cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept III
Adept III

3900X Clock Speed Ramping Up and Down

I recently upgraded to a 3900X system, and when I first ran AI Suite, it showed the CPU mostly staying at 3.8GHz unless I ran something intensive like a game, then it would jump to 4.4─4.7GHz as needed. But after trying the 5-way Optimization and letting it overclock my system, it stayed at 4.275GHz and the temps were good, around 39c at idle and 65c while gaming, but I wanted to go back to stock clocks due to being stuck with the low clock speed. So, I went into BIOS and loaded Optimized Defaults. But now, the CPU clock speeds bounce around from 3.6GHz to 4.6GHz and vcore bouncing from 1.0~ to 1.4+ while sitting at the desktop, and the temps are worse than they were when overclocked, at around 45-55c while idle, plus my fans are ramping up and down with the clock changes. 

What the hell is going on? Why would it be doing this now when it's supposed to be back to stock settings? I tried uninstalling AI Suite, but it still did the same thing. I just want to get it back to the way it was at stock without all of this bipolar ridiculousness going on. Could someone list the default values for all of the voltages and CPU BIOS settings? Everything in my BIOS is set to "Auto" but I'd like to double check it. I just don't get how the optimized defaults now can be so different from how it was before the overclock, because the core voltage seems much higher now, keeping my temps up. I was running stock at 3.8GHz and around 35-40c. Now I'm running at 3.6-4.6GHz with a higher core voltage, and my temps are idle at around 49-50c. It's nuts.

I'm running the CPU on an ASUS X570-E Strix Gaming motherboard with the latest BIOS.

0 Kudos
68 Replies
Adept II
Adept II

Re: 3900X Clock Speed Ramping Up and Down

To prevent typing what I have already said once, take a look at my posts in this thread:

https://community.amd.com/message/2956669?commentID=2956669#comment-2956669 

I am positive that this is exactly what you are describing. 

I recommend trying out the 1usmus CPP (but you need to follow the instructions on enabling Custom Power Plans).

Adept III
Adept III

In Task Manager, I've noticed iCUE and LightingServices only using 0.1% CPU. Then again, I only have them set to solid colors. I've noticed that when I OC my CPU to 4.275─4.3GHz that the CPU runs 6-8c cooler than if at stock settings of 3.8GHz. Because at 3.8GHz, it's jumping around frequently from base clock, sometimes all the way to 4.6-or-4.7GHz, but, and this is the kicker, even when I run something like Cinebench, the damn CPU won't even boost past 4.2GHz. 

The main issue is that when I FIRST booted into Windows after installing this hardware, and before using ASUS 5-Way Optimization, the CPU seemed to stay at 3.8GHz and ran cool at 38c. After using optimization, it's all screwy, even after reseting CMOS by jumping the pins on the mobo. I know better than to rely on what ASUS considers "optimized defaults" in their BIOS, because that got me no where. But then again, neither did a hard reset of the BIOS. 

Not sure, but there's either something inherently wrong with this CPU, or there's something seriously wrong with how these motherboards run it. I'm thinking of going back to Gigabyte, but I really hate their software. 

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

I found my happy place with this CPU/Mobo combo. I followed this guide (Definitive guide to configuring the Ryzen 3900X) and brought my clock on all cores up to 4.275GHz with a vcore of 1.3 and ran Cinebench for 300 seconds (around 7-8 passes, I think) and beat out a previous 3900X score at 4.3GHz, with a score of 7560 @68c package and 56c CPU with southbridge at 75c. Now my clocks are stable, temps are low (36-40c idle) on a dinky little Cooler Master 240mm AIO with pump set to 50% until 65c / 80% until 75c / 100% onward, and fans set in Fan Xpert to run Extreme Quiet, but ramp up slowly as needed. I'm quite happy with this. 

I followed your guide for power savings, but I already had my power settings set to Performance, just switched over to "Ryzen Performance" for 100%/100% CPU and the rest that comes with it. I also created the non-hyperthreaded profile in Ryzen Master for gaming, and while it gets a lower score in Cinebench (7516) it runs 8-10c cooler in games with no noticeable loss of performance (Destiny 2, Division 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey)

My GPU is covering the fan for my southbridge, so I think I'm going to remove the shroud and modify it a bit to pull air from below the GPU. 75c is a bit high for my liking.

Adept II
Adept II

Have you tried dialing in your RAM using the Ryzen DRAM Calculator? I talk about in some of my posts in that link above. I am REALLY impressed with how well that application works. As long as you can give it the information it needs, most of which can be found in AIDA64. 

I am glad you found some settings you are happy with. I might be able to provide you with the stock voltages if you still need them. Although, you can just type in Auto and that should give you the default for any place in the X570-E BIOS.

Speaking of, I just realized you have the exact same motherboard as me, just a different CPU (I have a 3950X). I too, tried the 5-way optimization out of pure curiosity and then ended up clearing the CMOS. After applying that, have you experienced system instability with any sort of OC (auto or manual) on cold boots and some restarts? Mine can be 100% stable, but then after a reboot it won't start back up. Once boot recovery starts up, I just go in and pick the exact same BIOS settings and then it always boots after that!

I am not sure if you read all my posts, but in the very last one, I list the voltage readings I had while in each power plan.

In Ryzen Balanced mode, my CPU + Mobo holds the core voltage steady at 1.38V. The Average voltage and the Peak voltage are equal. 

In Ryzen HP mode the average CPU voltage is lower than Balanced about 1.18V, but the peak is higher, 1.435V. This means that the power is being delivered to the cores that need it most and less to the others. This could in theory lead to higher boost clocks, so it makes sense I guess.

Then in both of the 1usmus CPPs, the CPU voltage is about 1.41-1.42V steady, pretty much like the Ryzen Balanced mode, except it does vary a tiny amount

Note: Power Saver Plan puts it at 0.9V and holds it there.

I really think that this could be the cause, because Windows will randomly switch me from the 1usmus CPP back over to Ryzen Balanced or Ryzen HP mode. This can shift the voltage drastically, if it puts me into Ryzen HP mode and maybe this is what has happened? Is there any chance that ASUS is changing the power plan? haha, I still have all of their software installed, although some of it is disabled. I only use the RamCache and AI Suite 3 apps right now. 

I read about why a power plan might get changed by Windows, usually this indicates some sort of problem with the power plan, or W10 just doesn't like using it. Our stock BIOS doesn't have all of the options you need to fully use a CPP, so you have to get a modded BIOS, in order to fully use it. This is my guess, at what is causing my PC to switch my power plan randomly. 

Exemplar
Exemplar

The AI suite likely changed settings within the AMD Overclocking sub menu in UEFI.  Loading optimized defaults does not erase all of these settings.  The best way to clear the UEFI is to reset CMOS.  There is usually a button to hold in or something similar, you can consult your particular motherboard documentation for the exact procedure.   Your computer should then go back to performing as it did, and you can restore your RAM overclock settings.

Adept III
Adept III

Yeah, I ended up having to clear CMOS by jumping the pins on the motherboard (followed directions from the manual, but thankfully it was the same as previous boards) but the issue was still there, so I tried the next thing the manual suggests, which is to clear CMOS and then remove the battery and put it back in afterward. Still the same, wonky clock speeds and high temps. The only thing that's fixed it for me is setting the OC from "definitive guide", but applying it to BIOS so it stays put without having to use Ryzen Master at every boot to select the profile:

Definitive guide to configuring the Ryzen 3900X 

My clock speeds stay at 4.275 and my voltage stays around 1.288v-1.3v

I'm not noticing any instability issues, but I'm also not getting the boosts out of this CPU that it was advertised to have now. I WAS, on first boot getting those boost speeds. The CPU would stay at 3.8 at the desktop, but when I ran Cinebench, it boosted all the way to 4.6, sometimes 4.7. Now, with "default" settings, even after CMOS reset, it wouldn't boost past 4GHz. I'm at a loss. I kind of want to return this motherboard, but I'm just not sure. The evidence proves there's something wrong with ASUS' software/BIOS, as I saw that it CAN function properly, but no longer does after an overclock with AI Suite. 

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

I haven't had any instability. Boots into Windows every time. I do have fastboot disabled. What about you? I've seen fastboot cause issues in the past. Even with fastboot disabled, I'm into Windows within 2-3 seconds. 

An issue I am noticing is that in "Power Plan" advanced settings, Windows won't let me switch plans. It always says "Ryzen Balanced (Active)" no matter what I select. Is there somewhere else this has to be changed? Because it won't let me change it in Windows. I have a feeling this is basically the same issue you're having, but I'm just not able to change it at all. 

Adept III
Adept III

Also, I have Thaiphoon Burner and DRAM Calc both working, but I'm at a loss as to how to use DRAM Calc. I'll have to look up a guide. 

EDIT: Okay, I think I've got it all figured out. I imported the XML from T-Burner into DRAM Calc. I'm pretty positive your basic RAM would be "single rank", correct? Dual rank RAM getting into the realm of ECC memory? I'm running 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 CL18 (Micron E-die) Everyone was saying that this RAM more times than not turns out to be Samsung B-die, but I guess I lost the lottery on that one. I was assuming it would be, but hadn't had a chance to check it until recently. Oh well. I read Micron E-die can get some pretty tight timings if handled correctly. 

DRAM Calc is telling me to try 14-14-18-14-32 @ 1.44 with "Calculate Fast" and a profile version of "1", but I'm not sure I wanna run this RAM any higher than 1.35. Think what DRAM is suggesting is safe voltage?

The differences in the screenshots is one is Profile V1 and the other V2. 

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

Okay, my system did not like what DRAM Calc was cooking. I tried Calculate Safe / V2 first, as it seemed, well, the most safe. But I couldn't get a post after trying those settings. Literally had to remove the battery, because clearing CMOS alone wasn't working for some reason. 

At any rate, I think I'll leave this RAM alone for now, because I have a free set of 32GB G Skill 3600 CL16 coming that looks much more promising. I had originally ordered the G Skill 32GB 3600 CL16 RAM, but apparently Amazon has issues with how they manage their inventory of G Skill, so they've been sending out the wrong kits to people left and right. G Skill has an agreement with Amazon that if someone contacts their customer service with this issue, Amazon is to make it right by any means necessary. So, when I received an old kit of 32GB 2400MHz G Skill RGB RAM from 2017 with a tampered with box (serial number sticker was removed), Amazon told me to keep the RAM and they'd send me another set or refund me in full.

Notice the box says "Trident Z NEO (AMD Ryzen)" but the RAM sticks are nearly 4 years old and say "Intel XMP 2.0 Ready" It's either a fake box or a tampered with box made as a way for some greedy people to get rid of their old stock of G Skill RAM by passing it off as Ryzen NEO RAM. 

IMG_20200305_084909 (1).jpg20200305_002124 (1).jpg20200305_002107 (1).jpgScreenshot_54.png

87840878_10157994067189004_1476203529768009728_n.jpg

0 Kudos