cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fatehasfans
Adept I

For all those people whose 5950X are running hot, try this...

When I put my rig together, Ryzen 5950X + Meg Ace Max + 6900XT I housed it all neatly inside a Lian Li Evo OD11 case and made sure all my hardware bits n pieces would blend RBG-beautifully together.

My 5950X was cooled by a Fractal Lumen S36 and I decided to go with an additional 6 intake fans and an exhaust. When I put it all together and finally got all the various softwares working together it was stunning, absolutely stunning. 

Now, sadly this is where the fairy-tale ended...

The moment I loaded into windows (all stock bios settings) the fans kicked in hard. So I put this down to the various RBG programs starting up and settling. 

The problem was the fans would blow up at the slightest thing. I would move my mouse and they'd all go crazy. Well, I didn't think anything of it until a friend said I should maybe check my temps as the fans are blowing hard, way hard! 

This is when I realized my processor was running 50-70 idle and 90 about 20 seconds into ANY game. It was really strange. Everything was at stock value. So I did some reading and came across various opinions, many said this was ok so you know I stuck with it but it didn't sit well with me looking at the RED WRITING "92+ DEGREES" in the corner of my gaming window merely seconds into any game but, given the fact my computer never shut down, I kept with it. 

Then I did some further digging. Some motherboards come with certain options turned auto/off/ default/etc and these can mean various things. Some of the options include PBO and CPB etc .. you all probably know the first one but the second can be named differently, on my Ace Max it means CPU Performance Boost and by default it's set to Auto. 

Well, by using Jay2cents videos about these options I decided to go through them all one by one switching through their various settings to see if anything changed. 

The moment I changed CPB from auto to off I'm back to 40 degrees. I narrowed it down to that one setting. Problem was my temps were still ramping up pretty quickly but overall things looked much better. Now, this didn't really sit with me as a professional technician that I know told me that this shouldn't happen and that my PC should run fine at all stock settings. So I was determined to see if I could find a way to have everything at default in bios with good results but nothing was happening. But you know the temp changes just didn't make sense. 

I was in the process of RMA'ing the chip but I had also order more fans for cooling - I had planned to add another 3 to aid cooling as recommended by a guy in the PC shop I visited. In my mind I didn't think it would solve the problem but it was worth a shot. 

Anyway, as I was preparing the case for the new fans I decided to try something. I disconnected all the RBG cables and ALL unnecessary fans (as my case was completely open - all panels removed), so all that connected was my AIO radiators and guess what? 40 degrees idle 70-80 on max load!!!!

So I let it run for a while, did some various tests and it was all fine. Next step was to begin to add some of the case fans (intake and exhaust) but I didn't plug them into the Lian Li controller box, no, I disconnected that completely and removed it. So all fans were plugged directly into the mobo 'sysfan' headers. 

I can now gladly report that I am now idling at 35-30 degrees and 70 max loads. 

TLDR - Disconnect your RBG, do not use any controllers and plug all your additional fans directly into the sysfan headers on your motherboard.

This is what solved my problem maybe will will help you too!

Thanks.

5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

fatehasfans, what is the setting CPB (or CBP) and where is it found?  Ryzen Master latest Reference Guide does not seem to know about it. Thanks, John.

Hi there,

On my board (MSI Ace Max S) its' called Core Performance Boost (CPB) it's in the overclocking section. When I had it on default (with all my RGB setup) which is set to auto I would idle at 50-70+ with temps blowing all over the place the moment I did anything and as I mentioned I would hit 90+ very quickly into any game - these temps would even stay in bios when I reset. 

The moment I turned that off boom 40 degrees or so idle and around 80 max but it never sat with me that I had to turn things off, as I said in my post a PC expert said everything should run fine out of the box so that's what I was hoping the achieve, and so far since removing all my (what I now feel is unnecessary bloat and basically increasing the potential for conflict) RGB stuff (radiator fans, case, case fans CPU block etc etc) - basically anything that was connected to a controller box. I removed all RBG and plugged any additional fans directly to the sysfan headers. Now, I'm sitting at 30ish degrees idle and 70-80 max - with all bios settings on default (so CPB back to auto), which is what I wanted to achieve. My score on Cinebench went from 8100 to 9400. Essentially it saved me an RMA on the chip which feels great because I hate the idea of sending something back (carbon footprint etc) especially if I'm not sure it's broken. 

But like I said, this is what worked for me there's so many things that can cause this stuff but if you're banging your head and haven't tried you might want to. 

Good luck!

0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

Now this is interesting. makes me want to look into my own setup and see if I can replicate it on another chip

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
0 Likes
APmech
Adept II

Another thing to remember with MSI motherboards is that when you setup your system fan curves in the bios, you need to make sure that the system fans temp source is set to system and not the cpu (it's cpu by default).  If it's set to cpu for the temp source your sys fans will spool up every time your cpu temps spike.

0 Likes
Nugentes
Journeyman III

@fatehasfans wrote:

When I put my rig together, Ryzen 5950X + Meg Ace Max + 6900XT I housed it all neatly inside a Lian Li Evo OD11 case and made sure all my hardware bits n pieces would blend RBG-beautifully together. 

BayCare Patient Portal Login

My 5950X was cooled by a Fractal Lumen S36 and I decided to go with an additional 6 intake fans and an exhaust. When I put it all together and finally got all the various softwares working together it was stunning, absolutely stunning. 

Now, sadly this is where the fairy-tale ended...

The moment I loaded into windows (all stock bios settings) the fans kicked in hard. So I put this down to the various RBG programs starting up and settling. 

The problem was the fans would blow up at the slightest thing. I would move my mouse and they'd all go crazy. Well, I didn't think anything of it until a friend said I should maybe check my temps as the fans are blowing hard, way hard! 

This is when I realized my processor was running 50-70 idle and 90 about 20 seconds into ANY game. It was really strange. Everything was at stock value. So I did some reading and came across various opinions, many said this was ok so you know I stuck with it but it didn't sit well with me looking at the RED WRITING "92+ DEGREES" in the corner of my gaming window merely seconds into any game but, given the fact my computer never shut down, I kept with it. 

Then I did some further digging. Some motherboards come with certain options turned auto/off/ default/etc and these can mean various things. Some of the options include PBO and CPB etc .. you all probably know the first one but the second can be named differently, on my Ace Max it means CPU Performance Boost and by default it's set to Auto. 

Well, by using Jay2cents videos about these options I decided to go through them all one by one switching through their various settings to see if anything changed. 

The moment I changed CPB from auto to off I'm back to 40 degrees. I narrowed it down to that one setting. Problem was my temps were still ramping up pretty quickly but overall things looked much better. Now, this didn't really sit with me as a professional technician that I know told me that this shouldn't happen and that my PC should run fine at all stock settings. So I was determined to see if I could find a way to have everything at default in bios with good results but nothing was happening. But you know the temp changes just didn't make sense. 

I was in the process of RMA'ing the chip but I had also order more fans for cooling - I had planned to add another 3 to aid cooling as recommended by a guy in the PC shop I visited. In my mind I didn't think it would solve the problem but it was worth a shot. 

Anyway, as I was preparing the case for the new fans I decided to try something. I disconnected all the RBG cables and ALL unnecessary fans (as my case was completely open - all panels removed), so all that connected was my AIO radiators and guess what? 40 degrees idle 70-80 on max load!!!!

So I let it run for a while, did some various tests and it was all fine. Next step was to begin to add some of the case fans (intake and exhaust) but I didn't plug them into the Lian Li controller box, no, I disconnected that completely and removed it. So all fans were plugged directly into the mobo 'sysfan' headers. 

I can now gladly report that I am now idling at 35-30 degrees and 70 max loads. 

TLDR - Disconnect your RBG, do not use any controllers and plug all your additional fans directly into the sysfan headers on your motherboard.

This is what solved my problem maybe will will help you too!

Thanks.

That is the thing that I was searching for, what a data present here at this site, thank you administrator.

0 Likes