Adept I

fTMP and Secure Boot causes Blue Screen, winload.efi error

Hello

My Setup is:

ASUS TUF B450-plus gaming

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

64GB Ram

Nvidia Rtx 3060

I have tried to enable fTPM in my BIOS, but my windows installation shows a bluescreen when i try to boot it (I am Using Secure Boot - UEFI):

Bluescreen.jpg

An unexpected I/O error has ocurred.

File: \windows\system32\winload.efi

Error code: 0xc00000e9

I have already tried many things, including reinstalling the BIOS. I even installed the lowest possible BIOS for my mainboard, which was v.2807, as older ones were not recognized and then installed all version leading up to the newest one, one by one.

It didnt change.

I also tried installing windows again, but even the Bootable installer USBs have the same Bluescreen.

How can i get Secure boot and fTMP to run at the same time here? I really need your help on this one.

Just for some more context. On some day the bluescreen randomly started appearing, after years of this windows install running (About 4 years).

0 Likes
6 Replies

Found this previous AMD Thread with a similar B450 Motherboard with the same Bluescreen error Oxe9: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/bsod-on-boot-when-amd-ftpm-is-enabled-in-bios/td-p/155436

According to Microsoft BS error 0xE9 is: Error: Code 0xE9 - The ACTIVE_EX_WORKER_THREAD_TERMINATION bug check has a value of 0x000000E9. This indicates that an active executive worker thread is being terminated.

Found this tech article on how to fix Bluescreen error 0xE9 with several good troubleshooting tips: https://mspoweruser.com/0x000000e9-active-ex-worker-thread-termination/

What Causes 0x000000E9 ACTIVE_EX_WORKER_THREAD_TERMINATION Error

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) issues stem from either faulty hardware or software problems. Hardware problems could include overheating or bad memory. On the other hand, software issues can be timing inconsistencies, driver conflicts, and operating system corruption. 

Software-related BSODs don’t always block desktop access. Updates can also trigger processing failures at different times, disrupting normal computer use.

Here is another good tech site with similar troubleshooting tips on your Bluescreen error: https://www.errorvault.com/en/troubleshooting/blue-screen-errors/microsoft/windows/error-0xe9_active...

Causes of ACTIVE_EX_WORKER_THREAD_TERMINATION - Error 0xE9

BSODs are generally caused either by faulty hardware or software corruption. Hardware failure can be caused by overheating, power supply issues, incompatibilities or bad memory.

On the other hand, software related BSODs are results of timing inconsistency, driver incompatibility and operating system corruption. Not all software related BSODs stop you from accessing your desktop. When you receive an update that messes up your computer, you will experience processing failures at different instances while accessing your computer.

Repair Methods

Repairing BSODs can be a bit tricky, as they can be caused by many different reasons, but once you properly identify the problem, the steps are mostly straightforward. Here are known troubleshooting techniques you can try to help get rid of your Blue Screen error.

You should follow these four steps before attempting any repair method:

• Take note of the error code and other information that was displayed when you got the Blue Screen.
  • Try to recall the last action you did on your computer before the error occurred.
  • Remove peripherals that are not critical to normal operations.
  • Reboot your computer to check if you can log into your desktop.

NOTE:

Run MEMTEST86 to make sure none of your RAM sticks are defective.

I would remove all RAM sticks except for one RAM stick and see if the BSOD issue is resolved. If you are able to enter Windows run CHKDSK /f/r to see if your Windows drive is defective or not.

Disconnect everything from your motherboard except the PSU, GPU, Windows Drive, Monitor, & Keyboard and mouse and see if your BSOD goes away or not.

0 Likes

I have already tried their solution. I uninstalled all the ASUS programs. The thing is ... ive tred to install windows anew. And since the New install is as clean as you can get it. I know that it has to be an issue with my BIOS.

0 Likes

Let me see if I understand what is going on.

When in BIOS when you enabled fTPM and try to install Windows 11 it gets the Blue screen error correct? So in another words you are not able to run Windows 11 installer at all since it crashes to the blue screen error when fTPM is enabled.

Can you boot into Windows Desktop with fTPM and Secured Boot enabled without trying to install Windows 11 first or does it also Blue Screen as soon as fTPM is enabled.

If you are able to boot into your normal Windows desktop with fTPM and Secure boot enabled then try an In-Place Windows upgrade by going to MS Windows 11 website and clicking on install while on the desktop or run the USB Windows Installer while in Windows Desktop and see if you get the Blue Screen of Death: Microsoft Windows 11 Download 

Make sure your Windows drive is a GPT Partitioned Drive and not a MBR Partitioned drive.  MBR Partitioned Windows drive won't boot up within a pure UEFI BIOS mode only in Legacy Mode.

Before installing the below BIOS version 3205 make sure you first update your AMD CHIPSET to the latest version from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am4/b450.html  otherwise the BIOS might not work correctly.

I assume you have installed this BIOS version that automatically sets BIOS for Windows 11, correct:

TUF B450-PLUS GAMING BIOS 3205
Version 3205
10.65 MB
2021/08/05

Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS.

When you installed this BIOS version without any BIOS changes you still got the Blue Screen error when trying to run the Windows11 installer

One way to eliminate the 2600X if you can borrow another processor that is compatible with your motherboard and BIOS version installed,at least a 3000 series or newer processor, and see if you have the same issue.

I would open a ASUS CHAT SUPPORT ticket and see what they recommend if you hadn't done that yet.

Also open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html  and see what they recommend. Most likely to contact Asus or update your BIOS would be my guess.

NOTE: I was going to suggest you install Windows 11 on your Windows drive by connecting your SSD/HDD to another computer and installing Windows 11 and then connecting the Windows drive to your computer to see if it BSOD or boots into Windows or connecting different SSD/HDD with Windows 11 installed already and see if the issue persists or not.

0 Likes

The thing is, when i enable fTPM in my BIOS all of my windows installs stop working. The 4 year old one, the official bootable usb installer, and even Hirens Boot cd.

I have tried the BIOS version 3205 but it doesnt change anything so i just updated to the most current one again.

sounds like either a defective processor or possibly motherboard.

Best way to check the processor is by installing it on another compatible computer and see if the same thing occurs. If it does then the processor seems to have gone bad. If it doesn't then it must be the motherboard.

If your processor is less then 3 years old you can still RMA under AMD Warranty or have the processor checked at a computer store or you check it yourself in another computer.

By any chance does the Motherboard show any Trouble LEDs lit up or Digital codes showing when it crashes?

Like does the MoBo Trouble LED for the CPU stay lit up when it crashes or when booting up?

0 Likes

I've tried everything and given up, the only solution is to buy a TPM module for the motherboard.
The cause of the problem is that FTPM goes into DA lockout mode due to improper shutdown or power outage and it doesn't come out of it even if you use the TPM clear function. I tried AMD support and they blamed Microsoft without even listening to me even though the problem is also occurring on Linux. This only seems to occur on Ryzen 2x00 and I think they should remove the CPU from the Windows 11 support list since their TPM bug won't be fixed.