cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sesya16
Journeyman III

Re: WHEA Logger Event ID 18

Close the C-state control in BIOS,it will be ok. 

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Elite

I think I've fixed mine

no WHEA-logger or Event ID 6008 errors since 1/04/21 it's been 6 days and I left my PC on Idle the whole time.

I emailed AMD, I'd already tried most of the things they mentioned except one.
They said set Power Supply Idle Control, from Auto to Typical Current Idle.

I wasn't sure what this was so I Googled it, I found the below from inibrius on reddit:

"Power supply idle control is a motherboard setting for older (or cheaper) power supplies. A power supply requires a positive power draw to continue to feed power to the motherboard, if it detects a low power draw it assumes that the motherboard is in sleep mode, so it turns off until there's noticeable power draw. The problem is that older power supplies were designed where a minimum draw setting may be 5w, whereas a newer motherboard and CPU may only draw 1w at idle. So Idle control is used when your computer actually powers off instead of going to sleep on idle - it sets the threshold of low power draw at idle to like 7.5w so it won't trigger the PSU to turn off.

Basically for this setting, if it's working don't change it."

As my power supply is still pretty good but from 2013 I thought I'd give this a shot, I set it to Typical Current and had no issues since, when before it was happening once or twice a day if I left the PC on.

Anyway if you have an older PSU, give this a shot, hopefully this helps some of you

0 Likes
shockblade
Adept I

I have this exact same problem, PC was running perfectly fine for 5 months and then it just started, I updated my BIOS and all my other drivers, I'm not overclocking at all, and there are no crash dumps, no BSOD, the PC just immediately restarts.

AMD Ryzen 7 38000X  CPU

ASUS Prime X570-P CSM Motherboard

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB

G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4

I tried stress testing and all kinds of things, and the problem 'only' happens when my PC is not 'idling' but close it it, like just watching youtube. So far I cannot replicate the event by tabbing in and out of games or even tabs in Firefox, but as far as I can tell, the ONLY time it ever resets is when I have youtube playing something and I'm doing almost nothing else. I tried both Firefox and Chrome, and had the same reset with both, while playing youtube video's, but at completely random times. sometimes once an hour, sometimes not for 2 days.

Oddly, I updated my sound drivers and it seemed to be completely fixed, no resets or crashes for 5 straight days, then an hour ago I had another reset, so f*ck my life here I am looking for an answer. I will do a format/reinstall of my primary HDD/windows10 and install nothing but the current video drivers and see how that goes.

I also have no idea what else might be causing it, I had no updates of any kind (drivers, windows, programs etc) before it started happening.

I have been noticing very slight screen flickers happening too when opening/closing apps or tabs, which was not happening 2 weeks ago when it started, so hopefully a reinstall will solve it for me. I will post an update in a few days if its working or sooner if not.

0 Likes
Fastmikefree
Adept II

@Cmdr-ZiN 

Thanks for your advice! Can you please let me know on where to find that setting in the BIOS?

I cannot locate anything like "Power Supply Idle Control" on my Asus Dark Hero...

Thx

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Elite

Under Advanced, AMD CBS and then CPU Common options on mine I think.

Click on Advanced and look for AMD CBS and you should find it.

Fastmikefree
Adept II

Many thanks! Found it!  

0 Likes
shockblade
Adept I

Well, I did a full clean format and reinstall of windows, and installed only my graphics driver, and it reset again, the only difference is that normally it would just instantly reset, this time the screens went blank but the audio continued playing for a few seconds before the whole thing restarted..

Guess I'll send it back to where I bought it and get them to fix/replace whatever is wrong.. such a pain in the ass..

0 Likes
stardreamer77
Adept III

hi,
i just upgrade my old i7-3770k with Asus P8Z77V-Pro to MSI X570 Tomahawk wifi + Ryzen 7 3700x + Kingston Hyper X 16GB DDR4 3600 x2 ( HX436C17FB3K2/32 ). with other old hardware that i have is :
R9 Fury X
Corsair MP510 960GB
Asus Xonar D2X sound card
Razer Taipan mouse

Ducky keyboard.

seasonic X750 Gold PSU

Every thing seem fine , Game don't have any problem, but when i watching Youtube in Firefox and try to fast skipping the video, the system will restart with no BSOD , event i disable the auto restart when BSOD in system setting.

i check the Event Viewer, every time the system restart, i get WHEA Logger ID 18 with and Critical error Kernel Power Event ID 41

after 5 days of online search try many setting in bios. turn out the PROBLEM is Radeon latest WHQL 21.3.1 driver! so i roll back to the one i use on i7-3770k system "20.11.2 WHQL" now no problem when i fast skipping youtube video in firefox and no more system restart problem.

a graphic driver can cause system restart and WHEA Logger Event ID 18 error . so try other older version of graphic driver.

0 Likes
shockblade
Adept I

OK so I tried setting my PSU to 'typical' power instead of AUTO as per Cmdr-ZiM suggestion.. 3 days now and no resets or restarts.. the only thing that concerns me is that my PSU is NOT old, or even an older model.. I'm still convinced this is some kind of bullsh*t windows update that screwed me/us, but for now it seems to be working and stable. So Thank You very much for the tip, I would never have thought of it.
0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Elite

@shockblade your welcome glad I could help someone

I never would of thought of it either, AMD put me on to it. It was part of their standard troublehshooting at the top of their list. I'd already done everything else on their list myself but I never knew of the PSU thing.

Your PSU doesn't need to be that old, it just needs to not have the low power mode. I'm sure mine doesn't have it due to it's age but I don't know what spec you need to check on your PSU. I'm sure System Intergraters are aware of this but I've been out of the game a while.

I'll prolly upgrade my PSU at some point to get more effeciency but I'm in no rush.

0 Likes