cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CTG
Adept I

Computer isn't booting correctly and I think it's the CPU

Parts list: Ryzen 9 5900x, msi surpim x 3080 ti, samsung 950 1tb w heat sink, corsair 4000d airflow, rog strix b550-f wifi ii, and the corsair RM750e.

So I have been having problems off and on for the past couple of months and I could not really ever figure out what was wrong with it. I have reason to believe it is my CPU now. It was having problems where it would boot into windows and then crash randomly after sometime and I tried multiple different parts because I thought it was the ram at some point, I replaced the ram 2 days ago and the ssd as well and it is having the same problems. It will boot into the bios just fine but it won't even load into windows anymore. It can't run the automatic repair system and every other time it just gives me the blue screen of death with the BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG error code. I haven't been able to figure out what specifically is wrong so any help at all would be appreciated. 

8 Replies
KuroSenpai
Adept I

Have you tried generally just reinstalling windows? From what I've read up on it BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG is usually a problem with windows registry causing BSODs.

It isn't that. It is a brand new copy of windows that I got 3 days ago.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I bet the problem is with the system drive (M.2) or with the Windows install on it.  You have suggested that you already replaced that drive, but that drive plugs into the motherboard so it could be the motherboard causing the issue in the M.2 interface.  I would try a cheap SATA SSD (1 TB) and install windows on that.  Make sure the SATA SSD is set to be the boot drive.  Once that is working, then investigate the M.2 issues.  Are there 2 M.2 ports?  Maybe you can use the other one for games and such.  Maybe you'll want to replace the motherboard or try yet another M.2 drive replacement.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

It is definitely not the SSD. I got it very recently but the only possibilities now are the cpu and the motherboard. I haven't really had time to do testing on either of them tho.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

New devices can be defective.  I bet that in 80% of cases where people return a computer component, the item isn't defective.  They are guessing which component is causing the problem.  I know it can be difficult sometimes to identify where the problem really is.  Swapping out components is one of the best methods for most people, so it's good to have some spare items available, like a storage drive, a video card , a few memory sticks, and maybe a CPU.  Having a second computer that can serve as a spare components base is a good idea.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
yurikokolev
Adept III

i guess you tried another power supply, do you have someone that has AM4 motherboard so you can try the cpu on it? if it wont work in his system you can certanly say it is the CPU 

Ryzen 7 5800x3D - Powercolor RX6800XT Red Devil - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - MSI x470 gaming plus - Win10 - AMD A10-7850K - 16Gb PowerColor RedDevil RX580 8GB and also Phenom 9950 Black Edition 8gb Ram - HD7870 2GB
Koyote7667
Challenger

And, what memory ? 

irealwasi12
Adept I

Since you've already tried replacing RAM and the SSD, it's advisable to test the system with a different CPU if possible....