Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Mrphoton
Newcomer

Drivers crashing Windows 11

HP pavilion desktop TP01-2234 i upgraded:

AMD Razen 7 5000 series processor, 5700G, 8 core, CPU base clock 3.8 gigahertz 

16G RAM DDR4 3200 megahertz (I expanded to 32G with a second 16G card in extra slot)

1TB SSD

PSU 180watts. (I replaced with an HP brand PSU the best they build 550w squeezed in there)

GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6650XT Core 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 (had to get an adapter to fit the HP PSU)

Windows 11 Home

Using Omen gaming hub to watch the stats of the systems I observed the GUP % bouncing around 70-99% with the graphics set to ultra on No Man Sky. CPU and RAM both stayed much lower. Temps on GPU an CPU were a little high 170F(76C). FPS was steady 60. While in game play.  

Got all the upgrades installed got all the updates and drivers and everything was running fine for about 2.5 weeks. Then after playing No Mans Sky for a few hours and having played helldivers2 for maybe 40min before that I had quite to the desk top and was gonna finally check out Fallout 3. Tried to start a new game and it crashed to the desktop. Try to open the game nothing happens, try to open the Start menu and restart the PC nothing happens, try to open the Star menu and shut down the PC, nothing happens. I couldn't open any games or apps but I could open file explorer and browse file but not much else. 

So with no other options I press and hold the power button to shut down the PC. After it boots to the login screen I instead restart the PC from the restart option there. Once it boots up to the login screen again I this time shut it down completely unplug it and go to bed for the night. Next morning I plug it back in and try again. Login and it opens my desk top but same as before can't start anything, cant restart, can't shutdown, keyboard commands aren't working my desktop background keeps rotating to the images I have it to use so it knows that.

I keep trying to access anything till eventually the Star button won't open anymore then the screen goes black but I can still see and move the mouse curser. So no choice but to hold the power button again. So this time I turn it on it gets to the login and I hit restart while holding the shift key to enter the troubleshooting mode and I choose to reinstall Windows from the cloud. It downloads, installs, I login and it guides me through a new set up and things look to be working. I get on the Internet download stream install it just fine, log into goggle. I redownload the driver's for my graphics card, do all the updates and restart the PC to finish installing and apon logging in after restarting same issue again?  

I read up on things and find that AMD drivers have been know to do this very problem. So I reinstall Windows again but this time it won't do it from the cloud only the local info so I do it. It works again I start setting up everything again but I don't get the AMD drivers this time or any other updates yet. I do some more Internet reading I see that it could be my HP bios needs an update so I go to the HP support app and do an update. Well as part of the update it wants to restart the PC to finish.. 

You guessed it same problem after restarting it occured. So I go back to he troubleshooting boot up and choose system restore the only one available was right before I did the HP bios update. So I try that. I eventually get back to my desk top after that restore point and it still won't let me do anything. I keep trying things till I get to it's a black screen with the curser again and have to hold the power button down again. Power up restart with the shift key to get back to the troubleshooting menu. Try to reinstall Windows again it says it "can't and nothing has changed". Restore point won't do anything cause I already went back. I tell it to go to windows and it has a blue screen error say there was a problem and it's restarting for me it trys to diagnose and correct the issue itself but can't and goes back to troubleshooting menu. Now it's in a loop of not opening.  

I haven't tried booting and installing Windows via a USB drive because why bother till I find the root cause since reinstall of Windows only works till the next time I restart or shutdown the PC. 

I'm thinking of trying to replace the RAM since it's relatively cheap. Should I remove the GPU and put the old power supply back before that? Read somethings that said the RAM could be doing this. Also possibly taking the motherboards battery out to clear the bios? 

Replaced SSD and installed Windows 11 as if it were a clean new PC. Got it set up mostly and made a Restore point name it so I would remember it. It ran fine for a day of Helldivers2. Next day I hit the windows update then apon restart it can't recognize the GPU. The update did list AMD drivers so I figured going to AMD and reinstalling the drivers will bring it back. As it's installing at the end the image gets better and it recognizes the GPU again. I restart to finish the installation and when I get to the desktop again everything is frozen again. I immediately do a restore point that I set before I did the windows update and it's working again. I paused any updates from happening till August.

0 Likes
1 Reply

Does resetting the Pc help the issue if so for how long and do you overclock?

Adam J Martin
0 Likes