Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Renner286
Adept I

RX7800XT and the screen flicker

Hello everyone,

recently my RX6800 started dying out after 3 years of usage, not showing the signal, and my hw dealer had a Sapphire Nitro+ RX7800XT so I've upgraded to it. Installed the latest drivers that were available at that moment (23.10.2), and everything seemed fine till I started noticing a horizontal flicker in the upper half of my monitors. Its mostly happening on my secondary monitor, when I'm playing one the primary one, and also on the main one. Never noticed something like it till now. I just installed the latest 11.1 driver, and the problem still persists.

Searching about it I actually stumbled upon a 3yrs old thread on nV forums, where a bunch of 1660Super users complained about the top screen flickering, similar to mine, and the guy who opened the thread said he even RMAd his card but the replacement had the same issue. Users discovered they can kinda remedy the issue by setting the maximum performance in the driver, instead of the optimized one, which increased temps and power consumption. They even theorized it could be related to Hynix memory (my card is also Hynix), because some people said their friends with Micron chips didn't have this issue.

Eventually, nV acknowledged the issue, saying some 1660s models with earlier BIOSes had this problem and they released a hotfix driver. Most of the people seemed to have the problem solved. The thread was reactivated a couple of years later when some 3080 users appeared to complain about it. I hope its something that can be fixed with the BIOS/driver update, I'm really not in the mood returning the card now.

Specs: 

TR2920X/X399 Taichi

32GB Flare X 3200MHz quad channel RAM

Sapphire Nitro+ RX7800XT (022.002.001.019.000001 BIOS version)

BenQ BL3201PT and BenQ PD3200U connected via DP

Windows 10

Here, I've captured the flicker on camera, since its brief I halved the speed of the video. Its 10 seconds long, pay attention on the right screen, it happens around 5-6 sec mark:

https://youtu.be/yGkNl0s7xlM

0 Likes
1 Solution
Renner286
Adept I

Update:

After reading comments on Videocardz portal, I saw some people mentioning different driver branch for Fluid Motion Frames technical preview, praising them as rock solid and only using them lately, and having no issues with those for the whole time. So I downloaded them last night, and been using them for a whole day now.

It seems like my problems are, if not completely, almost completely solved. I only had one flicker on the bottom of my main screen while gaming. Today I didn't notice any flickers in usual scenarios, like screensaver where I had a flick every minute or two. Or very often on my second screen while gaming on the primary one. Its either gone or its so rare I didn't manage to notice any flickers today.

So, I'm going to stick with this tech preview till you solve those issues in the main branch (or these become a part of it eventually).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Qoojo
Miniboss

With the 23.10.x drivers, I was getting some weird desktop flickering after long sleep. I hate to jinx myself, but switching to GPU scaling seems to have fixed it. I scale fullscreen and only use a single monitor. I doubt that this will help you, but never know.

Renner286
Adept I

Enabled GPU scaling, and scaling mode to full panel, didn't help, I just had flickers while the screensaver was on the display. Thx for the feedback, anyways.

Renner286
Adept I

Update:

After reading comments on Videocardz portal, I saw some people mentioning different driver branch for Fluid Motion Frames technical preview, praising them as rock solid and only using them lately, and having no issues with those for the whole time. So I downloaded them last night, and been using them for a whole day now.

It seems like my problems are, if not completely, almost completely solved. I only had one flicker on the bottom of my main screen while gaming. Today I didn't notice any flickers in usual scenarios, like screensaver where I had a flick every minute or two. Or very often on my second screen while gaming on the primary one. Its either gone or its so rare I didn't manage to notice any flickers today.

So, I'm going to stick with this tech preview till you solve those issues in the main branch (or these become a part of it eventually).