Hello everybody,

Yesterday, I finished my new build featuring the Ryzen 7 3700x, it contains:

Ryzen 7 3700X

MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4

16 GB DDR4 Tridenz Z RGB 3200 Mhz CL16

Fresh Copy of Windows 10

Fractal Design Meshify C with 2 intakes 1 exhaust

Now, after some testing around and monitoring the statistics I found the following:

When enabling PBO in the Bios, the voltage likes to spike up to 1.5V, so I set an offset of -.1v, now it does not exceed 1.4v.

Furthermore, I have enabled auto-oc, but I have not adjusted any settings, just set everything to "enabled".

When doing a stresstest, Aida64 for example, all cores go up to around 4.1, 4.2 Ghz with just under 1.4 Volts.

My main problem now are the temperatures.

When stresstesting, it goes well above 70 C, sometimes it spikes even in the 80s.

From all the reviews that I have read, noone had such high temps.

I have not adjusted any settings in Ryzen Master because I have not had the time to learn the software.

If there are any tweaks that I could do to improve things, I will do my best to try them!

Reseating the cooler will be the first thing that I will do, but I doubt that this will change anything at all...

Thank you for your help!

80 Replies
misterj
Exemplar
Exemplar

Re: Ryzen 7 3700X high temperatures

cheezeartz, so far you have shown no evidence of high temperatures.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Make sure Temperatures are Enabled on the RM Settings page.  It will show us what the maximum temps are.  I would suggest NOT re-seating the cooler unless and until you identify a overheating problem.  All Ryzens do a good job of protecting the processor from damage by lowering clocks and voltages.  I would also suggest you do a Clear CMOS using instructions in your User Manual and do not set any OC manually or using any OC software until we see what is happening.  Thanks and enjoy, John. 

zendal
Adept I
Adept I

Taichi x370
3700X
-0.1v offset
Corsair Hydro H100i V2

Everything else Auto

Idles at 40-50 degrees with 21 degrees ambient temps. Pretty hot for my setup, I think. There is plenty of airflow in my case and fans in idle are at around 50%.

0 Kudos
cheezeartz
Adept I
Adept I

I am currently busy with work, I will deliver the screenshots as soon as possible.

Before I screenshot everything I will do as you said and reset the bios

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar
Exemplar

zendal, please open a new thread and post a screenshot of RM, do a Clear CMOS and stop messing around in BIOS.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
cheezeartz
Adept I
Adept I

I have now attached a screenshot of Ryzen Master, if you need anything else, tehll me please.pastedImage_1.png 

misterj
Exemplar
Exemplar

Thanks, cheezeartz.  Looks OK to me except I am surprised that the temperature display turned Yellow at Only 86.5C when 95C is the limit.  I suspect a bug in RM and will ask AMD if I have an opportunity.  I will ask you to open an Online Support Request and give them the RM screenshot.  In the future please do not paste other images over the RM shot.  I have asked AMD about the Specifications for the 3600X and 3700X.  I suspect there is some mix up - take a look if you have an extra minute (no such thing, right?)  Bottom line, your temperatures are fine.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
cheezeartz
Adept I
Adept I

Thanl you very much for taking the time to look into this.

The temperatures may be within spec, but I thought that my Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 should cool better... oh well.

Anyways, is there something else I could try? I currently have MSI's beta BIOS on my X470 Gaming Pro Carbon, if that helps.

Anyways, I will open a support ticket.

0 Kudos
misterj
Exemplar
Exemplar

cheezeartz, you can lower the temperatures by changing the Power Plan.  If you are running 1809, changing to MS's version of Balanced Power Plan will work wonders.  When you go to 1903, temperatures will go back up because MS made the Balanced plan more aggressive in 1903.  In reality, power plan will just reduce the maximum frequency of your CPU.  The culprit here is AMD changed the way temperature was measured and reported.  They made it much worse by not preparing the buyers.  These "higher" temperatures are really not any higher than older systems - internal temperatures are about the same.  Silicon has not changed and it is a fact that deep inside temperatures can be well over 100C and not cause a problem.  Military specifications (some years ago) required silicon transistors to operate at 125C and I used to test there.  Enjoy, John.

cheezeartz
Adept I
Adept I

Hey MisterJ,

I am currently running 1903 with the Ryzen Balanced plan because a lot of people recommended that, is that correct?

However, I encountered a whole other issue... my CPU is not throttling / lowering the voltage during idle, I am always above 1.4 volts.

I am reading the voltages through RM / CPU-Z (only one at a time) and they both report that the CPU is running constantly...

0 Kudos