cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

hedley
Journeyman III

amdcleanuputility

I used the AMD cleanup utility clicked the yes use in safe mode tab,now my system will only boots in safemode please help guys got a useless pc now thanks to AMD crap

0 Likes
9 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

we need WAY more infos

what shows the system log?

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Boot up your PC.
Download latest version of DDU and load it onto your PC C: drive somehow. 

Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download

Download the AMD Driver you want to install. I suggest you use Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1. Get it onto your PC C: Drive.

Extract and run DDU in safe mode and remove AMD GPU drivers.
Make sure wireless is off and physically disconnect the PC from ethernet cable.
You should be able to reboot the PC into normal mode.
Do not connect to internet.
Install the AMD Driver.
Reboot your PC. 

It is possible your C: Drive is corrupted so it may be worthwhile removing it, connecting it to another PC and running disk checks / repair on the drive.

0 Likes

Remember that the Internet is run mainly by your hard drive, so be careful

what sites you visit etc, and yes, if you can, go offline fully, disconnect

from everything internet-based if possible

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
sully60
Adept I

I been lurking for a few months and picked up some pointers with various issues, so thanx for that past help!

My first build is a Ryzen 5 2400g with Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, on a MSI b450m gaming plus motherboard. I'm using it as a 'home theater pc', hooked up for internet access and streaming music/movies. Previously, I used an asus intel i3 laptop for the same hook-up, with good results.

Initially the Ryzen build was working great, much faster than the old i3 and no probs. Somewhere around November, the AMD Adrenalin software suggested an update, and I went ahead. Since then, I get repeated BSOD's with "Video tdr failure atikmpag.sys" error codes. After searching here and elsewhere, I've tried any number of recommendations to clean and reinstall the AMD drivers, as well as 2 clean installs of Windows 10. Sadly, the result was maybe a few hours to a day without BSOD's! I've also tried using amdcleanuputility, in safemode by itself and with DDU. I've also used the DISM scan tool to check for corrupt windows files. I've also updated the BIOS and AMD chipset drivers (from AMD, not MSI. The MSI chipset drivers wanted to install graphic drivers but didn't identify what version, so I thought that would be a conflict).

One method of clean/reinstall that I often see posted is what Colesdav listed above:

"Extract and run DDU in safe mode and remove AMD GPU drivers.
   Make sure wireless is off and physically disconnect the PC from ethernet cable.
   You should be able to reboot the PC into normal mode.
   Do not connect to internet.
   Install the AMD Driver.
   Reboot your PC."

I've tried this exact method countless times. I've downloaded the latest Adrenalin software from AMD website, but the problem I've encountered is that the software stops and states it can't install without internet connection. At different times, I've tried either Express or Custom Install with the same result . . . no install without internet. I've searched this problem but can't find any reference to the same problem

Am I missing something? Any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

0 Likes

Interesting. Are you saying that the Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2/3/ 2020.1.1  will not install unless you are connected to the Internet?
I believe that I managed to install Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2/3/ that way without problems.
I am going to try installing the latest version (Adrenalin 2020 2020.1.1) today once populate my PC with another Fury based GPU.
I will let you know what I see.

Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 and earlier should install fine w/o connecting to the Internet.

If they now force you to connect to the Internet during the AMD driver installation process I hope they have managed to talk with Microsoft. 
They need to make sure that Windows 10 will not jump in and install older versions of Microsoft "AMD Drivers" before the actual AMD installer then overwrites them with the drivers chosen by the User producing a corrupt install by AMD own driver installation instructions.

If AMD have managed to fix that problem of Microsoft drivers auto install before AMD install then great because it has been happening for >= 3 years.
Then again - I would expect DDU instructions to change w.r.t. disconnecting from the Internet as well.

I will let you know what I see with Adrenalin 2020 2020.1.1. asap.

0 Likes

open a new topic...

btw - tdr failure usually shows RAM-OC is not stable on Ryzen APUs

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Looks like it is confirmed happening on Windows 10.
I tried to install Adrenalin 2020 20.1.1. today and it would not proceed w/o an internet connection.
All I got was an opaque view of the installer outine on the desktop.
I left the internet disconnected for ~ 10 minutes.
I then connected the ethernet cable and installation proceeded.

This is not good, given what happened with older installers if connected to internet then Windows 10 can install it's version of AMD Driver which is old then that gets overwritten by new driver resulting in corrupt install.

Oh well.

0 Likes

Thanx to colesdav and Benman2785 for responding! Been offline for a week due to weather and lousy internet in the countryside, so wasn't able to check responses.

I finally was able to install Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.12.1 with internet disabled, after doing the 'DDU' dance . . . but within a few hours = BSOD's (first 'video tdr failures' and then a new one, 'video scheduler' errors)! N.B. BIOS and chipset drivers have been updated. I've followed what seems to be the most often recommended procedure - DDU, then install (offline) chipset, then Adrenalin. But within what seems a random period of time/circumstance = BSOD's.

I'm beginning to think AMD has decided to treat the APU's as 'orphans', out of sight and mind. When I first encountered these problems (November 2019), I noticed (when searching solutions) that there were many posts (here and elsewhere) regarding the BSOD's and possible solutions. But the number of posts has gradually decreased from dates in late 2018 though 2019. It's sad to think that AMD gave up, but looking at the pattern, there were problems from release and many folks have cited numbers of possible fixes with few if any that seems to last. Combine this observation with the fact I've done 2 error reports to AMD with no response, it's difficult to conclude otherwise. I should say that my skill level is probably only a few steps above novice, but since 1993, I have been able to build a few Intel systems with stable results, along the way upgrading CPU's/ GPU's, and even even AGP's (remember those baby's??). I even built 2 simple AMD systems, even the old Athlon 64! It's sad to reminisce on how easy it was to upgrade and rebuilt those systems and be up and running within a few hours . . . stable for up to a year or more . . . until ya get the bug to buy something new! Recently, my main system is an I7 7700K that has been up and stable for 1.5 years, running FSX and P3d. But this poor little 2400g . . . I can't count how many hours I've spent just trying to get it to function for a small portion of a day!

Benman2785 - Thanx for the thought about RAM. The RAM and the chip aren't OC'd, both set to default, and the RAM set in BIOS to the specs listed by Corsair. I've seen a number of posts (here and elsewhere) regarding RAM specs and AMD APU's. I would offer that the apparent issue of RAM compatibility and the Ryzen APU is another example of how (to me) it seems AMD really dropped the ball on functionality with this CPU . . . since November 2019 I've seen numerous posts (here and elsewhere) of folks citing various brands of RAM to solve the BSOD's, various speeds, clock settings, latency and other settings, as well as 'hynix vs samsung ram' debate and even Version X.XX vs X.XX of those various types!!! I would like to direct the following comment to AMD - WTF!?! It seems as if AMD expects the customer to have a box of parts available to just randomly try until 'something works'. But seriously, I appreciate the response of a possible solution. BTW - when you said 'open a new topic' . . . I'm new to this Community. Should I have posted this elsewhere? I'm not sure of the procedure here . . . any guidance is appreciated!

Sorry for the long post! Not sure where to go from here . . . but thanx for listening!

sully60
we are HERE at "amdcleanuputility"
your Problem is "Ryzen 5 2400G" + BSOD "video tdr failure"

so open up a new topic called: "Ryzen 5 2400G + BSOD "video tdr failure"

i can assure you that your RAM is the problem.

open up a new topic here Processors - fill in name of topic and klick on "ask it"
i need this to help you: CPU/APU + what MoBo + what RAM (like G.Skill F4-3200C14D-GVK) + what voltages used + what settings for RAM

open this new topic and link me with "@" Benman2785 (no " & no space) and i will help you there!