cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

r3al
Adept I

[FIXED] PC Randomly Rebooting when Starting Game (RX6950xt)

Installed new PSU and GPU (Corsair HX1000I and RX 6950 XT) in my PC.
However, when running heavy games, the PC reboots suddenly while in the game menu.

My setup has a 1000W PSU and i9 10900KF, 4x8GB RAM 3600MHz, and RX 6950XT. Previously had a Nvidia GPU and no issues.

Seeking suggestions to resolve the issue.

edit: It turns out it had nothing to do with my new PSU or GPU, the reason why my PC randomly shut down was because my CPU was overheating, i have increased the fan speeds of the water block but still my CPU is going between 31-82 degrees C when idle. Is this normal for an i9 10900k?
I have never had any problems with this CPU in the past.

another edit: The reason why my CPU got up to 82C when idle was because i had a virus or something. This CPU issue got resolved when i re installed Windows.
Now i still have the same issue that my PC keeps rebooting whenever i attempt to run a game.

I have my CPU drivers updated, my bios updated, a complete Windows re install, tried to take 2 ram sticks out, tried to re install AMD software, temperatures are all good, everything good.
But my PC still reboots/crashes every time i attempt to run a game.

I am certain that it is the GPU that is causing all of this.

Still seeking suggestions to resolve the issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution
r3al
Adept I

I have finally fixed this, I had to plug in this Corsair ICUE cable in my Corsair PSU and disable the default dual rail function. now it is set to single rail and my PC no longer crashes/reboots. However my FPS in games are heavily stuttering. Anyone knows what is causing this?

View solution in original post

11 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi, probably Yes. Use DDU to clean completely the old drivers. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

Hey, thank you for doing your best to help me, but it turns out that was not the problem. I had deleted the old Nvidia drivers using DDU but that did not change anything.

I have actually found the issue.
My PC randomly shut down due to CPU overheating, not the new PSU or GPU. Even with increased fan speeds, the i9 10900k CPU still goes from 31-82 degrees C when idle. This is abnormal compared to past experiences with the CPU.

Still seeking suggestions to resolve the issue. And again thank you for trying to help my problem.

Qoojo
Miniboss

Yes, hitting 80C range or even 90C is completely normal with i9 CPUs, even on water cooler like 120mm to 280mm. Generally speaking, 82C, or even 90C, should not cause a reboot as the CPU will throttle at 90c and drop core frequency and performance.

More likely, 82C is a sign that CPU is being used and demanding more power then not getting it. This is governed by way to many bios settings for me to describe. Some motherboards auto overclock and it is not apparent that OC is turned on. In my experience, this is common issue for unstable builds. It could still be PSU related with unstable voltages.

I recommend trying OCCT (it's free) power test for 2-4 minutes, and that will stress your system.

0 Likes

Hey, I know that is is normal for this CPU to hit 95C but it was hitting 82 when idling. It turns out i might have had a virus or something causing it to be so high when idle. This problem got fixed when i re installed Windows.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What was your old Nvidia GPU?

What case are you using (make/model)

What CPU cooler are you running?

How is your airflow throughput in your case? 

Is your motherboards BIOS up to date?

Do you have the latest Intel chipset drivers installed from Intel.com?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

‎‎‎Old GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Super (MSI Gaming X)

PC case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110M

CPU cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R

Airflow: 3 fans in front, CPU cooler with 2 fans on top and one fan at the back.

My Intel drivers and bios are up to date.

I even completely re installed Windows but my PC keeps rebooting every time i attempt to play a game.

0 Likes
r3al
Adept I

0 Likes
r3al
Adept I

I have finally fixed this, I had to plug in this Corsair ICUE cable in my Corsair PSU and disable the default dual rail function. now it is set to single rail and my PC no longer crashes/reboots. However my FPS in games are heavily stuttering. Anyone knows what is causing this?

I have fixed this FPS stuttering issue.

What was causing this issue was my mouse polling rate, i have changed it from 8000 to 1000 and now everything works fine.

0 Likes

8000 per sec is insane. Poor usb.

0 Likes

hmm interesting. good to know about both things, the psu rails and mouse.

0 Likes