Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kojensegel
Adept I

5800X3D temperature rises to 90 degrees

Hello,

under full load, the temperature of the CPU rises up to 90 degrees. I have an open beQuit case with six beQuit case fans that make a lot of air. Is the temperature borderline for these or still perfectly fine? As for the air circulation in the case, I have exhausted everything, more is not possible. I use an Alpenföhn with two bQuit fans as the CPU fan.

Thanks

0 Likes
31 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi,
We need more info, the model of the case and what are you doing, ambient temperature and so much more.

My brother just upgraded to a 5800X3D and He is nowhere near those temps with cinebench and max loads.

Although, He runs a Corsair H115i and an airflow friendly NZXT case.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes
kojensegel
Adept I

For sure this is my hardware:

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X3D
CPU Fan: Alpenföhn Brocken ECO Advanced
Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
GPU: GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G

Fans at the front
Two be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm case fans are installed in the front of the case to draw in the air.

CPU fans
One be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm fan is installed on the CPU fan to draw in the air and one be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm fan to exhaust the air.

Fans at the back
A be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm case fan is installed on the back of the case to direct airflow from the CPU fan to the outside.

Fans on the top
A be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 140mm PWM fan is installed on the top of the case to draw in air and transport it directly to the CPU fan, which in turn draws in air. A second be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 140mm PWM fan on the top transports the air to the outside.

Room temperatures
The air temperature outside the case quickly reaches 28 to 30 degrees in summer.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 155012.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

nothing strange

0 Likes
kojensegel
Adept I

What do you mean with: nothing strange?

They may be referring to this, from AMD's 7800X3D specification page:

Max. Operating Temperature (Tjmax) 89°C

And you said that you were putting the CPU under Full Load
Anonymous
Not applicable

5800x3d will be hot under full load and its harder to cool 3d models.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

my 5800x3d will reach 90C during cinebench but when I play games temp will be around 60C.

I cool 5800x3d with wraith prism.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I think something is wrong.

0 Likes
kojensegel
Adept I

On the AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X3D page it says under specifications: max. temperatures: 90°C

Is it possible to damage the cpu when the temperatures exceed the max. temperature?

0 Likes

It is suppose to run at 90. It will run, until it hits that. If you dont like that, go into bios, and set it to eco mode, or your preferred "temp" limit" whatever. If 90 is the "limit" the cpu will boost/run, until it hits that. Period. Done. Now if your cooler and mounting, case fans (anything trying to cool it) is a turd, well it will just it that, much faster. My 7800x3d while typing this, watching twitch, with 4 other pages open atm is at 49c. In cinebench, it will go to around 81c. Because i have it set there, as running it to 90 showed little gain. (EDIT- and all i care about or do , is game, and it never see's over 66c under the most demanding titles)

But do you. And again, that is where it WANTS to get to. And again, YES, its fine running there all day, every day. (AKA you are NOT exceeding MAX temps, its running where it wants to) Cheers. 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

There are two values:

The safe temperature and the temperature that you feel safe.

be quiet! Pure Base 600 is not a top contender for airflow, OK.. two side'ish grills but solid front so expect less airflow coming in comparing with a 5000D mesh front.

Then the ambient temperature plays a lot, 28 or 30 is too HOT for me. I try to keep my house at 22ºC with HVAC in the summer.

Like I said, my brother pinged me with 80ºC 'ish on cinebench and 60ºC on gaming with his 5800X3D. OK, again, He is running and 280 AIO.

If the print above showing 83ºC is from cinebench, you're OK. If its gaming, its still OK but...

...there are two values:

The safe temperature and the temperature that you feel safe.

The Englishman
0 Likes

HWiNFO64
The screenshot of HWiNFO64 was taken after a race simulation was running. If the CPU doesn't get damaged when it reaches 90 degrees, that's fine with me. This temperature is also only reached briefly during load peaks. So it doesn't stay constant for several minutes. Still, I know it's not ideal.

BIOS modification
I checked @Anonymous's tip with the BIOS. In my BIOS I found this option and noted the value "90" under "Platform Thermal Throttle Limit". However, I did not save these settings because I am unsure about the other settings. Also, I don't know if these changes have any effect. I have read that overdrive functions for the 5800X3D are disabled at the factory. Maybe someone here can look over it, thank you.

IMG_4797.png

I would also like to have lower temperatures in the apartment in summer but south side with window front is difficult.

0 Likes

You can use that if you feel its necessary, but will obviously limit the CPU capabilities.

Have you done somekind of Curve Optimizer or Undervolt?

I don't know if CO is available for 5800X3D on Ryzen Master but on RoG boards is available on BIOS.

This way you can lower temps and squeezing more performance in the majority of cases.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Thanks.

Have you done somekind of Curve Optimizer or Undervolt?

Yes, there is a fan control in the BIOS. The fan curve in the BIOS for the CPU is set to "Auto" as well as for all other fans in the case.

0 Likes

No Sorry, I mean tweaking done to the CPU.

Like this very old undervolting video that is still... well.. somewhat useful.

The Englishman
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not tell you to change cpu settings in bios.

when temp is 90C and higher your cpu will work slower and if temp rise after that your pc will shut down to avoid damage.

You can change fan settings in bios and set cpu and system fans to max rpm and do some tests.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you only play games you are fine but if your cpu is often under full load maybe consider new cpu cooler.

If you want to keep temp lower under full load you will need high end air cpu cooler.

0 Likes

Thank you very much for the help. Yes this is a gaming PC for simracing.

@Anonymous: Can you recommend a high-end CPU fan for this CPU?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

what games do you play?

your sim racing is pushing cpu to 100% usage?

You can find videos on youtube where they compare many cpu coolers air and liquid in one video and you can see what is best for you and your budget.

I talk about cpu cooler and not just fan.

You need something strong as noctua nh-d15 and dark rock pro 4.

Before you buy new cpu cooler you should research how much improvment you will get.

0 Likes

@Anonymous wrote:

what games do you play?

I play Assetto Corsa Competizione, iRacing, rFactor 2. Especially rfactor 2 generates the highest CPU temperatures.

@Anonymous wrote:

your sim racing is pushing cpu to 100% usage?

I use MSI Afterburner as a display during the simulation and it shows me that the CPU is running at under 30% load but the temperature jumps to 90 degrees.

@Anonymous wrote:

I still did not decide but you can find videos on youtube where they compare many cpu coolers air and liquid in one video and you can see what is best for you and your budget.

I talk about cpu cooler and not just fan.

Thank your for the tip and for sure CPU cooler.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have pc case with good air flow and I cool 5800x3d with wraith prism and temp in games is never above 70C. In some games cpu usage is much higher than 30%

Can you post a picture of your cpu cooler and link of manufacturers website with details about your cpu cooler?

Post screen shot when you are in game with all monitoring information.

When did you last time change thermal paste and what thermal paste did you use?

If you reach 90C in games with 30% cpu usage your pc will shut down in cinebech when it reaches 100% cpu usage.

That temperature is too high for 30% cpu usage and maybe something is wrong.

In bios I have dafult settings for 5800x3d and I think there is no need to change it.

what is your motherboard bios version?

0 Likes

Thanks again for the help.

I use this CPU cooler with two be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm fans: 

BIOS (version: B22.1107.1), chipset driver (5.05.16.529), etc are up to date. BIOS is set to default. For thermal compound I use this thermal paste. I carefully installed the CPU cooler in March 2023.

I gladly did a test with a race simulation and logged all data, see excel file. I filtered the CPU (tdie) temperatures in descending order. Can you read anything from it? The room temperature is about 28 degrees.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you play asseto corsa little and monitor with msi after burner or radeon software and after that post screenshots or short video?

set max rpm for cpu fans in bios so they spin at max rpm and see if cpu temperature during gameplay is better.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem can be thermal paste or cpu cooler fan speed.

Change thermal paste and set cpu fan speed to max rpm on all temps.

check if your cpu cooler is properly installed.

post information and pictures that I asked for.

0 Likes

I have now made a test with Assetto Corsa Competizione. I manually set the CPU-fan to 100%. So it ran at maximum power regardless of the CPU temperature. I then used HWiNFO64 to monitor the most important data for the CPU while using Assetto Corsa Competizione with high graphics settings. The CPU core temperature increased up to 80.2 degrees as a peak value. The graph below shows the progression of the core temperature.

CPU-fan with 100% all time

20230526-gigabyte-control-center-cpu-fan-100percent.png

HWiNFO64 with CPU-fan at 100% 

20230526-hwinfo64-with-cpu-fan-100percent.png

I then let the CPU cool down and set the CPU-fan to Auto. With HWiNFO64 I determined the most important data. The CPU-fan quickly rose to 100% and stayed at that power. The CPU core temperature increased up to 81.0 degrees as the peak value. The diagram below shows the course of the core temperature.

CPU-fan with auto mode

You can see from 65 degrees the cpu fan runs at 100 percent power.

20230526-gigabyte-control-center-cpu-fan-auto.png

HWiNFO64 with CPU-fan in auto mode

20230526-hwinfo64-with-cpu-fan-auto.png

The room temperature is 28 degrees. The enclosure is closed. What do you think about these data? Thanks a lot for your support.

The AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D has a TDP of 105 watts and my CPU cooler with fan of 170 watts. Theoretically, the CPU cooler must be sufficient.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not measure my room temperature but it is warmer than last time I monitored cpu temp.

I have 8 fans 140mm at 1600 rpm and wraith prism fan at 3500 rpm.

5800x3d    cpu usage 50-55%    temp 71-73C     test duration in one game 30 min.

I think its all ok with your pc but think about new high end cpu cooler.

0 Likes

Have you tried going back to the previous AMD chipset driver version? This video claims the new drivers make temps rise.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

since I have 5800x3d only  v5.02.19.2221 (2/28/2023)

0 Likes

That's a tip I would test but I can't find those chipset drivers anymore. The X570 drivers and support page only provides the latest drivers (5.05.16.529). Is there an archive where you can download the older drivers?

I found it here, thanks.

0 Likes

There is a link in the driver download page:

Screenshot_20230528_110004_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 Likes
kojensegel
Adept I

Who cares, I have performed a test:

(A) control group: AMD chipset version 5.05.16.529

CPU fans run manually at 100 percent. I ran two benchmarks:

3DMark Time-Spy

• CPU (Tctl/Tdie) Maximum temperature (peak): 91,5°
  • CPU (Tctl/Tdie) Average temperature: 73,4°

3dmark-time-spy-5.05-16.529.png

3DMark Port Royale

• CPU (Tctl/Tdie) Maximum temperature (peak): 82,3°
  • CPU (Tctl/Tdie) Average temperature: 66,6°

3dmark-port-royale-5.05-16.529.png

(B) Test group: AMD chipset version 5.02.19.222

(After I completely uninstalled the chipset drivers and installed these drivers.)

CPU fans run manually at 100 percent. I ran two benchmarks:

3DMark Time-Spy

• CPU (Tctl/Tdie) Maximum temperature (peak): 91,6° (+0,1°)
  • CPU (Tctl/Tdie) Average temperature: 69,9° (-3,5°)

3dmark-time-spy-5.02.19.222.png

3DMark Port Royale

• CPU (Tctl/Tdie) Maximum temperature (peak): 81,4° (-0,9°)
  • CPU (Tctl/Tdie) Average temperature: 64,7° (-1,9°)

3dmark-port-royale-5.02.19.222.png

Conclusion

The AMD chipset version 5.02.19.222 delivers slightly lower temperatures. The biggest difference is -3.5°. This is certainly a noticeable value, but my test does not show significantly lower temperatures, because the delta is about -0,8° for Maximal and -2,7° for Average.

0 Likes