cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

uid65534
Adept I

Ryzen Master crashes when applying anything

Ryzen Master is unusable for me because applying _absolutely anything_ results in an instant system freeze.

Note that this isn't OC related. Clicking 'reset' causes the system freeze as well. This system is otherwise entirely stable and passes ycruncher via corecycler and memtests with no issues.

I have already tried reinstalling the application to no avail. The logs folder contains a single header line and nothing else. The event viewer is blank as well, it is a hard freeze with nothing else getting written to disk.

Are there any known issues that match this or at least a way to report bugs in this software? All I want to do is set PBO offsets from within windows for a faster turnaround when testing them.

• Ryzen Master 2.13.1.3097
  • Windows 11 10.0.22631.3880
  • 7950X
  • ECC Memory (yes, multi-bit ecc, not on-die)
  • Asus X690E ProArt @ 2124 @ ComboAM5PI 1.2.0.0a
21 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

uid65534, please go here and use the AMD utilities to remove Ryzen Master (RM). Then install a fresh copy of RM from here. Post a screenshot of RM before you apply a change, then apply and tell us what happens. Please post all your parts (PS, cooler, etc) and tell us what "not on-die" means. Does your system recover from the freeze? How do you recover if it does not? What Logs folder and post what is in it. Filter your Event Viewer for Critical errors and post screenshots of the Basic tab for a few. I am aware of no issues that resemble yours. John.

0 Likes

By "use the AMD utilities to remove Ryzen Master" I assume you were referring to the "AMD Cleanup Utility". That utility does not remove Ryzen Master, it only removes graphics drivers and catalyst control center type software from what I can tell. RM was still installed and worked fine after running that cleanup utility.

I manually reinstalled the software (again) with no change in behavior. The freeze is immediate and does not recover. Rebooting via the reset button or unplugging the desktop is the only recovery route.

`C:\Program Files\AMD\RyzenMaster\logs` has one file, `Jul 26,2024(17_55_03).txt`, which contains one line, `Date and Time;User Action;Profile ID;Profile Name;Temperature;Core Speed;Cores Parked;CCD Parked;Peak Core(s) Voltage;MEM VDDIO;VDDCR SOC;CLDO VDDP;CLDO VDDG CCD;CLDO VDDG IOD;MEM VPP;Simultaneous Multithreading;Legacy Compatibility Mode;I/O Clock;Max Temperature;U Clock Mode;Eco-Mode;Default;Precision Boost Overdrive;Auto Overclocking;Manual;PPT(PBO);TDC(PBO);EDC(PBO);;;PPT(Auto OC);TDC(Auto OC);EDC(Auto OC);PBO Scalar;Boost Override CPU;Memory Clock;Fabric Clock;CAS Latency;Row Precharge Delay;Row Cycle Time;RAS Active Time;Trfc;Trfc2;Tfaw;TrrdS;TrrdL;Twr;TwtrS;TwtrL;Trtp;TrdrdSc;TrdrdScL;TrdrdSd;TrdrdDd;TwrwrSc;TwrwrScL;TwrwrSd;TwrwrDd;Trdwr;Twrrd;CPU On-Die Termination;RttWr;RttPark;AddrCmdDrvStren;Trcd;TrfcSb;RttNomWr;RttNomRd;RttParkDqs;DRAMDataDriveStrength;APU VDDIO;PROCDataDriveStrength;VDDQ;EXPO Mode;EXPO Profile;VDD MISC;Enabled Components;`

I believe that this file is what is supposed to have more lines written to it when using the curve optimizer for crash recovery.

The Event Viewer is likewise empty, the only events occur from recognizing the unexpected shutdown on the next boot. Like I said, this is a hard freeze with nothing that writes to disk after the freeze occurs. There are no events prior to this critical that correspond to the system before the next boot. No kernel memory dumps, nothing:

mmc_KcXaooywEH.png

Every event here corresponds to a freeze caused by Ryzen Master.

There are many ways that this has a stable replication for me:

• Click "Reset" => Freeze
  • Click "Apply" (with anything, including _positive_ PBO offsets) => Freeze
  • Settings => Change "Write PBO to BIOS" or "Write CO offset to BIOS" => Click OK or Apply (in settings menu) => Freeze

All of the above occur regardless of current CPU settings, though the following screenshot shows -19 all core because I am testing some offsets manually set in the UEFI right now. The exact same behavior occurs when running completely at stock. Note that I have configured nothing in Ryzen Master in the following screenshots, this is a fresh install.

AMD_Ryzen_Master_VKdkpC0wFJ.pngAMD_Ryzen_Master_Q0XGAdlyG6.png

Here is the parts list, though things like the cooler have absolutely no bearing on an issue such as this one:

• Ryzen Master 2.13.1.3097
  • Windows 11 10.0.22631.3880
  • 7950X
  • ECC Memory (yes, multi-bit ecc, not on-die) (not on-die meaning it is actually ECC RAM, not what manufacturers like to lie about as DDR5 has chip-internal ECC lines as part of the spec without expanding the memory bus another 8 bits for CPU-side correction on most consumer modules. `wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection` is 6.).
  • Asus X690E ProArt @ 2124 @ ComboAM5PI 1.2.0.0a
  • CPU on custom water loop. No thermal issues. Idle temps are medium because I run the loop at ~45C before turning on fans to keep it quiet.
  • 750W Seasonic TX Prime
  • Gigabyte RTX 4090
  • Mellanox CX-6
  • Several NVMe drives

I did a quick search and found one instance of someone with similar issues in recent months:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/u6kocb/hitting_ok_on_ryzen_master_freezes_my_whole/l6x5131...
(the comment, not the thread)

0 Likes

athanks, uid65534. Sorry I needed to see the "Details" tab. Please do a Clear CMOS this time and post a few (3 or 4) after the Clear. How much memory do you have? Gigabyte recommends a 1000 Watt power supply for their video card. Looks like 750 Watts is not enough.  Thanks, John.

0 Likes

PSU size has nothing to do with this. The recommendation for 1kW is because of crappy suppliers that can't handle transients on the 12V rail.

This is pretty clearly a software bug, whether it is in Ryzen Master or a specific interaction with my board is unknown.

I can't run this on a stock clear because AMD's memory training is a buggy mess that results in BSODs on boot. Regardless, the issue persists with PBO disabled and with the SOC/VDDP/etc at stock. It works fine with the timings I have set.

Regardless, for anyone else that comes across this thread I just started using PBO2 Tuner instead which actually works. I won't be wasting any more time with RM and it's pretty clear why most people avoid it now...

uid65534, with the Details tab and answers to my questions I may be able to determine the problem which is very unlikely to be a software bug. John.

0 Likes

If you are able to program your processor via BIOS Settings then the issue is Ryzen Master.

Also I would update your Mobo BIOS to the latest version since RM and BIOS seems to interact with each other.

Possible there is a conflict between Ryzen Master and a 3rd party driver.

Does Device Manger show any errors after install Ryzen Master?

You can try to enter a Window's Clean Desktop (Similar to Windows Safe Mode but while running Windows) then make sure that Ryzen Master Driver is enabled and see if the same issue occurs: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

If it doesn't that would indicate a 3rd party driver that was disabled is in conflict with Ryzen Master. You then can try enabling and by method of elimination determine which 3rd party app is causing your problems.

Since it crashes as soon as you apply any changes to RM I would try using MS troubleshooting driver Windows feature  "Driver Verifier" : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/driver-verifier

This feature will troubleshoot and show any driver(s) responsible for any Windows crashes.

You can also open a AMD SUPPORT ticket and see what they suggest: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Note: Since you are using ECC RAM Memory I am wondering if that might be the cause. Maybe when you try to program RM,  ECC Memory sees something abnormal and freeze the PC.

0 Likes

Extremely frustrating...!

I am having exactly the same problem with Ryzen Master. As soon as i hit Apply, PC freezes.

Literally cannot perform a single task on it, only view...

I have tried having a completely default BIOS, no change. 

Watching all the YouTube videos of people guiding viewers through the process, seeing them make live changes and seeing live results of those changes would be amazing but instead, my PC just freezes upon hitting Apply.

I have disabled all  startup apps as suggested by a few of the video authors.

I can make any changes i like in BIOS with complete stability running a range of benchmarks.

What is going on..?

There must be a setting that is creating this...

System:

AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d (Delidded).

Asus ROG Crosshair x670e Hero

Asus ROG Ryujin III ARGB 360 CPU Cooler

Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum PSU

Asus TUF Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24Gb OC

G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 CL30 2x32Gb AMD Expo

Crucial T700 4Tb PCIe5 Gen5

Crucial T700 2Tb PCIe5 Gen5

Windows 11 Pro

*All Software is up-to-date with the latest versions and updates.

*All firmware is the latest including Motherboard BIOS.

*CPU installed with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal.

*CPU runs at 28-32 degrees celcius at idle and at 45-50 degrees celcius under load.

*Have run successfully at negative 35 All Core Curve Optimiser. Now running at 

-10, -35, -15, -35, -35, -35, -35, -35 Per Core Curve Optimiser.

*Have had all sorts of successful BIOS settings including DRAM custom timings but have just got very basic settings at the moment trying to resolve Ryzen Master issues.

Any help would be much appreciated.

since you are the second User with the exact same severe symptom using Ryzen Master I suggest your open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket and let them know from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Both of you are using Asus Motherboards so it is possible Asus BIOS may not be compatible with the latest Ryzen Master.

I would also open a Asus Support Ticket and let them know that 2 Users are having severe symptom using Ryzen Master.

I have created an AMD SUPPORT Ticket. Thanks.

iCraNk_, what does this mean:

"AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d (Delidded)."

Have you removed the lid of your processor? Open Event Viewer and filter by Critical. Please post the DETAILS tab of a few errors. See above for example. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Yes John, I have removed the lid of my processor. Making what they call a direct die. As in the cpu cooler has direct contact to the chiplets.

Thermal Grizzly make a delidding tool to remove it.

- Thermal Grizzly Ryzen 7000 Delid-Die-Mate.

Also needed is a new cpu mounting frame. It is thinner to account for the cpu being thinner having the top taken off.

- Thermal Grizzly Ryzen 7000 Direct Die Frame V2.

it is a very simple process with these tools. The idle temperature has barely changed but the temperature under load has decreased by 10-15 degrees celcius.

I get the same system log entries so it seems...

iCraNk__3-1722191782259.png

iCraNk__4-1722191927813.pngiCraNk__5-1722191947873.png

0 Likes

Thanks, iCraNk_, you are very brave to delid your processor, voiding your warranty, I assume. I need to see the Details tab. The lower image has both a General and a Details tab. Please click the Details, copy and paste the content here. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

As you can see another User also using a Asus Motherboard has the same severe symptom as you do.

I would open a ASUS Support ticket and let them know that possibly their BIOS is not compatible with Ryzen Master.

For some reason it worked fine for a bit, then even default settings cause a freeze. Must be an ASUS UEFI bug.

galacticaphantom
Journeyman III

Same issue here. Asus b650 creator. I think that the latest bios (agesa 1.2a) has something wrong with it. It didn't happen before (older bios).

P.S.: I saved my bios profile to load it when the bios update was done and it said that the settings cannot be loaded because it was an unsopported cpu.

Please all you users with this problem, talk to your MB vendor. Thanks, John.

0 Likes
jsandford27
Journeyman III

I had the exact same issue after updating my BIOS to the latest build and have created a support ticket on ASUS site.

My board is an ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-Plus WiFi with BIOS v3014

Bhammer
Journeyman III

I have the same issue. i don't know what happened really. 

mine is ROG strix B650E-E. it was fully fine until i updated my bios to the latest version. Well maybe. I did not use RM for like 5 months already and now  RM suddenly freezes when i try to adjust timings and voltage. I've tried everything (Uninstall and Reinstall RM) but nothing works. 

Bhammer, either uninstall Ryzen Master (RM) or go back to a stable BIOS. John.

0 Likes
jsandford27
Journeyman III

I heard back from ASUS and their only suggestion was to rollback the BIOS to the previous version.  I did this and now Ryzen Master is operating as normal again......well for now at least

Thanks, jsandford27. This seems to be a ASUS only problem. They should fix their BIOS. John.

0 Likes