Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

paez17
Adept II

Black screen problem after 5900x upgrade

hi all. 

i was using 3700x with msi b450 tomahawk max. 

gpu: 6800xt

psu: fsp aurum 1200w. 

this system never gave an error for for 5 weeks and then i decided to upgrade cpu.

after msi released 5000 series  bios for 450 chipsets and flashed my bios and changede my cpu. there was no problem while first boot.

i benchmarked system with stress tests to measure stability then first black screen came when time spy extreme graphics test 2 is on. monitor lose signal and goes to sleep. all lights are on. power button doesnt work and i should power off the computer by psu on off button. 

first of all i thought it was a xmp profile and ram issue, cause i'd never get a reboot or bsod. pc goes into sleep and cant boot again, it sounded like a ram issue. i cleared cmos, tried using rams at 2400mhz (actually they are 3600) and got same black screen somewhere again. 

yesterday was fine, with no xmp, rams at 2400 mhz, it was stable for 15 hours. i tried lots of games, no black screen. then i tried to change power plan (high to ultimate) and black screen occured again. i turned back to high or balanced power plan but nothing seems changed. 

now red dead redemption 2 is my benchmark game, when playing rdr2 it oftenly gives black screen in first 5 minutes. after i searched for a solution, i saw lots of people had same problem (bsod,black screen) and tried their solution about turning off pbo and cpb. now cpu is 3700mhz all the time. and when i run rdr2 i got no black screens, no issues.  

when pbo and cpb was on i stressed cpu many times under full load. it boosted to 4950 mhz sometimes (it should 4800) and never gave an error while stressing. temps are ok (water cooled). 

so is this a cpu issue or is this a unstable bios issue i cant understand. if cpu i'll return it, if bios maybe i can wait for new bios while using it on 3700 mhz. 

and help and new ideas are welcomed. thank you. ,

p.s: i got no entries in event viewer cause i dont get bsod. it says unexpected shut down etc. no meaningful error code is generated. 

0 Likes
7 Replies
paez17
Adept II

if anyone has same issue,  after putting +0.05v to NB/SoC voltage in offset mode the black screens gone. 

nearly 2 hours rdr2 and alot of stress tests no black screen.

it was bios not cpu. 

Fantastic info.  Thank you.

0 Likes
EvolutionX
Journeyman III

In Windows 11h2 works fine, but in Windows 24h2 not work. I trying with 0.06280, black screen stoped, but wifi has a bug.  

0 Likes

EvolutionX, with no information it is not even possible to guess. List all your parts and the Event Viewer error Critical and Details tab. Did you install a fresh copy of W11, including formatting the C: disk, if not please do. Stay out of BIOS and do a Clear CMOS. John.

0 Likes
mydg
Journeyman III

Is your bios version up to date?

0 Likes
EvolutionX
Journeyman III

I have the version 3607 for B550m Plus. 

0 Likes