cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Google installs COVID-19 tracker on Android

Noticed a new bluetooth app on my Android cellphone..... "COVID-19 Exposure Notification". I won't go into the details of the tracking it does, if you have a Android phone..go to 'Setting' / 'Google' / sign in..and there is the notification. And it tells you how they have invaded your privacy and rights. This app is not a choice..you will get it. They say you can disable it by turning off your bluetooth but you can't delete it.

0 Likes
5 Replies

And if you use a smartwatch or other Bluetooth device, you can't turn off Bluetooth...The worst part is on Apple devices you CAN turn it off, hopefully Google will, or be forced to make, it disablable very soon...

You can disable bluetooth (how hard is it to turn on remotely?) or you can turn off the location services (ditto). Other countries are debating the civil rights of the tracking apps and who's to say when and why they should be deleted? "There may be another crisis" good to have a app in place. It's all Bovine Scat.

0 Likes

Especially since Google was caught collecting location data even when location access was disabled, which they "supposedly" stopped...

There is a class action over the abuses, 

Here in Canada privacy is a Charter Right which is even more powerful.

0 Likes
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

As I understand it, the API has been updated to allow your phone to interact with your local government's tracing app. On it's own it does nothing, you need to install the local app for it to be enabled.

0 Likes