cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Hibiscus
Adept II

amduw23g device not started on 2 different PCs

i tested my Rx 7600 on another PC and it still gives me the amduw23g device not started error in the window event log. 

most of the threads i find are some similar but "device is not responding / recovered succesfully", i cant find something that is the same to my problem.

anyway i tried many, many fixes but nothing worked. the fact that it gave the same error on another PC just made me realize that i was stupid for trying to fix something that its not really my problem. spent almost 4 months updating to the most recent drivers thinking something would be fixed, but nothing. tried older drivers and those wouldnt work either. uninstall, format, update and repeat again and again.

GPU is still under warranty fortunately, and if the replacement still doesnt work, i will just sell it to get an Nvidia or Intel that will actually work.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hibiscus
Adept II

i have done some more tests, and also tried to set a personalized resolution like some threads on reddit and on this website suggested to do, along with thousands of "fixes" and everything but with no avail. i contacted the shop from which i bought the GPU and they also told me that its not the first time that an AMD GPU had similar problems and that it looked like a common thing to him. 

in the end, i thought it was a firmware issue (for a moment i thought that maybe the previous owner might had done something stupid with it), but when i checked there was nothing wrong with the firmware version, as it was simply the official one. 

spending months troubleshooting and finding out that the problem was the GPU all along kinda suck, it shouldnt have taken so long but im not really a tech person. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies

That error has been around for a few years, the only time you see it is on a driver install.

That driver has a manual start trigger in registry and for some reason MS does not see or report it running in device  manager or event viewer.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

What's the fix then? i tested on both Windows 11 and Windows 10, what would you suggest to do? i tried many drivers and none worked. games either run horribly or cant even start 

0 Likes

That error does not cause any issues, ignore it.

As i don't have a 7000 series card i can't help with any issues related to it.

Re. 'games run horribly or can't even start', either the card is faulty or you have incompatible 3rd party software/apps, corrupt OS, ram/storage drives going bad, old model/old spec psu no longer capable of sustaining load?

Have you run stress/error tests on those other components?

Looked in dxdiag and/or msinfo error reports?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

i have tried 3Dmark, heaven benchmark, Cinebench (new update have a GPU stress test feature), furmark and i think a couple of others. ran those for a pretty long time, sometime with a couple of them simultaneously (one for gpu and other for cpu load) to see if my PSU would give up but it didnt. 

when i tried different drivers, Fortnite did run better, but other games like the first descendant (which worked before) kept crashing at start up

EDIT: yeah i did show my MSinfo page to another user on Microsoft support's forum and he couldnt find any error

0 Likes

What results from memtest, occt (various tests), storage drives checks (some may take hours to run).

Dxdiag, msinfo, windows reliability history error reports.

0 Likes

i did try to run the Window's diagnose tool for RAM (i dont remember whats called) and didnt find any error. 

i don't believe the storage drive to be the problem since the one on my main PC is relatively new and crystal disk info says its good.  i also tested the same GPU on another completely different system with a completely new SSD and a fresh Windows 10 install.

i reinstalled  my old Nvidia GPU and its not giving any errors for now if thats relevant to the problem. maybe i will try a couple more tests so at least i will learn something

0 Likes

also i did format the PC a couple and updated the motherboard BIOS to see if that would have fixed the problem

0 Likes

sorry, hello?

0 Likes
Hibiscus
Adept II

i have done some more tests, and also tried to set a personalized resolution like some threads on reddit and on this website suggested to do, along with thousands of "fixes" and everything but with no avail. i contacted the shop from which i bought the GPU and they also told me that its not the first time that an AMD GPU had similar problems and that it looked like a common thing to him. 

in the end, i thought it was a firmware issue (for a moment i thought that maybe the previous owner might had done something stupid with it), but when i checked there was nothing wrong with the firmware version, as it was simply the official one. 

spending months troubleshooting and finding out that the problem was the GPU all along kinda suck, it shouldnt have taken so long but im not really a tech person. 

0 Likes

I don't know if you found a solution, but I have the same problem as you. 

I read online that the 7000 series have problems with firmware and the solution is to downgrade to 23.10.2

I had crashes all the time and pretty much every time my PC turned on , I had to delete the drivers and reinstall. "amduw23g device not started" was the problem.

So far downghrading to 23.10.2. Let me know if you have found another solution.

0 Likes

i also thought about changing the firmware, but BE AWARE, if you lose power while its updating/downgrading and it bricks, its going to void the warranty. i have 2 years of warranty remaining on this GPU, so im sending this one back to AMD / Sapphire, sometimes my zone loses power so im not going to try honestly 

0 Likes

In your previous comment, you said you tried lots of different drivers?

Were you not being truthful? 

0 Likes

i re read your comment since i thought you were only speaking about firmware, and still yes, i did try different drivers, including the one that you've stated since someone else already did recommended me the same one, saying i should try a "more stable" version of the drivers, and those wouldn't work either. i even tried the very first available driver that its possible to find on AMD's website for my GPU and updating my Motherboard chipset drivers.

i also tried to update my Motherboard BIOS (thinking that was the problem) and still nothing. 

one thing i have to add: reinstalling the drivers caused coil whine near the Motherboard's VRM, especially when launching Fortnite for some weird reason. changing the FPS cap to 165fps removed the sound most of the time. it wouldnt do that in other games. 

i reinstalled my previous Nvidia GPU and its flawless tho, never crashed once 

0 Likes