Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

TarsusXII
Adept I

GPU not being utilized while gaming

Gigabyte B550 with 3600x CPU

RX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra 

After a recent windows update (10/29/21) whenever I launch a game, no matter the platform, I get 2 FPS. When I run monitoring software I see the GPU utilization is at sub 5%. CPU is not bottlenecked.
 I’ve

- update all drivers with a clean sweep and reinstall.

-I’ve updated the bios.

- I’ve turned all power saving option off.
- turned vsync off

- closed all other apps while launch games

-  device manager shows all updated drivers. 
- clean install of Adrenalin 

- Designated lane and Gen for PCIe slot due to the use of a riser cable  

It affects all games, both steam and origin based. 
I ran cinebench and it performed perfectly during benchmark but with games it never gets above 5-10 percent utilization. I’m stumped so any help or suggestions are welcome  

0 Likes
18 Replies

before the Windows Update was everything working normally as far a FPS?

Also why are you using a Riser instead of having the GPU card in the motherboard's PCIe Slot?

Rider cable is half looks half thermals. It’s a tight case so it helps with airflow. FPS and performance in-game was fine prior to recent update. 

You can try to uninstall the Windows Update that is affecting your games temporarily until you find out the reason for the poor performance.

Maybe restore you computer before the Windows update if possible.

But if it is one of the Windows Updates that can't be uninstalled then you should open a Microsoft Support if it is the last Windows Update causing the issue and AMD Support ticket to see if it is a driver issue and see what they recommend.

Are you using Windows  10 or 11 as  your Operating System?

If you are using Windows 11, install the latest AMD CHIPSET and see if that makes a difference since it has the Windows 11 flaw for all AMD processors fixed plus the latest AMD Graphcis driver for your GPU card.

Currently running WIN 10

I rolled back both the windows update and the recent drivers that would be associated with graphics. I even did a timeline backup that was from 10/12/21 and the problem still persists. 

I'll keep in mind the suggestion of opening a Microsoft support ticket if the above solutions are not correct. 

My next venture is to remove the riser cable to see if that is causing and uneven power draw/delivery at low needs. If that doesn't work, I'll attempt to swap cards and or PSU to see if the problem is isolated to my particular hardware or if its CPU/Mobo based. Feel free to suggest any other solutions in the meantime. Thanks!

If you computer was working fine before the Windows Update that would eliminate any hardware issues unless something went bad by coincidence afterwards. Since all the changes that were made was software related. Uninstalling the last Windows Update should have restored your computer back to working conditions again.

By Timeline Backup you are referring to restoring a System Backup that you had before the problem started?

IF you did restore a System Backup on your computer it should be working like it was at the time of the System Backup.

If that is that case then it probably is some sort of hardware issue. I would look at the Riser cable first as  you mentioned. 

Have you tried to Stress test the GPU Card with the Riser and see if it shows  any abnormal readings during the testing? 

I like using and am a fan of OCCT Stress testing program but other Users have a problem with that specific diagnostic  test. OCCT you can check your PSU, CPU, and GPU. It also checks your GPU vRAM at the same time.

I'll try the OCCT test you mention. I've ran cinebench without changing any hardware and it seemed to perform just fine. At this point, I'm feeling like I need to eliminate the hardware variables just because I've tried most of the easily thought of software solutions. I really thought rolling back to a previous backup from earlier in the month would be the end all fix but it did nothing unfortunately. 

If it was a software issue restoring a System Backup would have fixed the problem. Since it didn't it sounds like a hardware issue has occurred.

System Backup restores your computer back to the exact condition it was when you created the  System Backup. I have used System Backup numerous times to resolved Windows or software issues.

I trust System Backup more than doing a Restore point. I use Restore Point for minor issues like a corrupt Windows Registry as an example.

If the Cinebench test ran successfully at least that indicates your GPU Card is not the problem. Unless it is overheating and throttling during gaming.

That is where a Stress Test like OCCT will show you. It will give you all sorts of data during the test. I would check the PSU Outputs (3.3/5.0/12.0v), Temperatures, Fan speeds, etc for anything abnormal.

On OCCT before running any test set the Global Temperature slightly above or below the Maximum Operating Temperature of your CPU. That way the test would stop once it reaches that Global Temperature.

EDIT: Just to check your Windows  OS for corruption or missing files run in a Elevated Command Prompt or Powershell the following simple command: SFC /scannow.

See if it come back with "No Integrity found" or something similar to that.

Also check Device Manager for any errors and run DXDIAG.exe and save the file. Then click on the saved DXDIAG file and go to the last category which will show you all the errors it has found. Do this after running a game that has very low FPS on it.

Both Device Manager and DXDIAG might direct you to the problem.

Also another good place to check is Windows Event Viewer under Errors. See if any has to do with your GPU or games.

So it looks like T did not fully revert back to a previous restore point. After hardware inspections and eliminating the riser cable, it seems that it being software is  more plausible. Forgive me for the slowness on my end. Just built this as my first PC about a year ago and Im mostly self taught in what i know about computers. This is what the commands provided.

Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 2257612720431704853, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Radeonsoftware.exe
P2: 10.1.2.1873
P3: 6125776e
P4: Qt5Qml.dll
P5: 5.14.1.0
P6: 5e7065bb
P7: c0000005
P8: 000000000016b3cc
P9:
P10:+++ WER1 +++:
Fault bucket 1550018110656977860, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1

Problem signature:
P1: destiny2.exe
P2: 33452.0.0.0
P3: 00000000
P4: 0000
P5: 67246080
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER2 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER3 +++:

Problem signature:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER4 +++:

Problem signature:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER5 +++:

Problem signature:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER6 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER7 +++:

Problem signature:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER8 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER9 +++:
Fault bucket 2160494554620974246, type 5

Problem signature:
P1: RadeonSoftware.exe
P2: 10.1.2.1884
P3: 615c7db5
P4: a47e
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

0 Likes

Just about all the errors concerns your AMD Graphics driver and the game Destiny 2. Beginning to sound like your current AMD Driver is not fully compatible with the current Windows Update or if that is the only game you play then the game itself might be having issues with the new Windows Update.

That is why I don't use Restore Points for anything major due to the fact it isn't 100% effective. Whereas System Backup is 100% effective.

Try installing the latest and previous AMD driver and see if it makes any difference:

Latest AMD Driver 10/29/2021: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-...

Previous AMD Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-s...

Try this and see if it helps or makes a difference. It is a fairly easy but a major troubleshooting step.

Do a In-Place Repair of Windows 10. All you have to do is run the same Windows 10 Installation version you currently have installed while on your desktop.

This will replace your Windows 10 folder with a new Windows folder but keep all of your 3rd party software and configurations in tack. It will create a Windows.old folder which you can delete using Windows "Disk Cleanup - System" or leave it and it will automatically be deleted after, I believe, 10 days. With Windows.old folder you can revert back to the original Windows 10 you had before doing a In-Place Repair.

You can do the In-Place repair either through Microsoft Windows 10 download page or using a Windows 10 Installation Flash drive or DVD disc.

Here is Microsoft Windows 10 download page and installation page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I know many Users have been having issues with AMD Drivers with the 5000 & 6000 Series GPU Cards. If none of the above works than I am out of ideas since I don't have that GPU card. Maybe another User can give their input if they have the same GPU card or having similar game issues.

You might want to open a AMD Service Request (AMD SUPPORT) and see what they say the problem can be: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

NOTE: All of the above will eliminate a corrupt Windows OS and possibly a AMD Driver issue.

By the way how did SFC /scannow come out in checking your Windows installation?.

I kind of have the same issue, I run a 2 gpu setup 5700xt and 6600xt, I've tried everything but nothing worked...

My fps counter shows 60+ but I only see 5-10fps

@Bananapantsu 

What steps have you taken to correct the issue?

Also I suggest you remove one of the GPU cards to test to see if the problem occurs with one GPU card or when you have 2 GPU cards installed.

It is  best to troubleshoot with just one GPU card to eliminate MGPU setup issues.

0 Likes

@elstaci 

My build:
6600XT XFX Merc (1 monitor/ main MB slot)
5700XT Nitro+ (2 monitors/ secondary slot)
i7 9700k
16GB RAM at 3200
M.2 SSD
MSI Z390-A Pro
650 or 750W PSU
3x 21:9 75hz monitors
HDMI 2.0b
Windows 11 stable release

My issue:
My FPS counter won't drop below 60 but my screen displays 5-10 FPS randomly for an extended period of time, then goes back to normal. If I'm recording, the stuttering doesn't appear in the file.
Windows feels really laggy, both 10 and 11.
If I use Chrome my pc will literally die and can't even play Genshin Impact on low settings.

If I put my friend's Discord stream of Genshin or Overwatch and compare it with my game, their game looks like 60FPS, mine looks like 30 or lower.

What I've tried:

Single gpu
Single/dual monitor
DDU
Fresh Win 10/11
Changing graphic settings in win 11
V-sync
Super resolution
Custom hz in radeon resolution
Using different PSU cables
GPU overclock
Different GPU bios
CPU overclock
Possibly everything (?)

I don't have any of these issues if I use my old RX 580

0 Likes

Also when installing or uninstalling the current AMD driver do the following steps:

1- Download the full AMD Driver package from AMD Download page.

2- Disconnect the Internet from your computer and delete, if created in the past, AMD Installation folder at C:\AMD.

3-Download and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe Mode (Best method) or on your desktop. After it finishes removing the current AMD driver and boots back into Windows Desktop, Run the AMD Driver Package. If it successfully installs, reconnect the Internet again and again deleted the AMD Installation folder at C:\AMD.

The above method will prevent any corrupted AMD Driver installation or conflicts during the AMD Driver installation.

0 Likes

Here's the scan now prompt results. 

I will attempt some 

0 Likes

It is difficult to read the image but I believe you made an error with the command. You have a space between the backward slash and scannow.

Copy and paste the command from here: 

SFC /scannow

It should now run normally.  What happened it didn't recognize the "/" and  "scannow" which wasn't together.

I just copied and pasted the command line above in a elevated PowerShell and this is how it looked after it finished:

Screenshot 2021-10-26 150056.png

This is the way it looks if it didn't find anything wrong with the OS. But is doesn't check to see if your Windows Registry is corrupted or it has a virus infection as an example only. It just checks to make sure you have all the core Windows files and they are all correct.

I will attempt some of the above solutions tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help. Ill post an update to the thread once I get the chance. 

update: I cant say whether the complete refresh of windows or combing through the firewall permissions and resetting the majority that fixed my problem. I no longer have the problem but did said solutions back to back and the problem resolved. 

This User in this current AMD Thread is also having issues with Destiny 2 with a recent legacy GPU card: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/bad-luck-destiny-2-and-r9-380x/m-p/495296#M149559

0 Likes