cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Axton
Challenger

Regarding Sinkclose bug and x570 bios

Might be tough to create a thread on this and keep it organized so this is for x570 boards. More specifically the Asrock brand.

I'm trying to know if the fixed bios for this bug is out already or not yet. Asrock is showing a bios from February this year that almost agrees with the bug fix from AMD:

Axton_0-1723740065251.png

Axton_2-1723740133112.png

Would like some confirmation that the 5.61 bios is the fix or not. 

Thanks!

https://www.amd.com/en/resources/product-security/bulletin/amd-sb-7014.html 

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Axton, ask your MB vendor. Looks like to me they issued 1.2.0C and you need 1.2.0cb. Ask them. John.

Yes that seems to be the patch from AMD to fix the newest flaw according to AMD SUPPORT page on when each processor will be fixed: https://www.amd.com/en/resources/product-security/bulletin/amd-sb-7014.html

Screenshot 2024-08-15 141512.png

EDIT: Didn't see or missed the image showing the ASRock BIOS Version your posted. I mistook the large image as coming from your ASRock BIOS download page.

The ASRock BIOS version you uploaded came out on 02/26/2024 but it doesn't mention about fixing the recent Security Flaw even though it came out one day before the article's BIOS Release date for the Desktop 5000 Series processors which is 02/27/2024.

So most likely the next ASRock BIOS update will include the correct fix and it should mention it specifically unlike the one you posted.

I thought AMD was keeping this quiet until they had a fix in place, so board makers could release updated patches by the time this was made public?  In that case some already released bios's might actually have the fix(?)

Generally for a processor flaw like Sink Close most Motherboard Manufacturers will mention on the BIOS version download page that the version includes the fix for the flaw.

Like they did for the other 2 major AMD processor flaws the new BIOS that came out mentioned specifically to address those previous flaws on the manufacturer's BIOS download page.

NOTE: According to the above graph on my previous reply and your previous posted link the fix suppose to come out on 07/30/2024 for the Vermeer 5000 series Desktop processors.

But I wouldn't worry about it unless you are using your PC for company business. Also AMD stated it is very difficult for a hacker to actually use the processor flaw.

0 Likes