cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted

Having random freeze reboots with Whea-logger event ID 18. No BSODs.

Hi Everyone. I am having WHEA-Logger Event ID 18 (By component: Processor core, Error Source: Machine Check Exception, Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error)

• Issue Description: For the past two days I have been having random freeze reboots sometimes while gaming, more specifically while playing red dead redemption 2 only. Not occured with other games so far, but I'm not sure if its a RDR2 problem. No overheating, stock CPU clocks and XMP Profile for RAM. Screenshot of the errors attached. Sometimes happens at idle/browsing or YouTube too. 
  • Hardware:
    • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x stock PBO Auto
    • GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 Super FE stock
    • Motherboard, X570 Aorus Ultra
    • RAM: G.skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3600mhz CL17 running XMP profile
    • PSU: Corsair RM750 2019
    • Display: LG 22MP68VQ 22 inch 1080p 75hz
    • Storage: 1x 250GB Crucial MX500 Sata SSD, 1x 1TB Crucial MX500 Sata SSD, 1x Seagate Barracuda HDD 2TB 5400RPM
  • Software: Latest Windows 10 Build, Latest BIOS update, all latest drivers up to date. 
  • Things I have tried and tested:
    • Running in full stock with PBO Off and XMP off. Still freezes and reboots along while gaming
    • Prime 95 Fatal error in core 13 & 14 on the first test itself at both stock no PBO/no XMP and PBO Auto and XMP. No freeze or reboot thought.  Other cores don't give any Prime95 errors. (screenshot attached)
    • Memtest 86 all 4 passes successful
    • OCCT Stability tests successful

Is this a hardware failure of some sort or just windows software/drivers issue? How do I identify what part is causing problems. I don't have any spare PC to test into. 

30 Replies
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: Having random freeze reboots with Whea-logger event ID 18. No BSODs.

Apparently this is happening a lot to people. Searching the web you will find lots of different fixes. However most the time on the ones I have seen where it is a ryzen cpu with a nvidia gpu the users report back saying it ended up being a cpu replacement that fixed it. That doesn't mean it is your issue. 

I found a couple good threads that have many people talking about the issue and what they have tried. Maybe it will help you. 

Your mother board support department can also be a good tool for helping isolate what they think the issue might be. 

Those thread links:

This reddit thread has many users involved where replacing the CPU seems to fix the issue. 

3800X random reboots with WHEA-Logger event ID 18 : AMDHelp 

another

Cache hierarchy error : AMDHelp 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Try the RAMs with 3200. Restart, freeze and WHEA errors have different causes. Your RAMs may be causing the freezing problem (and WHEA error). Obviously you are having a restart problem, if this problem is evident on the desktop, return the motherboard immediately. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes. I had seen many issues too over reddit as well. So should I RMA my CPU? Also is this causing the prime95 issues as well? I conctacted AMD Tech support and they too told me to RMA the CPU. Should I proceed or try to rule out any other part? I have done memtest and also OCCT Stability test. Memtest cleared with 4 passes with XMP On and OCCT Stability test of over an hour gave no errors. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

I think you have done all you can. While in general these issues can be caused by a host of different issues non cpu related. There has been what I would call an abnormal amount of these issues being caused by the cpus as of late. So if AMD is willing to RMA, I would let them. They likely would not offer if they too didn't think it is a good possibility it is the issue. So I would do it and go from there. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

i agree with mstfbsrn980 ... on ryzen oc ram over 3200 seem to raise this kind of issues (the restart without bsod , i was having the same problem with 4400 sticks only running at 3600 , the problem is not the sticks it's the oc applied to the system when going beyond 3200)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Which again is why it could point to a CPU issue. The memory controller is in the CPU. 

Again it is not really possible to know for sure what is causing the issue as it is such a vague error that many things can trigger it. 

I

Highlighted
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Yeah. For the first time, I fully agree with you.  goodday...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

ryzen recommanded ram speed : 3200 mhz ...  nothing more to say ... the rest is about overclocking and your understanding or not of overclocing

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

My suggestion is because I saw a WHEA error. Not more.

0 Kudos