Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

janjon
Adept I

R9 390 Blackscreen Crash

Issue:
While playing any more demanding game i get crash – screen goes black. I can hear the game and discord for a few second, then nothing.

I usually i have game settings on High, on some games on Medium.

Please help, i tried almost everything, i have re-installed PC, newest drivers, everything... I'm desperate.

System:

Radeon Software Version - 19.2.2

Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1040 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 8 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3
BIOS MS-V30823-F5

PSU Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - 650W

2 LG 27MP77HM monitors 1920x1080 60Hz
      1 connected via HDMI
      1 connedced via DisplayPort –> HDMI reduction –> HDMI

13 Replies
nikenum9
Journeyman III

Hoping there's a fix as I am going through the exact same issue. Same hardware as OP but with an MSI board and AMD 2600. 

Crash time varies from seconds to minutes after bootup. No single action triggers it, though I notice it happens faster when using Google Chrome. Have tried uninstalling everything, full wipe of Windows and hard drive, testing of newly installed apps one at a time. Old Radeon drivers, newest drivers, doesn't make a difference.

0 Likes

I'm thinking about changeing thermal paste, maybe it's overheating issue... I also tried reistalling windows but nothing works

0 Likes
yahaway
Adept II

Still having black screen crashes too! As of 19.2.2 the crash is pretty consistent with games...the driver will crash and the screen goes black and the gpu fans shoot to max rpms. I then have to turn off my pc (via power button) and turn it back on. I don't know maybe something conflicting with my fan curve settings? I only click them to manual and leave it be...otherwise they will get too loud in game.  

0 Likes
gaza1994
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issues as well ... the drivers for this GPU have been a pile of sh*t for many years now!

Absolutely shocking support from them as well!

janjon
Adept I

So i've changed thermal paste and it didn't help.
I've reinstalled windows, reinstalled driveres, i did everything i can think of and it didnt help. 
AMD should do something but they dont help either.

mtlboomcat
Adept I

Just want to add that I've been experiencing this on and off since the beginning of the year as well. It disappeared for a while on 19.9.2 and randomly started again. Thermal paste was changed and a fresh install was done for the issue to go away but for some reason it has returned. Everything is fine until I turn on a game. A few minutes into the game all monitors go black and music continues. The only option is to hold down the power to reboot.

janjon
Adept I

Hello, my solution is to downclock the card (the is a youtube tutorial for that) and to not install the updates right away but i wait about 1 month before i install the new update.

I've read that the problem is caused by bad manufacturing.

Thanks for the heads up. I undervolted my card (r9 390x) and it has been stable so far. I lost 20Mhz on my GPU and 40Mhz on my memory clock but worth it to extend the life of this card. Running 1050 GPU and 1460 Mem with -100mv using afterburner. Temps are idling at 42C and peaking at 74C.

I'd also like to add that I'm running on latest BIOS on GPU and latest drivers as of this writing (19.10.2). I had also changed all thermal pads and thermal grease.

Hope it helps anyone else.

Yes. It's quite sad that a big company like AMD produces shitty card like this.
You buy expensive GPU just to downclock it to make in even work... -_-

I also had to change the thermal grease.

Hi, thanks for your message. I have blackscreen crash with my r9 390 nitro. The temps are okay. It's not the cpu, not the psu, not the ram. I thought it was the gpu drivers and I reinstalled the first of April drivers. The gpu seems more stable, but the crashes continue to appear. Can you tell me how to undervolt the gpu? Thank you! 

0 Likes
grifter
Adept I

hah, having this issue as well. Never had this problem, and since two days, i cant play a game for longer then 5 minutes. Also have a problem when running a benchmark... 
I think you guys use afterburner to downclock? But how? I mean... 

tyish1
Journeyman III

seems the gpu was just overheating for me i used MSI afterburner to turn up the fan speed and it seems to work fine now no more crashes 

0 Likes
saigo41
Journeyman III

After this problem continued for a few months, the device broken completely. I think stopping cooler fans until it hit over 60 degree isn't good idea. Every time I looked at the temperature, something unstable happened on my PC in my experience. I don't want to buy todays high end model gpu cards.

0 Likes