cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

martel80
Journeyman III

AsRock DeskMini x600 with AMD 9700x

My Laptop is about to die. I urgently need to buy myself a new small machine to travel with.

As there's screen with HDMI input pretty much everywhere on the planet now, I'm thinking of buying this MiniPC.

I mainly use my laptop ( i7-11800H ) for Audio engineering on the go and it has met my needs so far.

Here's the idea of my build :

• ASRock DeskMini X600

• AMD Ryzen™ 7 9700X

• Noctua NH-L9A-AM5

• Kingston Fury Impact XMP 32GB 6400M KF564S38IBK2-32

• Seagate FireCuda 540 SSD 2TB

• Win 11 Key

• Arteck 2.4G Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo Ultra Compact

I'm about to leave early November for my yearly 6 months trip abroad. I plan to buy all of those pieces tomorrow morning when I wake up to be able to build the machine and get it running stable before I leave.

Now I understand that the motherboard bios is maxing out certain specs and I'm a bit worried about the CPU thermal throttling.

1 - Am I right to assume that I won't be able to get the maximum spec performance out of this CPU due to max Wattage by the Motherboard Bios ?

2 - Also, is there a better CPU that you would recommend at that price range or lower based on my needs ? (Audio Engineering, no gaming)

I'm especially scared that the CPU would thermal throttle under heavy sessions. 

Should I be expecting it to thermal Throttle with that small Noctua ?

Thanks.

EDIT: The DeskMini x600 is rated at 65W and the 9700x is rated at 65W.

6 Replies

Have you tried opening a thread at your professional Audio Engineering program forum and see if anyone there has a similar PC or using the same processor?

Here is where your Noctua CPU Cooler stands in relation to other Noctua CPU Coolers that are compatible with the 9700X processor: https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7-9700X-1833

Screenshot 2024-09-12 171155.png

NOTE: Here is ASRock Download page for your Mini-PC: https://www.asrock.com/Nettop/AMD/DeskMini%20X600%20Series/index.asp#BIOS

Here is all the BIOS download versions. For the 9700X you will need to be sure your Mini-PC has BIOS version 4.03 installed otherwise your 9700X CPU won't be recognized and your PC won't boot up:

Screenshot 2024-09-12 173255.png

From ASRock CPU LIST concerning your 9700X processor showing you must need BIOS version 4.03 installed:

AM5 Ryzen 7 9700X(100-000001404) 65W Granite Ridge 3.8GHz 8MB 32MB   4.03

0 Likes
martel80
Journeyman III

Hi Elstaci.

Thanks for the reply.

I did see all that.

The issue with the cooler is the clearance dimension with the small case.

Based on other peoples recommendation on Reddit (hydraxx7476), I bought a more powerful power supply to be able to mod the bios to 180W and not be limited to 120W.

I also bought the Thermalright AXP-90 X47 Full Cooper as it supposedly fit and offer better cooling based on specs and this user experience.

My question is, what would be the recommended cTDP for the CPU to work at full capacity when needed ? 

Is the stock ''MAX 65W TDP'' specs are enough or should I give it an extra 10 or 20 W to feed the CPU enough juice ? 

0 Likes

Personally, I would first find out how well the processor performance and CPU temperatures are with its Default TDP ratings. The higher the TDP ratings the hotter the processor is going to run and the CPU Cooler might struggle to keep the processor from overheating in the Small Mini-PC case.

Seems like Ryzen processor, at least the newer models, run much hotter than their TDP ratings.

The stronger a High Quality PSU the better for future-proofing your PC in case you want to upgrade or add more hardware.

That Thermalright Low profile CPU Cooler seems to be a good CPU Cooler. Noctua has a reputation of making high quality CPU Coolers with generally a 6 year Warranty.

IF you find out the ThermalRight CPU Cooler is not preventing your CPU cooler from overheating I would find a High CFM Fan 92 MM fan and replace the original CPU Cooler fan. That extra high flow of air should help keep the CPU to run much cooler like these at Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=High+CFM+92+mm+fans&i=industrial&crid=3T865LOOE6S10&sprefix=high+cfm+92+mm...

I personally bought this brand, Wathai, of High CFM fan and added it to my CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooler in a Push-Pull configuration which runs at 5000 RPM and it made a huge difference in keeping my Ryzen 3700x from running hot plus it increases the air flow inside my PC case by the high volume of high it pushes out.

This is the 92 MM version specs from Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/Wathai-Airflow-Speed-Pressure-Cooling/dp/B07Z4JZPKN/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3T865LOOE6...

92 mm Fan: 92 x 92 x 38 mm ( 3.62 x 3.62 x 1.5 in. ) | Rated Voltage :12V | Rated Current: 1A | Airflow: 117 CFM | Power: 12W | Speed: 5800 RPM

But need to make sure it will fit in your Mini-PC case with this fan attached.

0 Likes

And I think that will be the issue.

It was reported that the Thermalright AXP-90 X47 fit perfectly meaning that not a single mm more would actually fit in the case. 

So I guess my only other option would be to cute a whole in the case and get a bigger fan, but then I wouldnt even be able to close the case after mounting it.

So I'm a bit puzzled.

I guess I'll just have to wait and try all my part and see what comes out of it.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again mate, I appreciate your input.

The new AMD thread about a new Mini-PC the User recently purchased and the issues she is having with it.

Maybe you can assist her since you aware of the heating issues that might occur on your own Mini-PC.

Here is the thread: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/beware-hot-geekom-mini-pc-w-ryzen-ai-7-8845hs-amp-radeon-780...

NOTE: I also linked this thread on her own thread in case she wanted to add her 2 cents worth and to get your opinion.

0 Likes
GhostRider420
Newcomer

I just built a x600 with the a Thermalright AXP90-X47. The fit is tight and the case slightly rubs on the fan. I don't think it's impeading it but if you grab the case by the side you can definitely hear the fan rubbing the side of the case. I am just wondering if anybody came up with a good solution to keep the case away from the fan. I'm going to try to bend it just a little