Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sully60
Adept I

Ryzen 5 2400G + BSOD "video tdr failure"

benman2785

Thanx for the response and advice to repost here. I appreciate your taking the time to consider my particular situation. I won't restate here all the details of what I've tried since November 2019, please refer to my post where you first responded amdcleanuputility

To summarize, the system (listed below) was built Summer 2019, a 2nd pc to use as a 'home theater pc', hooked up for internet access and streaming music/movies. Previously, I used an asus intel i3 laptop for the same hook-up, with good results. Initially the Ryzen build was working great, much faster than the old i3 and no probs. Somewhere around November, the AMD Adrenalin software suggested an update, and I went ahead. Since then, I got repeated BSOD's with "Video tdr failure atikmpag.sys" error codes. Many hours of research (here and elsewhere) resulted in many references to the 2400g and these BSOD's along with numerous and varied suggestions regarding both the Adrenalin software installation procedures, as well as Mobo and RAM settings. Many hours were spent trying one particular suggestion of 'settings', then using the 'DDU' procedure to methodically clean and reinstall drivers (AMD chipset, then Adrenalin). When one failed, another was tried and so on down the list. All resulted in various lengths of time before BSOD came back. Please note this long list of attempts has included 2 clean installs of Windows 10.

I would also note that this AM, after 17 BSOD's over a 2 hour period, I uninstalled the Adrenalin software. Currently running only the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' for about 6 hours with no BSOD's. This is with RAM set to 2133 MHz, 1.2v, and 15 - 15 - 15 - 36. Over the past months, I have resorted to uninstalling the Adrenalin software and run with only the 'Basic' driver, for days at a time with no BSOD's but of course limited video performance. If/when I decide to 'try again' to install Adrenalin, BSOD's emerge ("video tdr failure" and sometimes "video schedule internal error").

Last I'd note seeing numerous posts (here and elsewhere) referencing the Corsair RAM (listed below), some citing good results paired with the 2400g and some citing BSOD and other problems. Some praising only the 'samsung' version, cursing the 'hynix' version and some claiming no problems with either!

The Build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g
MoBo: MSI B450m Gaming Plus (BIOS up to date)
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
   * Label on each RAM module:
      Part No. - CMK16GX4M2B3000C15  SK Hynix, ver5.30
   * Voltages: Current = 1.2 v @ 2133 MHz (have tried to run at 1.35 v per RAM specs, at various speeds up through the       3000 mhz spec, BSOD's still occurred after change in setting and after drivers reinstalled).
   * Settings for RAM: (Per CPU-Z)  Current  15 - 15 - 15 - 36  (have tried '15-17-17-35' which is Corsair's spec for this       RAM at 3000 MHz, 1.35v = BSOD's. Have also tried XMP profiles.

Again, I appreciate your time to consider this problem.

0 Likes
3 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

hey
try your ram at 3000MHz 16-16-16-34-52 & tRFC 312-192-120
if that not work try 3000MHz 16-18-18-36-56 & tRFC 448-256-128

your problem exists because Ryzen doesnt like CL15 && Zen and Zen+ are still picky on RAM

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Thanx for the advice. I've taken a few days to test, unfortunately the results aren't good. I guess the positive is that during the tests, I've learned a bit about RAM and timings, particularly with Ryzen and why Ryzen is 'picky'.

Please note that after my last post, I had been running the system with the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' for about 2 days, with no BSOD's, albeit reduced video performance. Then I tried both the suggested memory timings/setting, each after doing a full driver clean/install (DDU, disable internet, ect). Almost immediately, 'video tdr' and 'video scheduler' BSOD's. The system would reboot but BSOD's returned multiple times. I ran the system for most of a day, with each of the memory settings, but no improvement. Note: this is a 'HTPC', used for internet surfing and streaming music/movies, with some gaming at very modest settings. In the ean, I returned BIOS and memory to default and uninstalled Adrenalin. No more BSOD.

There's a twist to the story: I came across a local repair shop that had a RX 560 he was willing to sell for cheap. So I did the 'DDU dance', disabled the on-board graphics in BIOS, installed the RX 560 and installed Adrenalin. As of this post, the system has been running for 2 days with no BSOD's. I ran Cinebench with results that seem in line with on-line benchmarks for the 2400g and the RX 560. I'm not experienced with testing/benchmarking, but over the next week I thought I try to learn more and conduct some stress-testing.

If I might ask a question: I was thinking I might invest a bit more in this system for memory that would be compatible for the Ryzen, and then learn more about how to tweak settings and overclocking. My intention would be to remove the video card and attempt to get the 2400g to work as it was designed. I've read that CL14 or CL16 at 3000/3200 MHz would be a better fit for Ryzen. Any thoughts? Any suggestions for compatible RAM? I'd be willing to spend up at $100. I came across, for example:

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model C... 

Thanx for your time and suggestions!

I spoke a little too soon . . . a problem surfaced, but it's audio not video! It appears there is a HDMI audio glitch with AMD graphics cards (see link below). Before installed RX 560, HDMI audio was visible in Sound Control panel and HDMI audio was connected. After install RX 560, HDMI disappears from Sound Control panel and no audio output through HDMI. I was able to use a 3.5 mm jack to RCA cable to connect audio output from motherboard to home theater receiver, apparently with good audio quality. I guess the phrase applies, 'if it's not one thing, it's another'!

@https://community.amd.com/thread/239954 

mh, looks like your MoBo doesnt like the RAM & CPU Combo.

The Corsair LPX 3200CL16 is usually XMP stable (With Zen+) at most X370; B450; X470 and X570 MoBos - not sure about A320 and B350
so give it a try - like here in Germany you can order it online - test it - and return within 14 days of delivery and get your money back (without reason)
if your country has similar rules you can test them and keep it it works or return if not!
i have G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200CL14 - i run them DDR4-3466CL16 without issues.
If you want i can try them with my workstation too (GA-AB350N-WiFi + Ryzen 5 2400G) - but would need 2-3 days for that

ah one more tip:

1.08V SOC Voltage
1.4V DRAM-Voltage
0.7V cLDO VDDP Voltage

please check what dies are on your RAM (like Samsung B-Dies or Hynix AFR-Dies or Micron B-Dies etc)
i will than show you how to find best settings for your RAM!

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes