cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

eband
Adept II

Wraith Stealth Cooler fan does not have long enough screws to reach the holes

The Ryzen 5 5600G CPU that I bought does not have long enough screws to reach the holes on the motherboard.

I tried screwing as per the demonstration videos on Youtube, but it is to no avail.

I finally resolved to take it out of the case and continue from there.

Does it make a difference if I'm using a smaller X-head screwdriver?

0 Likes
9 Replies

Those screws should be long enough to reach your Motherboard's screw holes with the Ryzen installed.

The Wraith has spring loaded screws on it. So you need to put some pressure from the top of your screwdriver and while bearing down on the screw driver start to slowly turn until the screws just starts to grab the screw hole.

Don't screw it all the way down otherwise the other screws won't reach due to the CPU Cooler being tilted to one side.

Now do the same to the other 3 screws just get them started in the screw hole. Once all 4 screws have just started threading tighten all down in a specific pattern to make sure the CPU Cooler is set evenly on the CPU as per YouTube video.

0 Likes
eband
Adept II

But the screws are not reaching the holes at all!

I don't know what's happening, and I am petrified that I have to take it to a professional!

Will a smaller screwdriver help me with at gripping?

0 Likes

is it possible to post an closeup image of the CPU Cooler on top of the CPU showing the location and how far down they go when the CPU Cooler is on top of the CPU?

Is the CPU installed correctly? Did it go all the way down into the Mobo socket? There should be no gap between the CPU and mobo.

If everything is installed correctly the only thing I can figure out is the screws were not the correct one from the factory.

The Wraith has the same AMD Warranty as your CPU if it came bundled together.

I suggest you open a AMD Support Ticket - Warranty and see if they believe your CPU Cooler needs to be replaced or not from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

eband
Adept II

I think I solved the problem, operative words being "I think."

I used the backplate that I was supposed to remove and the screws tightened nicely.

Never lose the backplate!

sounds like a bumper sticker.. Never loose the backplate

0 Likes

There is no reason to remove the original Mobo Backplate to be able to install the Wraith CPU Cooler.  That is what is used by the CPU Cooler to screw down the unit.

Some 3rd Party CPU Cooler does require a special Mobo Backplate to be able to install their specific CPU Cooler. But not the Wraith CPU Coolers. All you do is remove the brackets from the Mobo and use the same holes where the Mobo brackets were installed to install the Wraith CPU Cooler.

But there are idiots like me who would throw anything away that anyone tells to do like the blind leading the blind.

0 Likes

Not an idiot just uninformed.

Good experience for the future.

Glad you got your issue fixed.

0 Likes
Volkdude85
Challenger

Stuff happens I have no idea where 1/2 the cables from my power supply went.   

0 Likes