Processors

liquidwater
Adept II

Kernal Power 41 errors initially but now WHEA 18 errors

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC2 ULTRA GAMING, 08G-P4-2187-KR

CPU: Ryzen 3700x [not overclocked]

Motherboard: ASUS TUF x570-PRO (wifi)

BIOS version: Beta Version 3801 (April 4, 2021 version) 

RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model BLS2K8G4D32AESEK

PSU: EEVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W (220-G3-0850-X1)

Case: Meshify C

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH U-12A 

Case fans: Two 120mm Noctua intake (front), one 120mm Noctua exhaust

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro (Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1023, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0)

GPU Drivers: GeForce 466.47 (release date 5/18/21)

Chipset Drivers: AMD Chipset Software 2.11.26.106

Hard Disk: 1. HP EX950 M.2 2280 2TB PCle Gen3 x4, NVMe1.3 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 5MS24AA#ABC
                     2. Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 1TB

Background Applications: Happens mainly when idling or using light load (browsing the web, youtube); rarely during games. 95% idle/no use, 5% when gaming.

Description of Original Problem: I built this computer in late 2019. Since I've built there, there almost always has been a little quirk or issue with either the games or Windows. I've already done a full reset back in 2019 to alleviate some of the problems with gaming. Originally, I thought there may have been issues since I had cloned my old computer's primary m2 drive (Samsung 860) to move to my current primary drive (HP 2TB). However, that resolved most of the issues. I did have system crashes to blue screen in the beginning, but that eventually went away.

This "original" problem for the random restarts probably began about 2-3 months ago, but have increased in severity over the past months. About a month later, my Dolby Atmos for Headphones spatial sound program started to act up (previously, it was working flawlessly), to where it would be randomly disabled when starting a game, or would cut out sound entirely.

In any case, I was having random restarts. Sometimes once a day, sometimes none, sometimes 5-6 times. 

Initially, they were Event ID 41 errors, possibly indicating a PSU issue. I had the PSU RMA'd and am now using the replacement (same model, but certified by EVGA to work). However, the issue persisted somewhat (I would say a reduction in random restarts by about 50%). 

After the new PSU was installed and I kept having issues, I reduced my RAM speed from 3600 to 3200. This RAM was initially tested when I bought it when memtest pro and passed with an overnight test. 

I then read about some people having issues with the BIOS so I updated to the beta version of the BIOS. This also helped reduce the frequency of the restarts, but it's still present. 

Today, I've started to notice very slight and infrequent stuttering (0.5-1 second) in dota, as well. Not sure if this had to do with my GSYNC control panel change from max FPS from 140 to 143, and then back down to 140 in efforts to fix it (I think it may have, but not 100% sure). 

Troubleshooting: I've updated the BIOS to the most recent beta version. I've RMA'd the PSU. I've also changed the "Global C State Control" from "Auto" to "Disabled," according to this thread: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/whea-logger-event-id-18/td-p/266186/page/15. I haven't reset Windows 10 recently, but am willing to do that if necessary. 

I do have System Logs saved, but not sure of a non-Google Drive or non-Onedrive place to upload them to share, if necessary. 

This is the current error code:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 10

The details view of this entry contains further information.

0 Likes
0 Replies