cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

SmokerX
Journeyman III

RX480 DisplayPort to composite Plug adapters SOLVED

Im trying to convince a RX480 reference card to dual monitor a toshiba 50H81 rear screen projector television. The rear screen projector will accept composite RCA, while an RX480 reference has 1 HDMI out and 3 display port out. So my setup to complete this is a DP to HDMI adapter to a MINI HDMI to composite RCA or (AV).

RESULTS: when the computer fires up the 50H81(television) displays the bios screen on the tv across the adapters. But once windows loads, the MINI reports no signal and window will not recognize a second monitor is connected on the DP port.

If the RX480  HDMI out is "hot swapped" into the MINI, it displays the single monitor.

CONCLUSIONS: If the bios screen is mirrored across the adapters, then i'd think it should just keep doing that when windows loads, instead of shutting off the signal. Im not sure if the DP to HDMI converter is active or passive or if this would cause an issue. At this point I think the 3 DP ports on the RX480 are just about worthless and vaporware. Although the composite connectors are out dated tech. I wonder if 2 HDMI ports on an RX480 would have fixed this issue, since it involves a single HDMI to RCA converter. Instead of some DP port vapor ware.

This was an issue the EPA faced with vehicles and OBD1 being a bunch of random plug designs they couldnt interface with for smog and safety inspections before mandating(by law) a single connector called OBD2 and was an issue with cell phone manufacture until 2016, when a single cell phone plug interface was just about mandated(I dont know the specifics. and its something APPLE has refused to play along with.)

WHY?: because I can. The rear projection tv works and I use it for the speaker components across the motherboards audio ports to RCA out to amps to more speakers. So I would like to continue to use it for its screen display, also. But cant.

Basically Im sitting here feeling pretty burnt right now by AMD and their video cards out of about 20 bucks and all my hopes and dreams of using that display are dashed and Im not sure if its AMD or Windows to lay my final blame on.

UPDATE: ...and somehow I got it to work.. The DP to HDMI connector, plugged in alone, without the HDMI cable gave the alert to windows that a new device was installed. I checked the windows device manager and it says 2 displays are now detected. NOW. I plug in the HDMI cable to the HDMI to RCA and its now converting the HDMI signal to AV and Im staring at a mirrored monitor.

DP-""a digital display interface developed by a consortium of PC and chip manufacturers and standardized by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA)." It is backward compatible with other interfaces"

AMD "finewine"

UPDATE2: I power cycled it to see if it will repower without having to setup both monitors every time I power cycle and it did not repower with both monitors and I can not recreate the unique steps that gives me 2 monitors, so Im back to no signal, but windows supposedly recognizes a second monitor as a generic non pnp monitor in device manager. I think we're making strides here, beyond basic "ive never owned a computer in my life and discovered electricity in my 20's when i saw a light bulb" tier tech. support such as: did you update driver? is your cable securely installed? Welp I give up. This now needs to be upgraded to windows or AMD fixes THEIR issues and sends me an updated driver or windows update.

UPDATER3: FINAL SOLVE: Ok, I figured out the exact list of steps it takes to solve this issue on the other side. What I am doing is plugging in my main monitor through the RX480 HDMI port and loading windows. Once Im into windows. I unplug my HDMI cable to my main monitor and plug that into the DP to HDMI adaptor and plug that into a DP port. This spoofs the windows device manager into recognizing a second generic PnP monitor. So windows device manager thinks I have 2 vizio flatscreens plugged in it recognizes. Now I switch back the vizio flatscreen into the HDMI port and plug the HDMI port to the Toshiba into to what windows thinks is the 2nd VIZIO flat screen and Im in. The problem is, is I have to do this every time I restart my computer and will have to reconfigure all of the monitor settings each time I log in. Someone needs to get AMD on the phone or windows.

P.S. I didnt actually expect any of you to solve that. I saw similar issues and people giving up and came here to more or less document what happens in real tech. support situations and how the pro's do it.

ALSO: I will literally hand solder surface mount caps into your hyper modules. You can not stop me. I am unstoppable.

ALSO: This work around of spoofing a monitor only drives the video component, not the sound components so its a good thing its the only thing im trying to drive. Because recognizing it in windows sound settings is a completely different issue and looks unspoofable. BUT, you can convert 3.5mm jack into the sound components of RCA using a 3.5mm jack to RCA converter, then run that off your mother boards sound ports. Specifically the "front speaker" port and you have all the components of component recognized in windows 2022.

0 Likes
3 Replies
SmokerX
Journeyman III

I deleted the AMD driver 30.0.13023.4001 and rolled it all the way back to a windows basic driver and suddenly my PC starts powering up with both monitors working and recognized as a single generic PNP monitor. Proving, to me this is AMD's fault and could be fixed in the driver. How do I order a support ticket? Because Im down the street. Now fix your drivers.

0 Likes
SmokerX
Journeyman III

I have spoofed my devices so hard windows display settings is now convinced I have 2 monitors plugged in to the same port. I also tried to turn off device discovery in the windows administrative tools, services, to use as a tool for monitor spoofing and cant figure out the service doing that. I also tested Radeon software to see if I can use it to over ride the spoofed resolutions and set it to native setting, but it did more harm than good by updating my graphics drivers to more bugged and broken drivers.

0 Likes
SmokerX
Journeyman III

What am I supposed to do? AMD refuses to do tech support and fix their drivers. You want me to go in there and fix my own driver? This aint fine wine. These guys arent even good with computer. Like I said they discovered electricity in their 20's when they saw a light bulb. SAD, many such cases.

0 Likes