cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Gyuriii08
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600X Stuck at 0.53GHz with PROCHOT EXT Flag - Fine in Safe Mode

When I start my computer, the CPU is stuck at 0.53GHz and gets flagged with PROCHOT EXT. Oddly enough, when I boot into safe mode, the CPU runs normally at 4.2GHz.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Reset GPU drivers

Reset BIOS to default settings

Unfortunately, these steps haven't resolved the issue. 

At the moment, I am trying to reset my PC. Has anyone experienced something similar or have any ideas on what might be causing this? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X

GPU: RX 6700XT

Motherboard: ASROCK B450M Steel Legends

NVME: KINGSTON 1TB (OS INSTALLED)

SSD: 128GB KINGSTON

HDD: 1TB WD

RAM: 16X2GB GSKILL

0 Likes
2 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

With that said, it makes me think more like software than hardware.

@Gyuriii08 wrote:

When I start my computer, the CPU is stuck at 0.53GHz and gets flagged with PROCHOT EXT. Oddly enough, when I boot into safe mode, the CPU runs normally at 4.2GHz.

I would also Clear CMOS and power cycle the computer. Turn it completely off (from the grid too) let it be for 5 minutes and power on again. 

If you are going to try it, resetting can be helpful or even a fresh windows install. New OS free of vice.

@Gyuriii08 wrote:

Has anyone experienced something similar or have any ideas on what might be causing this? 

Seen it a lot, but there could be several culprits, I even found a laptop with a bad USB port causing severe throttling.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Gyuriii08, please uninstall any and all applications that promise to improve performance, especially those from your MB vendor. John.

0 Likes