cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Wreck_Diver
Adept I

Ryzen 9 7500x running VERY hot at idle

I decided to upgrade my system to a Ryzen 9 7900X, and give my son my older (but AWESOME) Ryzen 9 3900X.

Right off I noticed HIGH temperatures.  I actually was recording 85C just sitting in the BIOS.  I honestly thought my AIOC stopped working.  Things I tried:

1. Checked the cooler by unplugging the pump and watching temps.  When I unplugged the cooler pump the temps shot to 95C rather quickly, and I plugged the cooler back in and temps dropped back to 85C. 

2. I checked the MB Firmware and did apply an update and it did seem to drop the temps to 80C, but that was it.  

3. I decided to remove the cooler and reapply the thermal compound to the cooler.  No Change in temps

4. After seeing a JayzTwoCents video talking about graphics cards potentially affecting  CPU core temps, and check firmware.  I loaded up EVGA Precision X1, and it immediately said my Firmware needed updating!  This dropped idle temps to the current ~75C average (again, just idling at windows, I'm not doing anything).  

5. Replaced AIOC with Air Cooler - No change in temps, still running in the 75C+ range

I've been looking and looking for a solution here, and I'm wondering if I just happened to lose the Silcon Lottery here and got a hot chip.  Yes, I've read that these are DESIGNED to run hot, but I expect HOT to be when the cores are loaded.  CPU Cores are running between 4400Mhz and 5325Mhz, and are loaded at a peak of 15% (at idle) and that's just one of the 12  cores, the rest are 0~5%.

Do I need to look into returning the processor?  It may actually be out of the return window at Microcenter, so would this warrant an RMA?  

My new system is:
Processor: AMD RYZEN 9 7900X
Mother Board: ASUS X670E-PLUS WIFI
Memory: 64Gb Corsair 332GB 2x16 D4 3200 (AMD Compatible)
Graphics Card: EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3090
Processor Cooler: Lian Li AIOC 360 RGB (name not permitted here)
Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic (Don't judge, it was cheap and available during Covid)
Power Supply: EVGA 1000W Gold Rated
Storage: 2TB Samsung EVO m.2 NAND  and a Toshiba 2TB Platter Drive (Data)

Thanks!  

0 Likes
3 Replies

Your processor has a very high TDP rating of 170 Watts. Almost as high as a minimum ThreadRipper processor. So you will need to have a CPU Cooler rated, in my opinion, at least greater than 200 watts TDP rated.

The Maximum Operating Temperature of your processor is 95c. Once the temperature start reaching and passes 95c the processor will automatically start to throttle or slow down to keep the Processor's temperature at 95c or below.

Could be a bad Motherboard thermal sensor or CPU thermal sensor or incorrectly installed or defective AIO or underpowered AIO or CPU Cooler.

Do you have good air flow inside the PC case? Remove the side panel and see if temperatures goes down slightly. if it does that would indicate poor air circulation inside the PC Case.

I noticed that your PC case has several large air filters installed. Make sure they are clean and not clogged with dust and dirt preventing good air circulation.

Your AMD processor if purchased in a sealed official AMD Retail box has a three year AMD Warranty.

The AMD Warranty won't take affect until after Micro-center's Return date or Warranty expires first.

You can open a AMD SUPPORT- Warranty ticket to see if they believe the high temperatures is due to a defective processor or not from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

I would also open a Asus Support ticket to see if your Motherboard needs to be RMAed or not to be checked.

But I would definitely open a Lian Support ticket to see if they believe your AIO is defective or needs to be replaced.

Make sure the Lian AIO Pump is running at its maximum rate and that the Radiator Fan is clean and it air flow not obstructed.

Also the position and installation of the AIO Radiator could also be a factor in the temperatures of the processor.

Since you manually stopped the pump and the temperature went immediately to 95c or above does indicate that at least there is some pump action occurring. Plus updating the BIOS also caused the processor to run slightly cooler.

Too me it sounds like a AIO CPU Cooler issue. either the pump is not working at maximum speed or there might be partial blockage inside one of the AIO tubings etc.

Is the Input tube, from the processor, to the Radiator slightly warmer than the Output tube from the Radiator going back to the processor?

Do you feel a slight vibration from the tubing leaving the pump on top of the processor?

Check with your AIO Software to see the speeds of both the pump and fan of your AIO system. Should be running at maximum if the processor's temperature are high.

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply.  I have started with Lian Li, as seeing that I/O temps seem to be equal, but radiator temps are room temp at one end and hot on the other points to a problem with circulation. 

If that doesn't net a solution I will proceed with the MB and CPU as potential issues. 

Not sure if the last response went through.  Lian Li sent me a new cooler, and my idle temps have dropped to 45C.  I think we have solved the problem!  Thank you!

0 Likes