cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Vanix
Adept I

Ryzen 5 5600G - Warranty related *BIOS*

Hello everyone, i hope you are doing great today! 

So let me get straight to the point and tell you about my story. one day (i wish it never happened) i decided to update my BIOS on B450M DS3H because i played few games that it kept crashing (like valorant, csgo, gta v and etc..) so i thought updating bios would fix this issue so i went ahead on youtube and searched for how to update bios on b450m ds3h then i watched the video (i didnt check the date) so i updated the bios to the wrong version (OLDER VERSION) and my PC did not POST. my fans kept spinning with rgb lights on and my ram rgb was also on but I werent able to go to bios neither windows, it was just a blank screen. so i went to a pc shop to repair the bios (my mb) then he returned the bios as it was by adding an older ryzen APU for example; the ryzen 3 3600g version on the motherboard so the PC can post and it actually did, it opened and he then went to the official gigabyte site and downloaded the latest bios version and then he updated the bios. now he replaced back the APU (Ryzen 5 5600G) into the motherboard and booted the PC and it didnt POST. He said the problem is on the APU itself althought the pins arent broken and etc.. so he asked me if i have the box and warranty, i said yes and then he took it and said he will give it to AMD Warranty to check it so my question is now, Does it void warranty? did updating bios bricked my APU? and do you think I can have a new one? The APU was working fine it was only crashing. but it didnt work after unbricking my motherboard and updating bios back. Now my APU doesn't function.

Thank you and im sorry if i made it long for you, i just tried to be very detailed. thank you once again

0 Likes
1 Solution

As far as I am aware the only persons that can replace your AMD Processor is the Retailer/Vendor if they have a Warranty or Return Date still active or you personally.

I don't know if AMD will accept the PC Repair shop RMA for a new processor or not. But the Warranty is strictly for the Original Owner or Purchaser with a valid Retailer's Receipt with Date of Purchase and is Non-Transferable.

I imagine AMD can tell if the processor was damaged due to a short in the Motherboard, as an example only, but most likely AMD will check and replace your AMD processor under Warranty.

To open a AMD Warranty you need to open a AMD Account and then fill out the Warranty form from here: https://www.amd.com/en/registration/warranty-services-portal.html

Screenshot 2023-02-17 104719.png

When you log in to your new AMD Account and you don't see the Warranty Request then Input Warranty Request under "Search" and follow the trail. It will then open your Warranty Request Form in your account.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

The only person that can RMA you AMD Processor is you, the original owner with a official Retailer's receipt.

AMD Warranty is covered if the processor itself is defective or goes bad. But if the Motherboard damaged the Processor and AMD is able to prove this then it is a good chance the Warranty would be voided.

Here is AMD Warranty for a AMD Processor: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03

Screenshot 2023-02-13 103448.png

It would be the same as though you overclocked your processor and it got damaged. That is why overclocking will void your AMD Warranty.

The only thing I could suggest is open a AMD Warranty and see what they say or if they will replace it if it is defective.

Hello and thank you for the fast response i appreciate it!

Well im actually abit sad about it, he asked me for the purchase and warranty receipt and i give it to him and he said he wull get in touch with me in 15 days or something so ye, can they really know if motherboard damaged the processor? i never overclocked it it was working pretty fine for almost 1 month before i update bios and it goes wrong, now its no longer functioning although the pc repair shop reupdated ths correct bios version. Do you mean that i cant replace it since it voided the warranty?  And how do i open an Amd warranty?

thank you in advance!

0 Likes

As far as I am aware the only persons that can replace your AMD Processor is the Retailer/Vendor if they have a Warranty or Return Date still active or you personally.

I don't know if AMD will accept the PC Repair shop RMA for a new processor or not. But the Warranty is strictly for the Original Owner or Purchaser with a valid Retailer's Receipt with Date of Purchase and is Non-Transferable.

I imagine AMD can tell if the processor was damaged due to a short in the Motherboard, as an example only, but most likely AMD will check and replace your AMD processor under Warranty.

To open a AMD Warranty you need to open a AMD Account and then fill out the Warranty form from here: https://www.amd.com/en/registration/warranty-services-portal.html

Screenshot 2023-02-17 104719.png

When you log in to your new AMD Account and you don't see the Warranty Request then Input Warranty Request under "Search" and follow the trail. It will then open your Warranty Request Form in your account.

Thank you for your help! Yes, i had a warranty from the PC shop which i bought it from for a year i guess, but i hope i can get a new one from them! because it didn't last long only about a 1 month and half (i really do, even if im going to pay a small amount of money) but once again, thanks for your help. appreciate it alot

Great, Just For Your Information Only, The AMD Warranty doesn't take effect until the Retailer's Warranty expires first.

So basically if the pc shop where i bought the apu from it declined the warranty and didn't replace it, ill have to open an amd warranty through the website? and how long does it take? i mean i never seen an amd company in my country so im the one who is supposed to ship it for them? thank you again

0 Likes

First for your AMD Processor to have a AMD Warranty the Processor must have come in a sealed Official AMD Retail Box. If the PC Shop gave you the AMD processor in a different Non-AMD box than it doesn't have a AMD Warranty on it.

This is how to tell if you have an official AMD Retail box or not: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/pib-authenticity

The PC Shop is the one that gives you a Warranty not AMD. If the PC Shop purchased its processors from a Distributor of AMD then the Distributor is the one that has a Warranty with the PC Shop.

But if for some reason the PC Shop doesn't replace your processor if it is bad than you can try and open a AMD Warranty Request unless it didn't come in a Official AMD Retail box.

Not sure if AMD pays for the shipping cost to send the processor to them or not. According to the Warranty the Owner needs to pay for shipping the processor back to AMD when it is RMAed.  But I have read from other Users that AMD sends Prepaid labels to ship the product back to them.

How long it takes is anyone's guess especially if you live in a Foreign country. AMD will give you all the details via email once you start the RMA process.

Thank you again, yes it came with an amd box. I just hope that the pc shop where i bought the apu from it replaces it with a new one and i really hope that it wasnt damaged due to the motherboard bios update.

to tell you the truth, generally, in my opinion, when a Motherboard goes bad it doesn't damage the CPU unless the Motherboard suffered a major short or overheating issue.

So most likely the CPU is good but the Motherboard might be bad. The PC Shop should know unless they themselves damaged your CPU while checking it out.

Anyway keep me up to date on happens with the PC Shop and your PC.

Yeah hopefully! ill keep you updated, and you don't know how much i appreciate your help and kindness to me! thank you so much!