cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

khunpoom
Adept I

Black screen after screen turnoff or sleep mode

My pc has a black screen issue after it goes to sleep or after the screen turn-off. Of course the pc is awake because sometimes I was open YouTube and can still use the keyboard to play the video and the sound comes out like normal and the RGB-light is working.

Sometimes AMD driver also show driver timeout.
I try the new GPU driver and update bios but nothing help.
Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I'm not sure if it's a driver or a hardware issue but it feel like GPU doesn't send a picture after screen turn off 

My Pc spec

windows 11 pro
MB : gigabyte B650m aorus elite bios F4b
CPU : AMD ryzen7600
GPU : RX6650xt
RAM : Lexar ddr5 4800 16gb
SSD : Samsung 980 plus , wd black sn770
PSU : Corsair rm850

26 Replies
xsbx
Adept I

me to with 6600xt

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @khunpoom 

Have you installed anything (hardware and/or software) new that may have caused the issue? 

Also, so that I'm clear, your PC "wakes up" from "sleep mode" but not your monitor? 

Note, you don't have to update your motherboard's BIOS. This step should only be taken if your motherboard's manufacturer suggests it. Or if you have installed a new part/component that is not supported by the motherboard. 

To troubleshoot, I suggest you look at your OS (Windows 11 Pro) Power Options and Additional power settings, and, only if needed, re-install the Display Driver. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Yes ,the PC "wakes up" from "sleep mode" but not monitor there are no signal form GPU

I was try re-install driver and troubleshoot Power Options before. but nothing help. it only re-install window that I'm never try.

For check something the ryzen 7600 is apu ,where should I plug my display cable at the MB or GPU  

Hello. To be honest, re-installing the OS should be your very last option when troubleshooting. That said, you should plug your display directly into your GPU (the AMD Radeon RX 6650XT). In case you are wondering, the integrated graphics in the CPU is automatically powered down when a discrete GPU is installed. So, there won't be a need to "disable it".  

Also, be sure to check your motherboard settings in the BIOS.

Looks like it features its own Onboard Graphics: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/sp#sp

You may have to disable this feature, I'm not 100% sure but it's where I would start troubleshooting. 

I hope this helps! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x GPU: RX 7800 xt .

it still does this today 2024/04 in both sleep and standby modes.
if you turn on the monitor first manually it doesn't tested 50 times driver 24.3.1

**bleep** google translate

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

The simplest solution:  "DISABLE SLEEP MODE".  None of my machines run sleep mode because it is quirky as a barrel of mice.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

This has basically been my solution since I built this system in 2021. It's really convenient to just let the system sleep when I'm not using it, then wake right up when I need it. Having to manually shut down the system, then wait for it to cold boot is only a small inconvenience but I wish the feature would work properly.

My main PC (5800X, 6800XT, X570S Pro AX) had a lot of issues when waking from sleep before I installed the proper X570 chipset drivers from AMD's website. That fixed the crashing issue but I kept having the black screen problem.

My office PC (5600X, 3070, B550 Aorus Elite AX V2) doesn't have any issues with sleep. I can't swap in the 6800XT as that card is watercooled and this system is not.

I have a separate issue with my capture card (elgato 4k60 pro) that won't activate video input after the system wakes from sleep, so if I'm going to be streaming or recording I need to reboot the system anyways.

raez
Journeyman III

Quick update, I seem to have resolved the issue by switching the PCIe slot to Gen3 instead of Gen4.

0 Likes
jeremyfettjr
Journeyman III

I have been having the exact same issue! it started to happen after the new update. I even tried using different monitors, but the issue continues. 

I also have a 6600xt with windows 11, I can tell that the computer is still running even with the screen all black. 

hidarin
Adept I

i also have the same problem with 23.2.1 and 23.2.2.
same with using the amd cleanup utility.
I reverted to 22.11.1 because the previous one did not cause any problems.

MY PC

INTEL
Core i5-12400F

MSI
Radeon RX 6650 XT MECH 2X 8G OC

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm not going to update the display drivers for a while until this is resolved.  I have way too many machines on my LAN to be dealing with this issue.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Talk about multitasking.  When you have more than 3 it is a constant daily chore.  Always something.  Then you always have that one cantankerous machine that refuses to cooperate. lol

23.3.1 might be better to wait and see.
Enabling UPSN seems to be fine,
but disabling UPSN now does the same thing.

Vynski
Exemplar

All I ever see is complaining to AMD in this type of issue.  Why don't you complain to Microsoft for their bug ridden OS and auto updates.  Turn that auto crap OFF!

xdios
Adept I

The same problem stretches from buying a video card in the summer of 2022.
Sapphire 6600/R5 5600/B450 Aorus Elite/Chiftec Proton 600W/Philips 276E9Q(1080\75)
What I tried:
Reset and also updated Bios B450.
Different drivers for the video card and chipset
Win 10\Win 11
HDMI\DisplayPort
Another PCI-E slot

Nothing helps.
The only solution that helped this disable ULPS.

denizycl
Adept I

I was having the same issue. After disabling EnableUlps and EnableUlps_Na on Regedit my issue is totally gone. 

I was going to say this to TS too , disable ULPS. 

Also try not to use any hardware monitoring , since in my experience is not good to AMD driver.

AMD_cire
Challenger

only 22.11.2 can fix that.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G

Hello, the specifications of my pc are:
Rx 6600 R5 5600g
16GB RAM
MSI B550 gaming plus
Pixio PX248 Prime Monitor
I was able to resolve the issue without having to reboot. What I did was change the monitor frequency from the Windows display settings from 144hz to 120hz, then back to 144hz and the black screen no longer appears.

That's a strange bug to discover.  I wonder if it is repeatable?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
compmaster
Adept I

The problem is a bug in AMD video card software. This bug has been ignored for many years. The problem is not in Windows, but in AMD drivers (Nvidia and Intel video cards do not have this problem).
I noticed this problem when using the RX560, RX570, RX5500XT and now with the RX6600XT.
In addition, radeonsoftware.exe often has an error and is restarted (this can be seen in the windows event viewer*). 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/recurring-problem-radeonsoftware-exe/m-p/603281#M17421...

AMD_cire
Challenger

I just try disable Windows Spotlight on Desktop and Login screen and seems it fix it.

You can try it if your Windows Spotlight is on.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G