Xairo
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5950x does not boost to 4.9ghz

Hey,

my hardware:

• Ryzen 5950x
  • ASUS Pro WS 565-ACE
  • Windows Server 2019

Im running a Gameserver that is using 2(1.5) cores.

The CPU does only boost to 4.5-4.6 ghz.

Its Not hitting the limits.

The Powerplan is set to High Performance.

Any ideas how to force the cpu to boost to 4.9ghz?

i tried this at Home with the same cpu but another mainboard and the cpu did boost to 4.9ghz 100% of the time.

78cdeeff91cbc0cd242a9b12ad4e3d67

7c72ec3eca64e3f9949534de8c8c4110

0 Likes
13 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Xairo, please use only Ryzen Master (RM) and not these free utilities and post a screenshot and tell us a lot more about your system like cooler, etc.  What is your ambient temperature? See the specifications by AMD:

5950MaxBoost.jpg

Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

i can't. Its Windows Server.

0 Likes

Thanks, Xairo. I learned something. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Looks like it don't need to boost that much or workload isn't memory bound (only way to get high boost is frequent but easy workload, AVX2 for example is anything but easy workload).

Also you showed everyone current nominal frequency. Check Effective clocks, they are probably even lower.
Also i can mention that you have 4975 mhz on first core. So CPU definitely can boost to this frequency. If it needs to. And if power management allows boost without load penalties

UPD: Just reread post and... You tried same workload with same CPU on other MB and it got to 4.9? Hmm... Broken power management maybe? Check BIOS settings, maybe reset it. Update BIOS may help. 

0 Likes

BIOS is on default settings i think (can't go into BIOS to verify)

it did work on my other pc on stock power management .

yep Effective clocks is lower.

b6c5d44d6200f5e3427ad5c47d358936

what values are the real ones?

can't try the CPU on the other mainboard since i don't have hardware access to the server.

0 Likes

Well, basically Core clock is bus speed * multiplier. 
And Core effective clock is actual clock which this core works on at this moment. So they both are real, but one is more of a current nominal speed, and another is speed it does work on (power consumption is a thing). At high load one is almost equal to another (difference is between 0.2 and 30 mHz or so

Xairo
Journeyman III

I suspect that it is either the Windows Server or the outdated BIOS/AGESA.
What do you think is more likely to cause the problems or is it something else?

Version 2603
AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.6b

Version 2424 (current)
AMD AM4 AGESA to Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C

0 Likes

It may be BIOS version, as well as Windows Server
But strange that this happens only on specific MB you have, and not happens at second motherboard

Your CPU only eated up to 96W. May there be some eco setting enabled in BIOS?  Still hardly explains how heavily threaded load converts to only 4 threads basically

0 Likes

The Eco mode is 65W.

its 4 Threads because the DayZ server is not optimized for multicore thats why it needs a high Boost clock

The PPT is set to 142W but only uses that many if i run prime95

Screenshot_4.png

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

The Eco mode is 65W.

I really am not sure that it should be same for 5950x... But who knows, not mine CPU and mobo.

But i can clearly see that your CPU gets quite toasty at 149W. 
141.5 is kind of normal with 142PPT, even though normally regulation is good enough to get something like 141.95W... 
Tbh no idea about what specifically is happening with your mobo. Is your CPU runs 4400+ all cores with these 142W at Prime95, or it drops some cores? 

0 Likes

with prime95 running.

unknown

maybe its the 565 chipset?

0 Likes

It may be motherboard power delivery issue, as you hard limited to 122W max. 

0 Likes

any ideas how to test it?

0 Likes