cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Are 7xxxX3D Chips Windows Only?!?

AMD just posted a blog entitled: "How To Set Up Your System with A New AMD Ryzen™ 9 7950X3D Or Ryzen™ 9 7900X3D Processor."

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/how-to-set-up-your-system-with-a-new-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-or/ba-p... 

About half way down, it says that you have to have Windows Game Mode ON and the Xbox Game Bar App installed and updated.  That implies the X3D chips REQUIRE Windows.  I even watched a KitGuru video where he talked about handling the cached-cores needs that.  So, again, the implication is that Windows is REQUIRED.  What about Linux users?  Is AMD now trapping us in the Windows eco-system?

3 Replies

Here is an article about the Ryzen 9 7900X3D from one of the Internet's premier Linux Tech sites and forums article about how that processor performs using Linux OS: https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-ryzen9-7950x3d-linux

Here is the conclusion from that Review article:

Overall the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D performed very well on Linux for gaming and workloads where the large L3 cache via AMD 3D V-Cache really paid off. But with the lower TDP than the Ryzen 9 7950X and possibly some issues around optimal task placement between CCDs, for some workloads the Ryzen 9 7950X3D was less impressive. Again, see the nearly 400 benchmark results in full to help evaluate whether the 7950X or 7950X3D is most practical for your needs. If power efficiency is a driving factor, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D easily stands as the champion and also as a compelling processor for Linux gamers.

Stay tuned and hopefully soon will be able to provide Linux benchmarks on the Ryzen 9 7900X3D and especially the Ryzen 7 7800X3D for seeing how the AMD 3D V-Cache is there for not having to worry about frequency vs. cache CCD differences on Linux. As any Linux optimizations for the differing CCDs come about, I'll also be covering it and running more benchmarks on Phoronix. Thanks to AMD for providing the Ryzen 9 7950X3D for this pre-launch-day Linux testing.

A processor generally, in my opinion, is not OS specific and any OS should work with any processor installed.

The exception is if a processor is compatible with Windows 11 or not due to it security requirements.

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Good article.  Thanks for the reference.

cwiggles
Elite

Also, Wendel from Level1Tech did a short youtube video on the 7950X3d runing under Linux. His overall impression was very favourable. Worth a watch, I rate his videos very highly. 

Craig