cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

walvest
Adept I

9900X CPU Makes Music Production Impossible

I’ve discovered that the essential licensing software for music production, iLok License Manager, does not run on the 9900X. Additionally, the DAW program Cakewalk, while it installs on the 9900X, does not function properly when executed. UA Connect, which is necessary to use UAD plugins, also fails to run. Since many programs, virtual instruments, and plugins rely on iLok License Manager, it is currently impossible to produce music on the 9900X.

I’ve seen other users on Reddit experiencing the same issues with the 9900X and 9950X. It’s surprising to see such problems with well-established programs like iLok and Cakewalk, which have been consistently updated and have run smoothly on any computer until now. I hope AMD can provide a solution to this issue soon.

84 Replies

Definitely a bummer situation. Crossing my fingers for a quick fix from the software side. Have you seen any official statements from iLok or Cakewalk about the 9900X yet?

0 Likes

I haven't seen any official statements. For now, I’ve sent an email.

0 Likes

can you post your PC information including Make & Model of Motherboard & GPU plus Windows and AMD Driver versions installed.

Also can you post the exact errors you are seeing with Ilok License Manager plus the problems that you are having using DAW program Cakewalk and UA Connect.

Does Device Manager show any errors concerning any drivers on your PC?

Are you using a separate GPU card or just the 9900X IGPU?

Can you download and run GPU-Z and upload an image for your GPU card (If applicable) and IGPU of your 9900X.  GPU-Z will show if your GPU and IGPU drivers are installed and working correctly.

You can open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET and ask them what might be incompatible with your Processor and your professional programs from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Plus open a Support ticket for each of those Professional programs you are having issues with. IF they reply please post it here on your thread for others to see.  That way AMD Moderators can also see the replies from the Support ticket.

Note: You guys may want to also open this thread at AMD Forum's Developers General Discussion and see if other Users like yourself are having similar experiences: https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/bd-p/devgurus-discussion

Thank you for the detailed response. I will reach out through the links you provided. The error with iLok License Manager is "Error 2001", and I am using a 4060 GPU. All hardware is functioning correctly. The issue with UA Connect is that it gets stuck during the login process. I apologize if my writing isn’t quite natural, as English is not my first language. thanks.

image.png

walvest, did you visit the page shown? What did it say? Please post the link to the page. Have you talked to iLok support? Your English is just fine, we just need more information. Thanks, John.

EDIT: After searching the iLok site for "Error 2001" I suspect this is a software problem. If your iLok license is for one system, then you may not be able to run on a new machine. Please visit iLok Help.

0 Likes

John, I have visited all the pages you provided and posted messages there. I also contacted iLok support and am currently waiting for their email response. The 9900X computer is my office computer, so I can't upload screenshots at the moment. I’ve posted in the Cakewalk forum, contacted iLok support, AMD support, and other communities.

I also saw this post on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/universalaudio/comments/1evn80c/ilok_breaks_ua_connect_on_windows_11/

My iLok license is cloud-based, so I’ve been able to use it on multiple computers for a long time. If only iLok License Manager would run, but it doesn’t.

Thank you for your response. I’ll provide an update if there’s any new information.
(My English is thanks to ChatGPT

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

walvest, we need to see some information from you. What OS are you running? Post a screenshot of any and all error messages. We need a place to start. What does "...fails to run.." mean, show error information. Have you tried any other AMD processors? John.

0 Likes

Oh, I realize I didn’t include the basic information. My apologies. The OS is Windows 11. I’ve been using programs like iLok and Cakewalk for a long time, and I’ve previously used AMD CPUs like the 1700X and 3700X without any issues. I’ll make sure to save and post all screenshots next time.

0 Likes

walvest, I really do not think this is a processor issue but software. Have you done this as outlined in iLok Support? Post screenshots of Services. See here. Do you currently have Cakewalk installed ? If so could uninstall it temporally? Is the Device Name the same as the License is issued for? John.

Windows

1. Windows

Open Services: use Search (F3 or Win+S) and type services, then select Services.

2. Right-click PACE License Services on the Services list and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.

1. If the service is running, contact Support for further assistance.
    2. If the service is not running, then the service has either been stopped or was not allowed to run at startup last time you booted your machine. Click the Start button to start the service, and continue to the next step.
  3. Make sure the service is allowed to run at startup:
    1. On the Startup type pull-down menu, select “Automatic (delayed start)”.
    2. Click the OK button to save your changes.
  4. Close all windows and reboot your computer.
  5. Wait two minutes, then launch iLok License Manager (this gives PACE License Services plenty of time to start).
  6. If rebooting with Automatic (delayed start) does not solve the problem, uninstall iLok License Manager and install the latest version.
  7. If reinstalling iLok License Manager does not solve the problem, contact Support for further assistant           
  8. Now I cannot get rid of the list/table option. See above.
FunkZ
Exemplar

The 9900X and 9950X require some specialized setup for core scheduling similar to the 7900X3D and 7950X3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyA9DRTJtyE&t=184s

If the application is not functioning correctly due to cross-CCD latency, this may help.

Of course it could be unrelated, but if the issue is happening on 9900X/9950X but not 9700X/9600X it could be due to this core behavior in the dual CCD 12/16 core parts.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

FunkZ, maybe wrong thread? John.

ZaRecords
Journeyman III

Having the same issue on 9950x & unfortunately it looks like I will need to buy a 7950x just to get a performance boost that still works with Pace/iLok.
Looks like Pace is behind with the launch of Zen 5. 

ZaRecords, please present some evidence of the problem (eg Event Logs, error message, etc) John.

0 Likes

Hey!
Would love to, but as it's my work setup & downtime isn't an option I bought a 7950x & installed it until the issue is resolved so the 9950x is sitting in its boxing.

0 Likes

"Looks like Pace is behind with the launch of Zen 5. "

I completely agree

walvest
Adept I

I received an email from AMD. They advised me to update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version and install the latest chipset drivers. I updated the BIOS of the Gigabyte 650M AORUS board to the latest version, F31b, and also updated the chipset drivers using the link they provided. However, the iLok License Manager still does not run, and I keep getting error 2001.

It seems that PACE is conflicting with Zen 5. Fortunately, there appear to be many people raising this issue. Pace seems to be taking the issue seriously, so I’m tentatively optimistic they’ll have a fix soon.

CPU-Z.pngerror2001.png

Thanks, walvest. Do you get this error on Zen 5 processors only? Have you tested it on Zen 4 or less with the exact same software installed? What version of Windows are you running (Cmd prompt, winver). You can post a screenshot but maybe hide personal information. Supposedly Windows 11 24H2 fixes lots of things for Zen 5. If you have not tried this please do. John.

EDIT: Looks like to me that the only difference in Zen 4 and Zen 5 is Zen 5 supports AVX-512. Do any of the software (maybe iLok License Manager) use this extension if present?

0 Likes

I'm using Windows 11, and these programs run without any issues on Zen 4 or earlier. My Windows is also up to date. It seems likely that the issue is with PACE.

Thanks, walvest, but I really need to know what version of W11 you are running. You can DL a copy of the Windows 11 24H2 ISO here. You will need to be a member of the MS Insider Program. This would be strictly a test and should be run on a test system with test data and not an active system. This is part of debugging.

Just because you see failures on Zen 5 and not Zen 4 does not necessarily mean this is a Zen 5 problem as I pointed out above.

Have you told AMD that you programs run on Zen 4 and NOT Zen 5? If not, please do.

John.

0 Likes
Chilli_Dock
Journeyman III

SORRY TO HEAR THIS BRO... how about other DAWS like Cubase, Ableton, Bitwig etc.?  I'm diving into AMD from Intel, but the issue you mentioned makes me REALLY sit back a lot. If it is structural failure, I may reconsider 7950x instead... at least on more core-parking headache.

If it's a DAW that doesn't require iLok, it should be fine. In the case of Cakewalk, after uninstalling PACE and removing all related programs, I reinstalled everything, and it worked properly. However, when iLok is installed, it seems to conflict with PACE, causing related programs to malfunction as well. Until a patch is released, I recommend not purchasing Zen 5...

Thanks for your advices, I'll be patient for further update. Cheers!

0 Likes
jav3x
Journeyman III

just want to add to this post as well. also having the same issue here. upgraded to a 9950x and any programs that rely on iLok/PACE Licensing Services do not work due to the Error 2001. No matter what fix I’ve tried, the same issue still occurs. I think all of Zen 5 is affected by this issue. Contacted iLok and apparently some others are experiencing the same. Updating Windows 11 to the new 24H2 (Release Preview) DOES NOT fix this issue. Also, performed a complete clean install of Windows on my workstation and it still did not solve the issue. Following the troubleshooting steps on the iLok support site (restarting the PACE service in Windows and setting the startup setting to “Automatic (Delayed Start)” also does not fix this. Did multiple clean installs of iLok and the issue persists. Until this gets addressed, I recommend people steer clear from Zen 5 until then.

coming from a 7950x I can also confirm this is only a Zen 5 issue, as Zen 4 runs perfectly fine.

Thanks much, jav3x. You answered several questions. I see that the AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ PRO 7995WX also supports AVX-512. Does anyone run this software on a Pro 7995WX? A test on it would enlightening. Has AMD be informed that your software runs fine on Zen 4 but fails on Zen 5. Please tell them here. Include a link to this thread. Their earlier response was boiler plate nonsense. Again, PLEASE tell them, even if repeating. This is a user forum financed by AMD but seldom do they become involved. From  jav3x:  "I recommend people steer clear from Zen 5 until then." I agree. Thanks much, John.

0 Likes
Dotje
Adept I

Hello,

I’m reaching out regarding persistent issues with iLok that I first reported (to ILOK support) on July 24th. Unfortunately, despite my efforts, the problem remains unresolved.

On July 24th, 2024, I upgraded my system from an AMD 5900X with an MSI 570 motherboard to an AMD 9900X with a Gigabyte X670E motherboard. While most of my software (including Office Suite, Adobe apps, Arturia, Bitwig, and Studio One) transitioned smoothly after transferring my bootable drives, iLok has been problematic, preventing me from running my business for over a month. I even replaced the 9900X with another unit from a different batch last week, but the issue persists.

The specific problem is that iLok generates a "2001 error," which is preventing the majority of my VSTs from functioning. Notably, this exact installation works flawlessly on the AM4 5900X; only the AM5 9900X CPU seems to trigger this error. This has been confirmed by using a previous, fully clean Windows 11 bootable drive.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 154303.png

The ILOK service has an crashing & restarting loop.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 154934.png

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• Update BIOS / Drivers etc
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled iLok, but the error remains.
  • Manually started the iLok service with no success.
  • Performed a clean reinstall of Windows 11 and a fresh iLok installation, but the error continues.

Given the circumstances, it seems likely that there is a compatibility issue between iLok and the new AMD CPU.

Dotje, please read this complete thread. It appears there is a problem related to Zin 5 processors. At least until identified and corrected run your software on a Zen 4 or lower. This is NOT necessarily an AMD problem and your "Error: 1067" at first blush looks to me like a software issue. Please present this to iLik. Thanks much. This may be a break. John.

0 Likes
Dotje
Adept I

Hello,

I recently had an ILOK engineer visit my workstation. They provided an alpha version of an update that has partially resolved the issue I was experiencing with my iLok (UVI library). My UVI library is now functional again.

While a full fix is in the works, there may be some additional issues to iron out. I will be testing each plugin and reporting the results to ILOK.

Please be patient as ilok works through this process.

Update 29 Aug. 2024

Succes: UVI, UAD

Fail: Softube, LiquidSonics

ilok works.png

Great, Dotje! Please keep us informed. Thanks much, John.

0 Likes

Great, Dotje! Please keep us informed. Thanks much, John.

0 Likes

Update 29 Aug. 2024

Succes: UVI, UAD, Process.audio

Fail: Softube, LiquidSonics, McDSP

Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Having the same issues with Slate Digital all access, Ssl complete and protools. 

0 Likes
aliabag
Adept I

It sounds like you're facing significant compatibility issues with the 9900X when trying to run essential music production software like iLok License Manager and Cakewalk. These problems are particularly surprising given that these programs have a long history of stability on various systems. Since these issues are affecting not just you but others as well, it may be worth reaching out to AMD support or keeping an eye on updates that could address these compatibility problems. Hopefully, a solution will be available soon so you can get back to producing music without interruptions.

0 Likes

I have manage to get all the Harrison plugs working and 80% of the slate and ssl plugs. Testing synergy core native. 

0 Likes

BobbyMarioJackson86, this is good news. Thanks much, John.

0 Likes

Slate Digital Connect runs. 

List of plugins that crash both Protools and ableton when you try to launch them. 

Fgx2

Inf bass

Inf eq

Meta pitch 

Vms 

Unable to use SSL manager to install 

SSL and Harrison, have to install each plug separately downloads from  the SSL downloads page.

List of plugins that crash both Protools and ableton when you try to launch them. 

Fusion vintage drive 

Vocalstrip native 

Guitar strip

Flex verb 

Antelope products all working except for AFX4DAW just attempts to load for hours. 

Blessed 

BobbyMarioJackson86, what processor are you using; Zen 5? These all sound like software problems. Have you reported them to the provider? If not, please do. John.

0 Likes

I am using a Ryzen 9 9900x Windows 11. 

I had the same issues with Ilok and the team at ilok sent me a hot fix. After running the hot fix I managed to get ilok license manager running and began to install my plugins. The previous message had the results of the plugin tests.