cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

SmokuZnadPotoku
Journeyman III

AMD RYZEN 9 7950X - Idle temperature is high (70C-80C)

Hi everyone.

I don't know what's going on but recently my CPU gets crazy temperatures. I mean, they always were at least 60 in idle but never 80.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI

RAM: Corsair 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MHz CL40 Vengeance RGB AMD Expo - DDR5

Cooling: Lian Li Galahad 360 ARGB V2 3x120mm

During the stress test it reached at most about 85C, which is just 5 higher than my idle. That's looking like my PC is running in stress all the time but it shouldn't be like that. I didn't OC anything, I updated BIOS recently, all settings are default, I don't know what's wrong

1.jpg

0 Likes
21 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

SmokuZnadPotoku, sounds like there is a problem with your cooler. Did you remove the plastic shield from the cold block? Are the mounting screws tight? What speeds are the pump and fans running? Are your AMD drivers from here? Thanks for the Ryzen Master (RM) screenshots but the next time post the Advanced View so we can see what all  cores are doing. Thanks, John.

Hi, thank you for your fast response.

- Yes, I removed the plastic shield

- Yes, I checked the screws today earlier

- AIO is running on 3300 RPM, CPU Fan 1000 RPM, and some other FANs 600 RPM

- I downloaded the AMD drivers for everything using the website as you said, and I think it helped mostly

But I still think that it's not ideal. I wonder if the problem is with my Mobo and RAM, which are not working fine together. The previous temperatures where running high when I set my RAM to EXPO in BIOS but when I changed to default settings again, the temperatures seems to be normal.

(Overall I've read about my Mobo and DDR 5 on this Mobo, and many people complain that it's not working properly, so maybe it causes the issues)

These temperatures are way better (on regular BIOS settings, without EXPO), it's for sure but I wonder whether they're fine or if they should be still lower

Also I don't know if I should run EXPO or not(overall I would prefer to use 6000 MHz on my RAM instead of 4800)

Without EXPO - standard viewWithout EXPO - standard viewWithout EXPO - Advanced ViewWithout EXPO - Advanced ViewWithout EXPO - Profile ViewWithout EXPO - Profile View

AIOAIOCPU FanCPU FanSome normal FansSome normal Fans

0 Likes

Thanks, SmokuZnadPotoku, good screenshots. What is your ambient temperature? I run my pump and all my fans on 12 Volts from the power supply. I would not think that Expo should effect temperatures so much. If you have XMP available, try that. What is your power supply? Make sure all your fans are running properly. Lian Li has a very good reputation. Is your case also Lian Li? Is your radiator at the top? Make sure all radiator fans are clear and running full speed for a test. Run all fans full speed also. How large are the slow turning fans? John.

0 Likes

Hi again.

- Ambient temperature is normal, about 26C I'd guess, I keep my windows open almost always

- Unfortunately I have only EXPO I, EXPO II and EXPO Tweaked, I don't have XMP Profile

- Power Supply is: Corsair HX1500i 1500W 80 Plus Platinum

- All the fans are running correctly, I'm 100% sure about it

- Yes, my case is also Lian Li, and the radiator is at the top

- I cleared them already this morning before updating BIOS

- Those are the normal fans: Lian Li UNI FAN SL-INF 120 ARGB PWM Triple Pack 3x120mm

I'm really pretty sure it has to do something with DDR 5 and EXPO profile. Without it CPU has about 60C (which is still too much for me, I've heard people are running 40-50C - could you please confirm what are the normal temperatures for it?), and with EXPO my CPU has about 70C in idle

0 Likes

Thanks, SmokuZnadPotoku. There is no 'Normal' temperature but yours do seem high. I still think an experiment with all fans and pump on full spreed is worth doing before RMAing your AIO. Please post screenshots of RM (Advanced view) running Cinebench R24 Multicore and at idle. Also running Cinebench Multicore with Expo enabled. Thanks, John.

Nevermind, already found out but can't delete the comment here.

Will post the results soon.

0 Likes

Good luck (-:

0 Likes

Ach whatever, Cinebench R24 doesn't even want to launch, it just loads infinitely. I will just throw this useless CPU along with this whole pathetic computer out of the window, I have no patience for this useless garbage

Also for some reason temp raised to 70 in idle even though I DIDNT CHANGE ANYTHING

0 Likes

Had to do it on Cinebench R23, because R24 didn't load for some reason. I'm sending the results in the screenshots. Also it's worth mentioning that with EXPO at the beginning it was much much better, it just started slowing down with the time

Also when I enabled EXPO, my BIOS time was about 30s, without EXPO it's 10s, maybe it's worth mentioning
Witohut Expo.pngCinebench no expo.pngEXPO.pngCnb EXPO.png

0 Likes

Thanks, SmokuZnadPotoku, I will spend some time looking at this soon. A few quick questions, have you had any crashes? What does R24 do when it won't load. Please post a screenshot if there is anything to see. What OS are you using? What does this mean "my BIOS time was about 30s,"? Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Hi,

- Yes and no. The computer works fine, it just gets higher temps but nothing besides that. But when I was running on EXPO settings for RAM, there were some random moments where it didn't want to launch and had to be restarded - that's why I'm pretty sure it has to do something with RAM (or Motherboard)

- R24 just stays at loading screen (last phase) infinitely, I don't think there's a need to post a screenshot

- Windows 10 Home Edition (updated regularly)

- By BIOS time I meant the time it takes from the power on button to when it starts loading windows. With all standard settings in BIOS, it takes about 10s to launch Windows, but with EXPO enabled for CPU, it took 30s

0 Likes

Thanks, SmokuZnadPotoku. The extra time when booting is probably due to memory training. This should go down after a few more boots. In the future do not post SSs of Cinebench. Seen them a thousand times, just like to see the score. I cannot tell what SS above is with and without EXPO. All I have seen so far is that your AIO is bad. Please do the experiment with all fans and the pump at FULL SPEED. Contact your AIO (NOW) vendor and arrange an RMA.

Where did you download your copy of Cinebench R24? Please post the File Hashes for the installer. John.

0 Likes

Hi, regarding the scores:

- standard settings - 27173

- with EXPO - 27255, which is just slightly higher than on standard settings. It was about 30000 at the beginning of the test but till the end it stabilized to about 27000

Also:

- Pump was and always is on full speed during all tests, overall during the tests all fans were at full speed

- I downloaded it from the producer's site, maxon that is

Two questions from me - why are you so sure that it is AIO fault? As I said, I always had issues with my RAM running on EXPO in BIOS, maybe it's faulty RAM or Mobo.

Also, maybe the AIO is working fine but it's just not installed properly and I'm not fully aware of it - therefore the question is, if I post images of my PC (how it looks exactly inside), would it help with something?

0 Likes

SmokuZnadPotoku, I do not think images will help but please post them. Which of the two RM images you posted is with EXPO? The yellow color (also red) of the temperature meter says the processor is throttling due to temperature. Ryzen has lowered the clocks to try to lower the temperature. This is what is throttling the processor. Your processor is running at a much lower clock than it is capable of. John.

0 Likes

I just recorded short video, although I think you're right, probably it wouldn't tell too much. I am also posting the screenshots again, this time I'll make sure to name them but overall the order is following:
Standard RM, Standard Cinebench, EXPO RM, EXPO Cinebench

Okay, I understand why Ryzen lowered the clock. And yes, I've definitely heard throttling. Sometimes I hear it even during normal use of computer

NO EXPONO EXPONO EXPONO EXPOWITH EXPOWITH EXPOWITH EXPOWITH EXPO

0 Likes

Thanks, SmokuZnadPotoku Please go to the Thaiphoon site and get a copy of the free Burner program. Run it and post a screenshot. I really think you need a new cooler. When you contact the vendor, see if they will send it before receiving the old on. You could still remove it and see if all is well, correct any problems and put it back on and see if it works better. Uninstall Cinebench R23, download and fresh copy from here and install it and see if it runs OK. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Hi, thank you

I am very sorry but I don't know how to run this Thaiphoon program at all

SmokuZnadPotoku_0-1728902501808.png

I have DDR5 RAM  but it allows be to check only DDR4 or DRR3. I really don't know what should I choose and how to run this program at all. Could you please navigate me through this program and tell me what should I do here exactly?

Regarding AIO - I could remove it and check it manually, but the problem is I'm afraid I will just mess it up and break it (even more)

And with regard to Cinebench - I already tried downloading R24 using the site you linked me (the official maxon site) but as I said, it just loads infinitely and stucks in the loading screen

0 Likes

OK, SmokuZnadPotoku. Lets forget about Thaiphoon. I hope you did not pay for the copy you got. I intended for you to get the FREE version (read only, NOT write). I was curious what Expo was setting for your memory. We can attempt that later. For now, please contact your AIO vendor for an RMA. I recommend you leave Expo OFF for now. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Hi, no worries, I didn't buy anything. And yes, I'm running without EXPO for now, since with EXPO the computer is almost out of use because of high temperatures. I already contacted Lian Li support and will let you know about their feedback as soon as I got any news from them.

0 Likes

OK, SmokuZnadPotoku, thanks. Forget about Thaiphoon burner. I Dled it and there is something wrong with it. Since it has not been updated in a while, I assume it is a lost cause. Sorry, John.

0 Likes

I would open a Lian Li  Support ticket to see if you have a defective CPU AIO Cooler. It is possible you may have a partial blockage or the pump is not really circulating liquid even though it is running at its desire speed.

Could also be poor air circulation inside your PC case. You can check this by removing the side panel of your PC case and see if, on average, your CPU temperatures are a little bit cooler than normal.

I would reset BIOS back to default either doing a CMOS CLEAR or through BIOS itself and then just configure your RAM (EXPO or XMP) whichever one your Motherboard supports for your RAM part number.

EDIT: At Lian Li webpage for your AIO CPU Cooler it mentions you can reposition the Water Block on the CPU. Maybe the Water Block is not well positioned on the CPU and not making good contact with the CPU lid: https://lian-li.com/product/galahad-240-360/

I would look at the website video on how to install the AIO on a AMD CPU but I would still open a Lian Li Support Ticket.