cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

Crosby05
Adept I

XFX Radeon 6650 XT

Hi guys, is AB350-Gaming motherboard (Gigabyte) compatible with Radeon 6650 XT? I just bought a new 6650 XT to upgrade my 1080p setup, but it just doesn't work. When I connect it, the pc doesn't want to turn on. I don't think the problem is the power supply (700W). Can someone help me? I'm desperate..

0 Likes
8 Replies
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Are you running the most current Bios for your MB? Can you post the rest of the specs of your PC and any troubleshooting you've already done?

Cheers

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes

Okay, so:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 

RAM: 16 GB DDR4

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350-Gaming

GPU:  Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 (of course, the older one)

SSD: Samsung MZVLQ256HBJD-00BH1 (don't know if there's a shorter name..256 GB)

Power supply: 700W. Don't remember the name..if it is compulsory I will do my best to give it.

I updated the BIOS to the most recent version, but nothing changed. As soon as I connect the 8 PCIe slot, the PC doesn't turn on. But I'm sure the GPU is read by the pc, because it has the small red light on..

0 Likes
kn100
Adept I

Are you connecting the power connector to the GPU? Are you plugging it in the whole way?

My next suspicion would be the PSU. Just because it claims 700w doesn't mean it actually is. Is it a quality PSU?

Do any of your friends have rigs where they'd let you test the graphics card in? Perhaps the graphics card is DOA.

0 Likes

The first two questions: yes. I really tried everything, believe me. The PSU is an iTek, the model is: Rebel 700M.

Today I'm trying the GPU on my friend's pc, and then I will have the final answer.

FunkZ
Grandmaster

Are you installing the card in the top red PCIe slot closest to the CPU? It is labeled PCIEX16. Make sure you are not using the bottom red PCIe slot labeled PCIEX4.

Also the GTX 1050 does not require external power, it is a low power card that draws less than 75W from the PCIe slot. However the 6650XT reference card requires an additional 8-pin PCIe power cable from the power supply. Make sure you are using an 8-pin (or 6+2-pin) cable labeled PCIe and not a 8-pin (or 4+4-pin CPU) cable.

Do you have the extra cable connected and has this ever been tested before on your power supply?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

I have the extra cable connected, of course, but I have never tested it before, this is the first time. I don't want to believe that the cable is damaged, atm. Monday I will try the GPU on another pc and then I will know what to do. And yes, I put it in the slot closest to CPU.

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Also, is the power cable the one that came with your PSU, or is it aftermarket? Lots of cables are PSU specific and are not interchangeable with other brands. I ran into that when I needed a longer cable for my GPU.

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes

Yes, I mean, I can't be 100% sure because the pc was already assembled when I bought it, but the cable should be the one that came with PSU. It's very similar to the others. The old GPU runs very well with that cable, so I don't think that's the problem..

0 Likes