cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

seajayshome
Adept I

BSOD on boot when AMD fTPM is enabled in BIOS

If I disable TPM in the BIOS, my PC boots perfectly normally, using GPT and UEFI. If I enable AMD fTPM however it immediately goes to BSOD shown below when booting Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363)

I tried wiping the TPM settings in BIOS, but this has made no difference.

I've updated AMD chipset drivers to latest here for my motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus Pro B450 1.0) 
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450 

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor.

Recovery
There was a problem with a device connected to your PC
An unexpected I/O error has occurred.
File: \windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc00000e9

errorbluescreen.jpg

Tags (3)
28 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: BSOD on boot when AMD fTPM is enabled in BIOS

This Tech site gives some good troubleshooting tips to fix Winload.efi BSOD errors: FIX: Steps to Fix Winload.EFI Error - Appuals.com 

Just don't download their "Recommended" software which is a scam. But the tips are valid.

From above link:,

Method 1: Disable Secure Boot

If you have a UEFI based computer instead of the old traditional BIOS, then the issue can be caused by a certain setting in UEFI called Secure Boot. It can stop your system from accessing the winload.efi file causing this error to appear. Windows 8 and later versions have this feature enabled by default.

Method 2: Repair Boot Record

To repair boot record, we will repair the files required by Windows to boot, which includes the file winload.efi.

Windows 8/8.1/10

To start W8/8.01 and 10 in Repair Mode, see steps here.

In the advanced option click Command Prompt.

Once the command prompt’s black window appears, type the following commands and press Enter after each line.

bootrec /fixbootbootrec /scanosbootrec /fixmbrbootrec /rebuildbcd

After the commands have executed successfully, restart your system and check if the issue’s still there.

Method 3: Using the BCDBoot Utility

Use the above given method to reach the Command prompt from start-up repair, once in command prompt, proceed with the steps below.

1. type diskpart and press Enter.
  2. Type list volume and press Enter.
  3. Under the label row, find the label System Reserved and note its corresponding Volume number.
  4. Now type select Volume=N and press Enter, where N is the Volume number you noted earlier.
  5. Now type assign letter=w and press Enter.
  6. Type exit and press Enter.
  7. Type bcdboot c:\Windows /s w: /f uefi and press Enter.

Now restart your system and check. If the issue is still not resolved, proceed to Method 4.

Method 4: Disabling Anti Malware Protection

1. Power on your system, then forcefully shut it down when you see the Windows logo. Repeat the process a few times until you get the Recovery screen.
  2. Click See advanced repair options.
  3. Then click on Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
  4. Click Startup settings in Advanced Options.
  5. In the startup settings screen, click on Restart.
  6. Startup Settings menu will appear after restart.
  7. Now press 8 on your keyboard. Your windows will launch with anti-malware disabled only for this session.

From Microsoft concerning your BSOD Error 0XE9:

Bug Check 0xE9: ACTIVE_EX_WORKER_THREAD_TERMINATION

The ACTIVE_EX_WORKER_THREAD_TERMINATION bug check has a value of 0x000000E9. This indicates that an active executive worker thread is being terminated.

0 Likes
seajayshome
Adept I

Thanks for that - yes I'd tried all those already when I was panicking thinking I'd broken my PC. 

Unfortunately none of them fixed the issue - I was on the verge of thinking I'd need to reinstall Windows, when I decided I would reset BIOS to defaults - when I did that I could boot up normally.

By a process of elimination in switching on things in the BIOS, I then tracked it down to be enabling AMD fTPM - that then causes it to BSOD immediately on boot.  Switch it off and it works perfectly.

Unfortunately none of the above things helped with that.

elstaci
MVP

I suggest you open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and asked them why that specifiy UEFI Settings is causing your computer to BSOD from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Also Gigabyte Support which created the UEFI/BIOS for your motherboard. Possibly a defective Motherboard or corrupted UEFI installed.

Found this thread at a tech site concerning fTPM: cpu - AMD fTPM - What does this firmware option do? - Super User

"fTPM" is a type of TPM that's implemented in system firmware instead of using a dedicated chip.

The TPM is a tamper-resistant "secure element" used to hold cryptographic keys (including smartcard certificates and BitLocker credentials). BitLocker mainly uses it for the system disk, since the TPM can provide passwordless unlocking while still resisting external attacks (i.e. it seals the encryption key with the current system state). Without a TPM, you would have to unlock the system disk using a password, a recovery key, or a USB stick on every reboot.

This doesn't apply so much to data disks, since Windows is already fully running once they're accessed, it can provide automatic unlocking without a TPM by simply storing the data disk's password in your Windows account. (And obviously it doesn't affect unlocking with a password.)

The most likely reasons you need to disable the (f)TPM before upgrading firmware are:

1. System firmware is part of the aforementioned "current system state". If you upgrade it, anything that was previously sealed against it would be unusable; e.g. if you used BitLocker with a TPM, you would need to use the recovery key. Some manufacturers insist that the TPM be manually disabled to serve as a reminder to the user that they'll need other means of unlocking the system disk.

2. It's relatively common practice to force all secrets to be erased before a firmware upgrade can happen, also called "insider attack resistance". Because the fTPM is part of system firmware, upgrading it can become a security risk – if the new firmware is buggy or backdoored, it may bypass the protections that were supposed to be provided; e.g. it might conveniently "forget" to check system state before releasing the keys. I don't know if "disabling" fTPM erases its contents, but if it does, it would be a very likely explanation.

By the way, Really good troubleshooting in finding the one UEFI Settings being the cause of your BSODs!!

galan
Adept I

Bro, I got the same order problem right now. I haven’t found any solution to enable ftpm and boot windows. If you have found any, answer me please. Thanks. 

0 Likes
seajayshome
Adept I

No so far no solution.   Don't want to have to completely reinstall windows.  Waiting at the moment for the Win10 2004 update to land (at the moment it's not available for my PC), just in case once that installs it makes any difference.

seajayshome
Adept I

Just for reference I also raised a support call with AMD - they responded with this:

This seems like bug with AGESA patch, I will make a note of this and bring to eng team attention for further investigation.

Please wait for future BIOS updates and check the status.

0 Likes
galan
Adept I

I solved it, reinstall or update your bios. Get an usb drive and install the latest bios version for your motherboard. If you already have installed, simply reinstall it. It worked for me. Hope for you too.

seajayshome
Adept I

Oh Wow!  This worked - thanks!  I already had the latest motherboard BIOS version installed, and I had previously tried using the "Reset BIOS to defaults" to clear it, but that didn't work.

However - as you said, reinstalling the BIOS firmware (even though it was exactly the same version!) has fixed it - now able to enable fTPM in BIOS, and booting straight into windows with no BSOD and can confirm fTPM is working in windows as well!  Thanks!

0 Likes
seajayshome
Adept I

AArrghh!!!  Well I thought it worked (indeed it did work) - but only for one boot.  After restarting my PC, somehow it had disabled fTPM again, and when I restarted it, back to the BSOD above...   Had to disable it again to get it to boot up.  Obviously something with the BIOS is not right... will have to wait for a revised BIOS version I think.

0 Likes