have a possible fix for your issue, since I too have had black screen crashes to desktop after windows updates, but I have always been able to fix them in the same way.

What you need to do is downloading the latest graphics drivers, and then when asking to install, press the option to do a factory reset (this is important) and then, also click delete saved precepts (this is also important). Then let it install, and restart your computer when prompted.

Now, your system should be good to go with no more black screens, but if they still do occur, renew the same installation process again until it works. I have had to install the graphics drivers in this way for up to three times before my black screen issue finally was resolved and removed.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes

@RomatebitegeL wrote:

Yes I have a possible fix for your issue, since I too have had black screen crashes to desktop after windows updates, but I have always been able to fix them in the same way.

What you need to do is downloading the latest graphics drivers, and then when asking to install, press the option to do a factory reset (this is important) and then, also click delete saved precepts (this is also important). Then let it install, and restart your computer when prompted.

Now, your system should be good to go with no more black screens, but if they still do occur, renew the same installation process again until it works. I have had to install the graphics drivers in this way for up to three times before my black screen issue finally was resolved and removed.

I hope this helps.

Sadly, this at best fixes my issue for one day or less. I have done 5 Windows clean installs (formatting my SSD to fully get rid of anything on it) and along with those clean installs, I used the recommended Radeon driver since November 2020 "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2 Recommended (WHQL)" - still causes issues.

Outside the Windows 10 clean installs, around 3 DDU's for different versions of Radeon to see if I the issue persists on all of them - which is all of them (only tried  20.11.2, 20.9.1, and 20.4.2)

0 Likes

Hi, you mentioned Windows clean install in your post, but I spoke of Adrenaline graphics driver clean install. It is important to make a factory reset clean install of your graphics driver with saved precepts deleted. These options is found at the beginning of the AMD Adrenaline Graphics Driver installation screen.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes

@RomatebitegeL wrote:

Hi, you mentioned Windows clean install in your post, but I spoke of Adrenaline graphics driver clean install. It is important to make a factory reset clean install of your graphics driver with saved precepts deleted. These options is found at the beginning of the AMD Adrenaline Graphics Driver installation screen.

I hope this helps.

Sorry. I forgot to say that in the GPU driver installation iteration (of all the versions I tried), I always use factory reset and don't save user settings. Like when I owned a nVidia GPU, I always do a clean install - just muscle memory for me to do it.

The reason I mentioned the Windows clean install because my SSD would be formatted and no AMD files will reside on the drive even if DDU missed it. Unless you meant a small bit of code is saved on the GPU's ROM (if that exists) each time I reinstall the GPU drivers that's why you choose factory reset and forget user settings.

0 Likes

I have a 3800X I am borrowing at the moment from a friend and have some promising results so far. 

Prime95 ran 2 hours with the the small FFTs with no issues, idling at 71 degrees maximum. Comparing to my one, where it immediately shuts down the computer after 2 seconds into the test - probably not healthy but I started it, had dinner, watched TV before heading back upstairs to check on it :smileylol:.

Does that mean my CPU is faulty or is this another red herring test that I should continue using for a month before making a conclusion?

Might turn on XMP for the RAM to make it 3200MHz and see if the issue persists. Slowly inching back to where I was back in August 2020 - XMP Profile #1 and Radeon Advisor set to Gaming. Should I leave the CPU performance boost disabled to use my RAM at 3200MHz or should I leave it to ASUS's profile do all the work for me (I believe they set the CPU to max out 4.2GHz for the CPU)? 

0 Likes

WTF... so this is interesting.  I'm also running a 3800X, Asus Motherboard (X570 Tuf Plus), and started getting crashes when I upgraded to a Radeon 6800.  I've done everything... new SSD, new Windows, etc.  Doesn't help. 

0 Likes

Update:

4 days with the borrowed CPU, and no issues at all. 

Installed my original one again, first day (yesterday) was fine - using XMP and not letting the CPU go over 3.9GHz. Today, game black screened and restarted. Tried Prime95 again, and ran fine at low FFTs for an hour but running Path of Exile for 10 minutes and it did not like it. 

Might just conclude it's my CPU that has an underlying fault - or the CPU I borrowed didn't get a chance to reach the point where my CPU did.

Current results:

• Borrowed CPU - lasted 4 days straight no issues with Path of Exile. Hours on Prime95 Low FFTs test and no issues.
  • Original CPU - lasted around 24 hours before getting a crash with Path of Exile. An hour after the crash on Prime 95 Low FFTs test and no issues. 
  • Ruling out temperatures being an issue - previously my cooling unit wasn't sat properly since my idle temperatures were 40 to 50 degrees Celsius and now it's 30 to 40 degrees Celsius. Maximum temperatures of Prime95 Low FFTs test was 70 and 85 degrees Celsius (3.9GHz and 4.2GHz respectively).

I would use Driver Verifier but I have no idea if I'm using it correctly. Currently what I did before I gave up on it:

1. Create restore point
  2. Start Driver Verifier Manager (searching "verifier" in the Windows search function)
  3. Choose "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
  4. Choose everything except "Randomized low resources simulation" and "DDI compliance checking"
  5. Choose "Select driver from a list"
  6. Choose everything except Microsoft related drivers
  7. Restart computer
  8. Restore back to the point and restart the whole process again if it crashes but going through each driver by provider.

My computer instantly BSOD once I set it up (Unknown, AMD, Avast, Corsair, NordVPN, Razer, Realtek, and WireGuard). With so many different combinations that I can't tell what could be the underlying issue. At some point, WhoCrashed reported the following probably crashed it:

• nordlwf.sys
  • rzdev_0226.sys

So I tried them both individually (step 5 I changed to only Razer drivers on one run and NordVPN only on another run). Both got past the login screen. I've reinstalled them both for good measure, but still getting issues. Haven't tried Driver Verifier Manager with my borrowed CPU as I have already gave it back. 

Was my next step/test supposed to be leave Driver Verifier Manager running with only NordVPN and Razer?

In addition to this, my H100i, the microUSB is constantly connecting and disconnecting so not sure if that's also a cause of the issue (hasn't done this during my tests with the borrowed CPU but just disconnected there with my original CPU). My last contact with Corsair ended with they will be sending me a replacement of the whole thing - originally thought it was the cable is the issue, but if I plug in the cable at an angle and loosely to the pump it's fine. 

0 Likes

4 days with the borrowed CPU, and no issues at all. 

Installed my original one again, first day (yesterday) was fine - using XMP and not letting the CPU go over 3.9GHz. Today, game black screened and restarted. Tried Prime95 again, and ran fine at low FFTs for an hour but running Path of Exile for 10 minutes and it did not like it. 

Might just conclude it's my CPU that has an underlying fault - or the CPU I borrowed didn't get a chance to reach the point where my CPU did.

Current results:

• Borrowed CPU - lasted 4 days straight no issues with Path of Exile. Hours on Prime95 Low FFTs test and no issues.
  • Original CPU - lasted around 24 hours before getting a crash with Path of Exile. An hour after the crash on Prime 95 Low FFTs test and no issues. 
  • Ruling out temperatures being an issue - previously my cooling unit wasn't sat properly since my idle temperatures were 40 to 50 degrees Celsius and now it's 30 to 40 degrees Celsius. Maximum temperatures of Prime95 Low FFTs test was 70 and 85 degrees Celsius (3.9GHz and 4.2GHz respectively).

I would use Driver Verifier but I have no idea if I'm using it correctly. Currently what I did before I gave up on it:

1. Create restore point
  2. Start Driver Verifier Manager (searching "verifier" in the Windows search function)
  3. Choose "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
  4. Choose everything except "Randomized low resources simulation" and "DDI compliance checking"
  5. Choose "Select driver from a list"
  6. Choose everything except Microsoft related drivers
  7. Restart computer
  8. Restore back to the point and restart the whole process again if it crashes but going through each driver by provider.

My computer instantly BSOD once I set it up (Unknown, AMD, Avast, Corsair, NordVPN, Razer, Realtek, and WireGuard). With so many different combinations that I can't tell what could be the underlying issue. At some point, WhoCrashed reported the following probably crashed it:

• nordlwf.sys
  • rzdev_0226.sys

So I tried them both individually (step 5 I changed to only Razer drivers on one run and NordVPN only on another run). Both got past the login screen. I've reinstalled them both for good measure, but still getting issues. Haven't tried Driver Verifier Manager with my borrowed CPU as I have already gave it back. 

Was my next step/test supposed to be leave Driver Verifier Manager running with only NordVPN and Razer?

In addition to this, my H100i, the microUSB is constantly connecting and disconnecting so not sure if that's also a cause of the issue (hasn't done this during my tests with the borrowed CPU but just disconnected there with my original CPU). My last contact with Corsair ended with they will be sending me a replacement of the whole thing - originally thought it was the cable is the issue, but if I plug in the cable at an angle and loosely to the pump it's fine. 

0 Likes

No black screen and computer restarting itself with my original 3800X since my last post.

Yesterday, boom! It happened while playing Age of Empire 2: Definitive Edition. Also happened today with Path of Exile. Guess I can rule out Cyberpunk 2077 being the problem.

Haven't heard back from AMD for a week.

Only error I get from Event Viewer is the usual "WHEA-Logger" "ID 18" event.

0 Likes

I have made a little update on my fix for black screen crashes since I forgot to mention an important detail which may be the reason for that it works for me but not others.

Please see this link below and the subsequent comments, since perhaps (who knows) this may solve your issues?

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/graphics-card-issues/m-p/442325/highlight/true#M138300

I find it strange that I always, and I mean always, can fix all black screen crashes or freezing crashes to desktop in this way, but others would not be able too.

Anyone have any idea of why this fix always works for me in this strange way?

0 Likes

@RomatebitegeL - Can't find the quote button, so just going to use "@"

Just set up your possible fix, reinstalled it three times for good measure. No harm in trying though.

Only time can tell whether or not it will be fixed. My issue can happen at very sporadic times. 10 minutes into a game, 24 hours into a game, 1 second into the game, changing graphic parameters in-game, 5 days later, months later. 

The difference between the issue in that post compared to mine is:

1. Black screens
  2. For a split second to a second, sound still continues and I can still hear people on discord
  3. This is where it is different: mine restarts itself so no hanging or power still going. Just a hard reset. 

My current thoughts are now:

1. My microUSB cable connection to the H100i Platinum RGB is very loosely connected and at an angle because it won't stay connected. Currently getting constant disconnects and sometimes reconnects. Maybe that's causing a power surge and forces the PC to restart - thus the WHEA-logger event. Alternatively, it doesn't work after being disconnected and no longer sense CPU temperatures and overheats. However, I read that even without the microUSB connection, it should still function.
  2. One of the components connected to the motherboard via an external USB is the issue. However, I have no idea how to test this if my issue occurs at sporadic timeframe. Currently, I have connected to my PC:
    • Razer components (you can judge me, I don't care :P):
      • Firefly
      • Huntsman Elite
      • Lancehead
      • Base Station Chroma
        • FiiO E7 with UE900
      • Seiren X
    • PS4 Controller
    • External HDD

3. Communication error between AMD CPU and GPU since nVidia GPU worked fine my CPU for over 3 days. However, could be a red herring and not tested long enough. Also Intel CPU and AMD GPU worked fine for my mate.

4. Driver clashes. Can't really nail this one down since I can't work Driver Verifier and couldn't get minidumps even using these sources: Link 1 and Link 2
0 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaaand it happened again. Three times. All WHEA-Logger.

Simply playing Minecraft at the lowest setting possible and boom! It crashed. All at varying times. 

Played Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition with mates for a solid 5-6 hours, no crash. Moved onto Path of Exile for an hour, no crash. Move onto Minecraft and then an hour in, black screen, sound continues but struggling. Seconds later, my computer was really making a very good effort to stay alive as music is still playing but stuttering and I can hear my mates, but also stuttering. Then the usual end: a forced restart.

Came back on, loaded up MC again black screen and forced restart in less than 5 minutes. Third times the charm? Not in this case, less than 2 minutes and it happened again. 

I feel like just chucking this hunk of junk and hope that fixes it.

0 Likes

I don't know what cases black screen crash restarts of the system (or do you mean you restart the system?), someone mentioned in another thread it was the chipset something, and that he updated it and that he had no such crashes anymore after that.

But the normal black screen crashes to desktop, are they resolved for you?

By the way, if you press "control alt delete" and log out of the system*, you would not need to force restart the system.

* (if it fails to log out, just cancel, and the game will still be closed)

Since Minecraft struggles, try reinstalling the driver at least two times, and it may solve the issue. I had no problem in any games but when I played Halo all of sudden I got black screen crashes, what solved it was to reinstall the driver again just so that it did not crash again in Halo, and it succeeded. Hence, try to reinstalling the driver again, open Minecraft, and see if it is stable. If it is not, reinstall again until it becomes stable.

0 Likes

@RomatebitegeL 

A week ago, I did try a different CPU (same make and model but different batch number) and worked for five days with no issues. However, when I put in my CPU again, it worked for four days with no issues, but on the fifth day, it was back again - gets progressively worse randomly. 

I wish I got crash to desktop. I never got crashes to desktop (only a few blue moon incidents back in December). At least I know it's a bad GPU driver or the game itself.

When I say forced restart, I mean the computer restarts itself. I don't do anything.

I'd like to try and see if Windows 10 2004 has the same issues - 20H2 may be the cause and it could be a while before we get a Windows 10 update.

0 Likes

Freshly reinstalled Windows 10 [20H2], latest BIOS installed, and AMD drivers (recommended) installed three times with factory reset [from @RomatebitegeL] at each iteration - no profile checkbox since it's a fresh install so there will be no profile existing. Also before December 2020 drivers were used. These are the results:

• Yesterday: Zero issues with only AMD drivers installed. However, lots of black screen until I turn off my screen and back on again - which is new. I also have turned off Free-Sync off the monitor since December 2020 - when this issue started. This is just playing Minecraft.
  • Today: Black screen, sound continues for a few seconds, then computer decides to restart itself in Minecraft. Few hours on Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition worked fine. So I can rule out Corsair and Razer drivers being an issue. Same error as usual: WHEA Logger Event ID 18

Current conclusions:

• One of my AMD hardware has an underlying fault that only trips on certain occasions
  • Window drivers are having issues with AMD drivers. 
0 Likes

Hi, I don't know if this solution will help, but it has fixed the crashes/restarts with other people:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/6900xt-constant-crashes/m-p/443533/highlight/true#M138...

Try reading the thread and find the solution. Perhaps it will help you as well, and it does not hurt trying.

P.S.

Also this thread has a fix that has solved black screen / blue screen crashes for some people:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/rysen-5-3400g-blackscreen-and-bluescreen/m-p/290455/hi...

0 Likes

I also have crashes but i have a 3900xt cpu and a EVGA 1070 gtx card.

1 second black screen and than Restart only youtube watching

all bios settings are in stock

Cooler: Scythe mugen 5

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

RAM: G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3600 Kit

Storage 1: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD

Storage 2: Samsung NVMe

GPU: EVGA 1070 gtx

Case: define-7

PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11  850W

Monitor: Asus PG278

0 Likes
caleb_cruze
Adept II

Here are some other potential solutions:

1. Use the Win+Ctrl+Shift+B hotkey combination to restart your PC’s graphics drivers. This may fix some problems.
  2. Force shut down your PC—you’ll lose all work if you do this, but sometimes it’s your only option. To do this, press and hold your PC’s physical power button until it shuts down. Wait a few seconds and then press the power button to turn it back in.
  3. Make sure your keyboard and mouse are connected to your PC and have battery power—seriously! Your PC may just show a black screen if it turns down the display for power-saving mode. There’s a chance your keyboard is unplugged or your mouse lost battery power and your PC can’t receive the input.

Regards,
Caleb

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ich hatte das gleiche Problem auch, schau dir diesen Link an. Hat mir zuerst gut geholfen, die Abstürze zu reduzieren.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cf111o/fixes_propably_a_lot_of_issues_with_rx_5700_rx/

Und oder probiere dann einfach folgendes aus:

Installiere die neue Radeon Software 21.2.2 , seitdem auf Level Game ohne Probleme !

In Win10 gehe zu Einstellungen dann System auf dieser Seite unten Grafikeinstellungen und stelle dort von Windows auf AMD Software um.

Wichtig ist auch im Bios den PCI Express von Auto auf Gen 3 umzustellen, Win10 kommt wohl mit PCI Express 4 zurecht!

0 Likes

@RomatebitegeL 

Thank you for the suggestions. Seems like I forgot to reply to this.

Those were the last tests I tried before sending it back to the retailer for a repair/replacement and unfortunately, still getting the same WHEA-Logger events. Due to not getting any BSODs, trying every forum/guide to force enable it, all I can get are the WHEA-Logger events.

It's been two weeks since I last heard from the retailer though even after I send them an email every 3rd day - as they requested that much due to the current situation. 

@Punsher22 

Sadly, I was unable to find the solution since early December. Eventually just sent it to the retailer to see if they can fix it as they test it themselves before proceeding with a replacement. Sorry I couldn't have helped any more. You can try the same tests I've done - to rule any specific parts. I could be wrong, but I would assume the following based on my own testing and other forum posts so far:

• PSU: OCCT or any other testing software that outputs voltage data to see if the voltages are stable during the crash (I think if you record the data with the software it should log it before the PC crashes)
  • RAM: MemTest86 - I only used the free version. Zero errors is what you should expect. If not, even 1 error, is a potential bad RAM
  • GPU: No idea how to test a failing GPU. The way I usually test it is with my friend. But with stricter lockdowns, might be difficult to do.
  • CPU: Prime95 but also could be down to the cooler
  • CPU Cooler: If temperatures are getting worse without changing anything, check if the cooler is on securely and sufficient paste is added - had that happen a few times
  • Storage Drives: I just take them out, use an adapter and plug it in to my laptop
  • Cables: No idea how to test if these are the culprit without having to trying a different PSU
  • Motherboard: I've only had this happened once where the motherboard and CPU shorted - somehow my GPU, PSU, RAM, and HDD survived. The computer won't even get to BIOS if it's a bad connection on the motherboard I believe - but only had it happen once.

I am still concluding - for my case anyway - that it's either a faulty CPU or some sort of communication error between my CPU and GPU models based on all the testing I've done.

@caleb_cruze 

For point 1, never seen this before (Win+Ctrl+Shift+B). Guess I have been lucky that I always get crash to desktop or had to do forced shutdowns when I get computer freezes or game freezes - lucky is a bad choice of word since any crash or freezing is not good at all. Sadly, not sure how it will help with my issue as I don't get a choice what to do when I get a black screen followed by a restart. Like mentioned before: black screen, sound continues briefly (in-game and people on discord talking), then the system restarts itself - I don't hard reset/shutdown or do anything to make a restart the computer does it.

Whoever doesn't know point 2 after using a computer over 2 decades, either are lucky with computers and has never experienced the computer freezes where the only choice is a forced shut down. I envy them.

For point 3, I've never had power saving mode on for any computer for over a decade.

However, thank you for the suggestion.

@Anonymous 

I don't know German, so I used Google translate  Unfortunately, I have already tried what you have suggested and didn't work for me

----------

Thank you for the replies everyone. 

Hopefully the retailer can resolve my issue as my motherboard and CPU are with them now. Corsair has my CPU cooler and is taking as long as expected based on reviewers of the product of any Corsair related thing. AMD Technical Help team has been, let's put this lightly, disappointing compared to some of the people on the forum.

0 Likes

Got an update from my retailer and a replacement CPU and motherboard are being sent back to me

On their side of testing, both the CPU and motherboard had when tested individually as stability issues - so probably had faulty items to begin with and got worse over time - less than 6 months.

Once I get my CPU cooler back from Corsair (whenever that will be), I can finally test my build again and hopefully there's no more issues.

I'll update this post when I get everything setup and tested for at least a week.

So based on the retailer, current conclusion is faulty/unstable motherboard and CPU - but will confirm this much later. My estimate is mid-March.

0 Likes

Well, that was fun. Rebuilt my computer yesterday after receiving my replaced CPU, motherboard, and CPU cooler. 

Still getting a WHEA-Logger Event ID 18 error...

I'm so confused where the problem lies...

0 Likes

Update:

Working from home via VPN, I've been leaving the desktop running for around 9 to 15 hours on weekdays (since the 03/03/2021) and half that during the weekend. Since my last occurrence (03/03/2021) of the WHEA-Logger Event ID 18 issue I did the following after it happened:

• Reset the CMOS and set the BIOS to default.
  • Turned off PBO and CBS.
  • Turned off Fast Boot
  • Turned back to standard as the advisor for the GPU.
  • Power settings on Windows, I set it as AMD Balanced with hard drive to never turn off, never sleep or be able to idle basically, minimum CPU usage to 5% and maximum to 99%.

It didn't occur until again until the 08/03/2021 with the above changes just by simply logging into Windows. Can't say it's 100% the solution, but feel free to try it and see if it works for you - if you haven't already, but will test mine out for longer.  So I decided to try what the retailer suggested:

• VDDRC_SOC voltage to Offset mode, then add 0.01V (ASUS automates this to 0.0125V)
  • Can't remember which parameter I used, but changed the voltage to 1.3V for the CPU as well

So far, no issues yet.

0 Likes

After a week, the issues are back. 

Literally have no idea what's causing the issues now. 

0 Likes

@Nickamus 
Hi
Did you ever solve this?
Having the exact same issues and tried nearly everything - driving me mad
5800X + 6900 XT
Can go for days without any black screen and then suddenly 5 within an hour or two.. Always when gaming..
Tried everything but manually setting cpu and dram voltage in BIOS.. That'll be my next move.. So much frustration!!

0 Likes

@hmanndk 

After several months of different tests, in the end (solved a few days ago) the issue was from the following components:

• CPU and motherboard - retailer sent me new one earlier this year. When the issue still occurred last month, I sent it back, but this time no issues.
  • GPU - last month I sent this back as well to the retailer and really hoped it was not faulty. Retailer tested it and turned out to be faulty. I've upgraded to the 6700XT.

Not sure if the RAM was ever faulty (since MemTest86 didn't report one error), but Amazon was happy to send a replacement 

0 Likes

I'm not sure it's my/the hardware. I have no other problems at all.
I reset my BIOS to factory defaults and enabled D.O.C.P (xmp) as the only thing.
Not saying it solved, but I haven't had any black screens or any other problem for 5 days now.
Waiting a bit more though, to conclude that is have been "fixed". Maybe just some driver issues/conflicts.
Hard to tell, and a bit frustrating that the reason can't be pinpointed to a single or a few settings somewhere.
Thing is, I don't want to start RMA'ing hardware if it's "just" software/driver problems. Especially not my 6900XT, as that is going to take forever to replace and as I mentioned earlier, I have no other problems with it at all.

0 Likes

Hello, I had the exact same issue as you had, and after many test the problem was from the RAM.

A test you didn't mention (and test it) is letting the memory operate at its base frequency (which is 2666 from 3600 with XMP for me).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried these problems with my new PC setup a year ago to avoid using everything except the Threadripper 1900X, of course, from Gigabyte Aorus. I also had start-up problems, but I solved them with GiBy Support. My liquid cooler was screwed on too tight, after turning it back once, zero problem since then. Actually only the Radeon driver and my RX5700XT bitch now and then, which is why I only use the MSI Afterburner, which can be set statically (force constant voltage). The Adrenalin software, on the other hand, always tries to optimize the graphics card, regardless of what you set. Many games and DX 12 graphics machines don't like that.

0 Likes