Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

chiqchui
Adept I

my igpu has higher power consumption than dedicated gpu? help

specs: ryzen 9 7950x, msi b650 carbonm windows10 pro

my igpu is consuming 60watts just by browsing, watching youtube, tiktok, and general media browsing. i even tried to lower my monitor resolution from 1080p to 1366x768 but still consuming alot

because my gtx1660(which i sold sadly) was only using 15w-20w while doing minimal task. im using latest adrenalin(no software, just basic driver), and using latest chipset and bios

is it possible to undervolt igpu? maybe 50-70% power limit? what would be the easiest procedure? thank you for your any insights!

0 Likes
4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Guess so, never really investigated into this and I might just disable iGPU.

Took some snaps with the polling rate to minimum and its close.

Yellow CPU Power
Green "supposedly" iGPU Power
Red what the board is sending to the CPU

Since this is an interesting topic, I'll dig into it a bit. This values were at idle and the dGPU was taking less than 10watts.

I have the 7950X as well.

johnnyenglish_0-1711412854427.png

The Englishman
0 Likes
alien_i_am
Adept I

No it has not. iGPU Readout in HWinfo / LibreHardwareInfo is just exactly the same like your normal PPT Readout for the whole CPU Package Power from your CPU.

In easy words, your CPU Package Power Readout = iGPU Wattage Readout. So when you browse, your CPU Wattage goes up, and your igpu readout goes up too, but is not using "extra" more Wattage at all.

I am sure you found out about this somewhere else and i just write this in here because my OCD kicked in and google made your ForumEntry here, one of the TOP Findings when you search for "disabling igpu to lower idle power draw" something like that.

And before "others" get panic attacks too, they find the answer of the WHY quicker.

Not sure if thats for me but allow me to correct you.

The two images on the right are from independent monitors, to validate the CPU and iGPU alone (I won't discard bad software readings just yet).

The one on the right is from the VRM total going to supposedly the CPU (reading from mother board sensor not from CPU), and shows double, which is weird but we can account for polling rate issues, losses and other things.

As soon as i disable iGPU the readout from VRM dropped to near (this word is key) the values of the left image, CPU values and obviously the iGPU tab of adrenalin was gone.

I can't say for 100% whats going on but you theory is also not so correct, as long as the iGPU is being used, it has a power draw of its own, as it should, even if its dilluted in the PPT.

The Englishman
0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

chiqchui, please download and install AMD's software and post a screenshot of Adrenalin. John.

0 Likes