cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kksharma3951
Journeyman III

CPU retention not working after CPU stolen

Long story short, I shipped my PC from India to Canada (I immigrated to Canada Recently), and the courier guy stole my CPU from the Desktop. While taking out the CPU (CPU Chip), he also removed the retention arm.

I had a Ryzen 7 2700X with wraith prism cooler, and the motherboard is X470 aorus ultra gaming. Although the CPU Chip was removed, I still have the cooler.

Now, I have purchased a new Ryzen 7 5800X CPU chip and want to install it on the motherboard, but there is no locking mechanism left in place. I suppose that the wraith prism cooler, when installed on top, will lock everything in place, but I am not sure if I should take such a risk.

Since the PC repair costs a fortune, I would like to know with you all what’s the best course of action here. I have searched online for CPU retention locks but couldn’t find any.

I am attaching some pictures for your reference.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks. 

In case there is an option for tracking CPU, I could provide the details to AMD. 

0 Likes
3 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

Really sorry to here what happened to you.

The locking mechanism on the CPU is critical and you will have problems without it.  Each and every pin on that CPU must have a solid connection with the socket.  In the 1980's  and early 90's we did not have "zero insertion" sockets.  You had to line the CPU up properly then apply pressure and push it down into the socket.  I thank God every time I insert a CPU into the socket today.  But that little arm is what provides the contact with those pins. 

Actually your X470 would not be a good board for your new 5800X.  It will have PCIe 3 at best.  The one I have has 2 PCIe 3 and 1 or 2 PCIe 2 slots.  Even though it is an AM4 board I don't think it will support that CPU.  The 5800X uses a PCIe Gen 4 connection of which the X470 does not have.  I don't know if you have a limited budget for components, but I would definitely look for an X570 board from MSI or ASUS.  newegg.com has either for about $160.  I have a Ryzen 7 2700 in an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus.  This is a solid board at a reasonable price, and you won't regret it.

My final thoughts are that you would severely handicap a Ryzen 7 5800X on any X470 board, even if you could use it.  Without that locking arm it looks like your going to be in the market for a good X570 board.  Don't settle for anything less.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

5800X will work fine on an X470 board.Might need a Bios Update,but it will work without issue.

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

I have the Asus x570 Tuf Gaming mobo.

It is an excellent mobo at a really good price.

As for your old mobo, it's finished. 

You will also need a good cooler for that CPU, don't use your old one..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes